Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2785052 times)

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #7930 on: 08 January 2018, 10:25 »
(well yesterday) Cleaned the GTD for the first time since early December in sub zero conditions  :laugh: :laugh:

Seriously it was the dirtiest it's ever been and I was ashamed of it, and despite it being covered in thick frost when I started (-1.5°C) I soldiered on. Looks fab now (i'll throw some images up later), but when I was drying it, the water was freezing on the paintwork and glass, so I had to use my Metro Vac - Sidekick Blaster drier to warm the area slightly (the air comes out slightly warm), then dry each spot at a time. Took a whilst but got the whole car done, and really pleased with it, despite not being able to feel my fingers afterwards  :laugh: :laugh:

Trouble is, I now it will only be a few days and it will look minging again !

Came out this morning at 6.30am after a really cold night and it was almost completely white. Sat in the car for a few minutes with the heated windscreen, rear screen, mirrors and seat heaters on. Plays havoc with MPG, but I'd rather that than having to get out and scrape the windows.

Tell me about it, done mine yesterday as it was covered in salt and crap in a rather warmer 1-2°

At least at this time of year we don't have to worry about water spots drying on the car. I don't it at a friend's and it was already starting to get dirty by the time I got home.
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #7931 on: 08 January 2018, 10:46 »
Thanks for the kind words everyone. I am feeling very low and upset about it this evening and as for my wife....
I’m sure anyone who’s been victim of stuff like this will know the feelings I’m talking about.  :sad:

I have a brand new R on order. It’s a mess. My wife wants me to cancel it. I’m finding it hard to disagree with her at this point tbh. Doing so means making life difficult for myself and the dealers. And I’ll still need to then figure out what to do with the current one.  It just sucks.

f**king wayne kerrs Joe, is there no way you can your pir to trigger a small alarm? Providing you don't have trees setting it off all the time.

Offline Papa John

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7932 on: 10 January 2018, 17:53 »
Quote from: Jolly nice chap
Thank you Peter  :cool:

Good luck Papa John  :smiley:

Thanks for that fella as it works! DesNav seems quite a good choice as the maps have sufficient detail and it's quite snappy in use/quick to load and route. Routing isn't too bad either. As with all things GPS related, the result you end up with depends entirely on the question asked of it? Plenty options available and I like the overspeed warning of the refs whistle and the fact that the point this activates can be tweaked.  :nerd:

Impressed with the box, I've gone and bought another much smaller box that enables phone mirroring. Don't tell the wife....

More on that story later.  :whistle:

Papa John.
« Last Edit: 10 January 2018, 17:56 by Papa John »
2015 Tornado Red 5dr GTI PP, Manual, Austin wheels.

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #7933 on: 10 January 2018, 19:12 »
Thanks for the kind words everyone. I am feeling very low and upset about it this evening and as for my wife....
I’m sure anyone who’s been victim of stuff like this will know the feelings I’m talking about.  :sad:

I have a brand new R on order. It’s a mess. My wife wants me to cancel it. I’m finding it hard to disagree with her at this point tbh. Doing so means making life difficult for myself and the dealers. And I’ll still need to then figure out what to do with the current one.  It just sucks.

f**king wayne kerrs Joe

That's some auto correction  :grin:

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
« Reply #7934 on: 13 January 2018, 17:13 »
Tucked her away in the garage for 4 months while I'm off away. Handbrake off, wheels chocked and battery disconnected.

Didn't even bother with anything to cover her up - the bit of dust will be removed on the first wash. It'll need an MOT by the time I return too  :sad:
2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #7935 on: 13 January 2018, 17:19 »
Tucked her away in the garage for 4 months while I'm off away. Handbrake off, wheels chocked and battery disconnected.

Didn't even bother with anything to cover her up - the bit of dust will be removed on the first wash. It'll need an MOT by the time I return too  :sad:

Did you put extra pressure in the tyres or jack the car up a bit and support it a little front and back to take some weight off the tyres and suspension?

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
« Reply #7936 on: 13 January 2018, 17:58 »

Did you put extra pressure in the tyres or jack the car up a bit and support it a little front and back to take some weight off the tyres and suspension?

Might have missed that bit - I've got a compressor and might do it in the morning - not a clue what pressures to set them to. Not got anything to hold it off the floor though, so just the tyres to inflate a bit.
2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!

Offline Richyb

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7937 on: 13 January 2018, 19:10 »
Not so much as what I’ve done to the car today however tomorrow I plan to take the Mrs out to an empty Sunday evening car park and show her the ways of the DSG. She’s only ever driven 106s and Fiestas.

Whilst giving an initial briefing today she says “we could drive it in a field”. I was lost for words.

Wish me luck for tomorrow...
2015 MK7 GTI DSG, Limestone Grey, Leather, Nav Pro

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #7938 on: 13 January 2018, 19:25 »

Might have missed that bit - I've got a compressor and might do it in the morning - not a clue what pressures to set them to. Not got anything to hold it off the floor though, so just the tyres to inflate a bit.

I'd go high 40's Graham.

Offline Jdm owner

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7939 on: 13 January 2018, 20:08 »
Been of the road since September. Currently in the dealers first Mot, handbrake recall update,
And service including the diff oil change.