Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2785077 times)

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #8080 on: 01 February 2018, 16:02 »
Given up on getting cf mirror caps so decided to get the common back ones :rolleyes: Wanted to wash the car before fitting but at the rate I'm going it'll be spring before that happens. Gave them a couple of coats of wax before fitting and I'm very pleased with them :smiley:

I preferred the black and red carbon ones :whistle:

Joking, they will look good with the other black bits on the car.

See! I knew they were tasteful! :whistle:
Thanks, the other 'black' bits are likely to remain manky brown for some time but I think it's going to look much better. Mind you, I really need to grow up and not be bothered by such triviality :rolleyes:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #8081 on: 01 February 2018, 17:27 »
Given up on getting cf mirror caps so decided to get the common back ones :rolleyes: Wanted to wash the car before fitting but at the rate I'm going it'll be spring before that happens. Gave them a couple of coats of wax before fitting and I'm very pleased with them :smiley:

I preferred the black and red carbon ones :whistle:

Joking, they will look good with the other black bits on the car.

See! I knew they were tasteful! :whistle:
Thanks, the other 'black' bits are likely to remain manky brown for some time but I think it's going to look much better. Mind you, I really need to grow up and not be bothered by such triviality :rolleyes:

They'll be the same colour in a few miles.
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #8082 on: 01 February 2018, 22:31 »

@Watts; They look good. New black wheels to match next then?

My car cleaning OCD would mean I’d really struggle with a combination of spotlessly clean mirrors but a dirty car. :shocked:, so I’d have to had waited until I washed the car before fitting the mirror covers. :grin:

It would give me an incentive to clean the car though.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #8083 on: 01 February 2018, 23:12 »

@Watts; They look good. New black wheels to match next then?

My car cleaning OCD would mean I’d really struggle with a combination of spotlessly clean mirrors but a dirty car. :shocked:, so I’d have to had waited until I washed the car before fitting the mirror covers. :grin:

It would give me an incentive to clean the car though.

No, I'm sticking with the wheels! I really didn't want to fit them to a dirty car but I just can't find a combination of off, dry and able - last wash was at the end of November :embarrassed: Next purchase will probably be a DA :whistle:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #8084 on: 02 February 2018, 08:49 »
Installed better LED bulbs for the front and rear footwell lighting. They actually aren't quite as bright as the image here makes out, I think the camera is just more sensitive to red light.

2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline o`Neil

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8085 on: 02 February 2018, 08:53 »
Next purchase will probably be a DA :whistle:

My next purchase too, I was actually looking at them last night but don`t know where the hell to start, more research needed  :smiley:

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #8086 on: 02 February 2018, 09:27 »

My next purchase too, I was actually looking at them last night but don`t know where the hell to start, more research needed  :smiley:

Headover to the detailing section, plenty of threads on there with advice. I think I'm going to go with this one - http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polishing-machines/das-6-pro-dual-action-polisher/das-6-pro-meguiars-microfiber-system/prod_963.html - a good combination of performance and price. The Meguiars system has been recommended too.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #8087 on: 02 February 2018, 11:42 »

I'm worried for Watts when he buys the DA, I'm not sure how he will take the shock of opening his wallet that far :whistle: :laugh:
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #8088 on: 02 February 2018, 11:43 »

Headover to the detailing section, plenty of threads on there with advice. I think I'm going to go with this one - http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polishing-machines/das-6-pro-dual-action-polisher/das-6-pro-meguiars-microfiber-system/prod_963.html - a good combination of performance and price. The Meguiars system has been recommended too.

Jesus!  Haven’t you bought one yet!  Cars will be extinct by the time you clear the moths out of your wallet.  :grin:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #8089 on: 02 February 2018, 11:51 »

Do a search, plenty of recommendations in the detailing section.  Look at kits to get you started.  Some threads here, with recommendations and links to kits.

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=276899.msg2530314#msg2530314

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=280786.0

Have a read of some of this thread below from reply #1432 to #1455,which discusses important factors such as choosing a DA that will take both full size pads and spot pads (different backing plates) as not all do.  As a first DA I would advise you choose one that takes both to give you maximum flexibility.

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=274783.msg2578069#msg2578069

Also think about the ‘throw’ of the DA. They range from 8” throw to 15” to 21”.  The ‘throw’ is the measurement that the plate moves/oscillates in a random rotation, and determines how much ground is covered during the oscillation of the plate/pad.  The bigger the throw the more ground covered, so more ground with less effort, but also less control.  Larger throw is better when you’ve got a bit of experience under your belt.  8” is good to start of with, and often larger throw machines have a different backing plate assembly so don’t take the aforementioned spot pats which hugely limits things. 
« Last Edit: 02 February 2018, 11:57 by Booth11 »
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11