Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2785019 times)

Offline monsta

• I live here
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #8770 on: 04 August 2018, 08:11 »
Fitted the new novus wheels I got along with a set of Michelin pilot sports. I also got my racingline springs installed and then gave the car a coat of wax. Very pleased with the results :)

Lookimg Sharpe!  :smiley:

Offline deltarikk

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8771 on: 04 August 2018, 08:43 »
Looks fantastic MjrSharpe, great choice of wheels  :wink:

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #8772 on: 04 August 2018, 10:53 »
Currently on holiday and have the pleasure of buzzing round in a brand new Polo.
Fantastic little car, really smooth to drive and has a great interior.
I imagine the GTI version is a blast😎

It is, received our Polo GTI+ on Wednesday. Makes the standard Golf GTI seem seriously overpriced for what the Polo offers at £5k less.

Have I missed a full review somewhere?  :smug:

I'd be really keen to hear how it compares to the R.
My son has the MQB chassis Ibiza and it feels damn near as well made as my Golf with the exception of a few cheap bits of lower door and dash plastic and the actual doors don't quite have that solid feeling the Golf doors have. However, unless you spend your life slamming the doors for tactile pleasure and scratching your fingers down the plastic sections of door trim because you spend too much time reading mainstream motoring magazines who like to nit pick small faults to justify their existence yet ignore the fact a lot of current generation French cars are made of tinfoil...

Anyway, where was I?
Oh yes. The new Polo GTI+ interests me (on the back of experience of the Ibiza) as the next gen Golf R will be an easy £40k and that's way out of my league to justify spending on a humble Golf, plus I'm not convinced with the hybrid technology as yet which is probably not a great deal of use around hilly West Country lanes. Light weight and plenty of torque to pull the car out of bends it the order of the day here, not doing electric propulsion drag races up the city bypass.

Besides, my Clubsport is a garage ornament and I'm currently looking at a massively increased commute, so a relatively cheap Polo GTI+ could be a good car to replace the Ed40 with as it'd be well suited to the mostly 40mph governed commute around the rural lanes.
DSG gearbox to avoid chocolate clutches and an easy 300bhp remapped...  :whistle:
I always assumed you’d buy something smaller eventually as you’ve mentioned the Up GTI more than once😀
I think the Polo GTI is all the car 99% of people would actually ever need.
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline MjrSharpe

• Here all the time
« Reply #8773 on: 04 August 2018, 11:12 »
Appreciate it thank you :)
2016 GTI - Tornado Red, M52 remap, DTUK Pedal box, dv+, racingline turbo elbow, forge turbo muffler delete, racingline springs, racingline stage 2 BBK, novus 0.1 wheels, injen induction kit ,st rear anti roll bar, TT short shift, 034 motorsports dogbone upper / lower inserts, sachs organic clutch, custom stainless steel exhaust, res delete, leyo bezels, oettinger rear spoiler, maxton splitter, golf r rear lights

Offline Splashalot

• Here all the time
« Reply #8774 on: 04 August 2018, 12:20 »
Fitted the new novus wheels I got along with a set of Michelin pilot sports. I also got my racingline springs installed and then gave the car a coat of wax. Very pleased with the results :)

Lookimg Sharpe!  :smiley:

That......is perfect. One of the best GTIs I've seen. The colour, the wheels.....perfect.
1972 Turquoise Superbug S; 1978 Miami Blue Golf GLS; 2007 Mk5 Tornado Red Golf GTI; 2017 Golf 7.5 Trendline Tungsten Silver 1.4ltr 110TSi with DAP; 2018 Tornado Red GTI with DAP.  All MT.  Current: 2021 Mini Cooper SE, British racing green.

Offline naxcars

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8775 on: 04 August 2018, 14:15 »

* fitted the rear centre caps after the photo as I had to modify them slightly to fit !
Few questions on your fantastic choice of wheels:

1.  Can you use the oem centre caps?
2.  Did you go for 19"s or are these 18"s with spacers?
3. Oh and where did you source the side decal from and who fitted it as I want one for my Rline which is in white and I think will look quite good in the black
« Last Edit: 04 August 2018, 14:17 by naxcars »
2014 Golf GTI Performance Pack: Nav & Rear Parking Camera, DTUK FRS+

Offline MjrSharpe

• Here all the time
« Reply #8776 on: 04 August 2018, 17:03 »
Hi and thank thanks :)
The wheels I have are 18, but 19s are available and still fit the car although they are 8.5 rather than 8.
The oem Center caps don’t fit, as they are too large. I have ordered 54mm ones from the bay.
I don’t have spacers on, but the wheels are et 42 and 8 wise instead of 7.5 so in total sit out an additional 13 mm.
The strips I got from eBay

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F112852060394

I specified GTI and then trimmed them slightly to fit which I did myself after much frustration !
2016 GTI - Tornado Red, M52 remap, DTUK Pedal box, dv+, racingline turbo elbow, forge turbo muffler delete, racingline springs, racingline stage 2 BBK, novus 0.1 wheels, injen induction kit ,st rear anti roll bar, TT short shift, 034 motorsports dogbone upper / lower inserts, sachs organic clutch, custom stainless steel exhaust, res delete, leyo bezels, oettinger rear spoiler, maxton splitter, golf r rear lights

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #8777 on: 05 August 2018, 03:25 »

I always assumed you’d buy something smaller eventually as you’ve mentioned the Up GTI more than once😀
I think the Polo GTI is all the car 99% of people would actually ever need.

Did I mention an up! GTI at some point?  :lipsrsealed:
If the up! GTI had been out 12 months or maybe a little more earlier it would have been perfect for me as all I needed were a couple of town cars at the time. One of those would’ve been a cheapish fun project.

My son ended up getting a new Ibiza FR with the same engine instead.

I don’t think I could seriously swap the Clubsport out for a Polo GTI+ but the latter is an intriguing car as going from experience with the Ibiza it’s very capable and decent quality, much cheaper and damn near as big inside
I could lease or PCP a Polo GTI+ and release some of the capital from the Clubsport to drop my mortgage if it could be done cheaply enough.
The slight issue being I’m incredibly fond of the Ed40  :kiss:

17 months old and the Clubsport has still only done 3600 miles  :whistle:

I’ve been offered a very cheap and very ratty mk5 Golf 170 TDI which night be a better option to commute in keeping the mileage off the Ed40.
The only worry there being a mk5 TDI could end up an unreliable money pit!  :grin:

Hi and thank thanks :)
The wheels I have are 18, but 19s are available and still fit the car although they are 8.5 rather than 8.
The oem Center caps don’t fit, as they are too large. I have ordered 54mm ones from the bay.
I don’t have spacers on, but the wheels are et 42 and 8 wise instead of 7.5 so in total sit out an additional 13 mm.
The strips I got from eBay

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F112852060394

I specified GTI and then trimmed them slightly to fit which I did myself after much frustration !

The wheels (and indeed the whole car) look fab MjrSharpe.
An excellent choice. The style suits the mk7 perfectly and from the photo they look bigger than 18” yet still benefit from much cheaper smaller tyres. Great choice :afro:
Perfect width and offset for a mk7 too.

I wonder if OEM MK4 Golf wheel centrecaps would fit(?) as they’re a little bit smaller than mk7 caps.
They might be a bit too small though. I can’t remember the exact diameter of them now. I’ll see if I can find one to measure buried in a box somewhere in my garage. 
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #8778 on: 05 August 2018, 09:19 »
A Mk5 170 could be a money pit due to it's afterthought DPF. My old Mk6 GT TDI will be up for sale next week if that's the sort of thing that would suit. 4 new tyres, new genuine EGR and a recent cambelt.
« Last Edit: 05 August 2018, 09:25 by dubber36 »
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Mike J

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8779 on: 05 August 2018, 11:58 »
I had a Mk5 170 tdi for nearly two years and +25k miles and it never missed a beat.
The only problem was the bonnet catch froze because I never opened it and the service team had to cut it open!
I complained so much (VW, reliability etc) that they replaced the latch for free.

Traded it in when it needed a major service, new tyres and a cam belt change -  :whistle: