Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2785009 times)

Offline clubsport

• I live here
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #6760 on: 09 June 2017, 10:43 »
From a warranty point of view there is no way that VW will let you take the new wheel away and fit it elsewhere.

They fit the new one and will insist on keeping the old one.

When I had new wheels fitted I asked if I could supply 2 new tyres, they would only let me buy new tyres from them at 3x the price of a competitive supplier or refit the existing 1/2 worn tyres.

I let them put the old tyres on the new wheels!

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #6761 on: 09 June 2017, 10:54 »
From a warranty point of view there is no way that VW will let you take the new wheel away and fit it elsewhere.

They fit the new one and will insist on keeping the old one.

When I had new wheels fitted I asked if I could supply 2 new tyres, they would only let me buy new tyres from them at 3x the price of a competitive supplier or refit the existing 1/2 worn tyres.

I let them put the old tyres on the new wheels!

I've done it before after a dealer scratched wheels on my car. Took the wheels away in their boxes and had them fitted and dropped the scratched wheel back to them the next day.
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #6762 on: 09 June 2017, 13:45 »
I'm not too bothered about them fitting it as they now know that if they balls it up, they will be having to get yet another new wheel
What I would like to do is view the wheel and then keep it in my car for a week until it gets fitted, as it's sods law that some prick will damage it while it's being stored :rolleyes:
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #6763 on: 09 June 2017, 14:33 »
I'm not too bothered about them fitting it as they now know that if they balls it up, they will be having to get yet another new wheel
What I would like to do is view the wheel and then keep it in my car for a week until it gets fitted, as it's sods law that some prick will damage it while it's being stored :rolleyes:

Why can't they fit it when you are in seeing the wheel? It is only a 5 minute job.

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #6764 on: 09 June 2017, 14:41 »

Why can't they fit it when you are in seeing the wheel? It is only a 5 minute job.
You would think so wouldn't you?
It's more like an hour in reality but I couldn't even have a guess at why it takes that amount of time.
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #6765 on: 09 June 2017, 15:27 »

You would think so wouldn't you?
It's more like an hour in reality but I couldn't even have a guess at why it takes that amount of time.

I think I may have figured out why the damage and lengthy time it takes them.

Offline Paul70

• Here all the time
« Reply #6766 on: 09 June 2017, 19:23 »
First mod for the Clubsport - a nice shiny new 034 dogbone mount to tighten things up a bit. Next of the list Cup2 tyres and a pedal box.
2016 MK7 Clubsport ED40 3 Door Manual Reflex Silver with Recaros
2013 MK7 GTI Black 5 Door (Non PP)
Long gone -1984 Helios Blue Campaign MK1 GTI

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6767 on: 10 June 2017, 17:34 »
 Decided it was finally time to Krytox the door seals and window felts.  Recently had the beginnings of a telltale creaking from drivers' door perimeter area (maybe rear passenger door) at low speeds, reminiscent of my old mk6 creaking seals/felts problem.  Wanted to nip it in the bud before it starts to drive me to distraction.

Cleaned the seals first with Panel Wipe then decanted some Krytox onto a saucer and appplied carefully with a detailing brush (instead of usual fingertips) which was great for getting into the groove of the soft main door seal, and for avoiding it going on surrounding paintwork.  Also applied to window felts, which are often the cause of the creaking, and all other contact seals. Left the lubricant for a while then wiped over with an old microfibre towel to get the excess off.   

Been out for a drive since and creaking is gone.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #6768 on: 10 June 2017, 17:50 »
Good tips, thanks for posting, mine is creaking worse than ever despite a few coats of the stuff - I think I've been too mean with it.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Eccie

• Here all the time
  • Keyless & Penniless
« Reply #6769 on: 10 June 2017, 17:54 »
Its good stuff Booth, I had a creak on the dash of my wife merc, slipped in a little of this and bingo !