Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2785019 times)

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #8750 on: 30 July 2018, 12:44 »

Not so much "what I did to my GTI", more "what some twonk did to my GTI in Waitrose car park"...

We are not amused.

It’s so annoying when that happens, and more often than not, the perpetrator doesn’t take responsibility for their actions :angry:

On a positive note, it doesn’t look as if the paint has been damaged, and being the front wheel arch, it’s easy to gain access to the inside of the panel once the wheel arch liner’s been removed. So, a good paintless dent removal operative should be able to sort that out quickly and easily at a reasonable cost.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Splashalot

• Here all the time
« Reply #8751 on: 30 July 2018, 13:26 »
(Sorry about the "quote post" fail)

".....The problem is, it won't ever be just dust unless of course you only park and use your car indoors!"

Probably a different scenario here in Aus where we often get hot northerly winds which bring dust from the country's dry interior, but no rain. So the ability to quickly "dust" the car can be a Godsend.  Very annoying to wash the car only to have winds at night leaving it the next day looking like you have just crossed the Simpson desert!
« Last Edit: 30 July 2018, 13:34 by Splashalot »
1972 Turquoise Superbug S; 1978 Miami Blue Golf GLS; 2007 Mk5 Tornado Red Golf GTI; 2017 Golf 7.5 Trendline Tungsten Silver 1.4ltr 110TSi with DAP; 2018 Tornado Red GTI with DAP.  All MT.  Current: 2021 Mini Cooper SE, British racing green.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #8752 on: 30 July 2018, 21:39 »
Quick wash tonight  :cool:

NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Davey-c

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8753 on: 30 July 2018, 21:44 »
Fantastic colour. Looks great in any light.👍🏻
2023 Golf R 20 Years, Lapiz Blue, 19 Inch Black Estoril Alloys, Rear Camera, Harmon Kardon Sound System.

Offline Mike J

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8754 on: 31 July 2018, 09:35 »

Not so much "what I did to my GTI", more "what some twonk did to my GTI in Waitrose car park"...

We are not amused.

Thats a trolley I would wager Mike.
A large white 4x4 scraped my last Golf when it was parked in West Quay so your not alone.
Some drivers have no concern for other peoples property or cannot drive accurately, or both.

Offline deltarikk

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8755 on: 31 July 2018, 14:00 »
These arrived from US today and were on the car soon after  :laugh:

Offline Dr Mike Oxgreen

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8756 on: 31 July 2018, 14:10 »

We are not amused.

It’s so annoying when that happens, and more often than not, the perpetrator doesn’t take responsibility for their actions :angry:

On a positive note, it doesn’t look as if the paint has been damaged, and being the front wheel arch, it’s easy to gain access to the inside of the panel once the wheel arch liner’s been removed. So, a good paintless dent removal operative should be able to sort that out quickly and easily at a reasonable cost.

Thanks for the sympathetic responses.  It's immensely frustrating, and of course there was nobody around when I got back to the car (which, as always, was in the furthest corner of the car park), bearing in mind that this was Lymington, the average inhabitant's age being 80+.  I was chatting to the owner of one of the shops in the High Street, a keen biker, ex BSB racer, who often rides to work and parks his bike in a "Motorcycles only" parking bay opposite his shop.  He stood in his shop one day, and watched some old Doris reverse into his bike, knock it over, and drive off blissfully unaware.

A local dent removal company, which I have used before for another car park dent, has been contacted.

Offline monsta

• I live here
« Reply #8757 on: 01 August 2018, 21:30 »
I wouldn't be using anything like that on a dusty car! You'll end up with tiny scratches over time. If it's dusty wash it  :whistle:

Yeah you'd think it would be really bad but trust me, it works.

Can confirm these indeed do work.  If you're brainless enough to use them like a scrubbing brush, of course the paintwork will scratch. But all it takes to remove the dust is the lightest of brush across the surface - almost not touching at all.

The problem is, it won't ever be just dust unless of course you only park and use your car indoors!

(Sorry about the "quote post" fail)

".....The problem is, it won't ever be just dust unless of course you only park and use your car indoors!"

Probably a different scenario here in Aus where we often get hot northerly winds which bring dust from the country's dry interior, but no rain. So the ability to quickly "dust" the car can be a Godsend.  Very annoying to wash the car only to have winds at night leaving it the next day looking like you have just crossed the Simpson desert!

Don't get me wrong you can't use it once it's rained.  The road I live in means that after washing the car within a couple of hours there is dust on it from passing cars.  If you keep on top of it (i.e. in the morning or evening every day) then you are only ever lifting off a very light layer of dust and it works well.  I wouldn't be without it, I'd be washing my car every day in the summer the amount it seems to attract.

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #8758 on: 02 August 2018, 17:08 »
Some might say this is a little obsessive.  :grin:
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #8759 on: 03 August 2018, 08:45 »
Currently on holiday and have the pleasure of buzzing round in a brand new Polo.
Fantastic little car, really smooth to drive and has a great interior.
I imagine the GTI version is a blast😎
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16