Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2784992 times)

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #6720 on: 03 June 2017, 23:09 »
It makes me wonder with the wheel whether VW have a stock of refurbished wheels they send out as warranty replacements.
Obviously wheels that are replaced under warranty go somewhere so it would make financial sense for VW to get them refurbed and then used to replace other wheels that are coming in from dealerships under warranty claims.

Based on my experience with the diamond cut wheels on my mk6 that were replaced under warranty, I think you're spot on Exonian.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #6721 on: 03 June 2017, 23:14 »
I am quite fussy and had 4 Austins replaced on my GTi.
They were new wheels and not refurbished, I checked them over carefully before taking the car away after fitment.
So VW can fit new wheels when required!

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #6722 on: 03 June 2017, 23:21 »
VW do a thing with alloys where you take your damaged ones in for warranty replacement and they send yours to be refurbed while fitting a freshly refurbed one to yours. They very rarely fit brand new ones and will fit silver balancing weights too. Quite why they have counter balanced the weights that were already on is beyond me but I wouldn't be accepting that wheel. Seems like all vw dealers are the same as that's exactly what happened on my Tiguan. They either aren't trained properly or its just total incomepetance!!
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #6723 on: 03 June 2017, 23:46 »
That wheel looks like it's been powder coated, not the factory black paint. New wheel my arse.

My thoughts as well, look at the inner rim edge, looks like a ding in the edge and painted over.
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #6724 on: 03 June 2017, 23:50 »
I've seen parts come into dealers from VW Germany in bits loads of times! It's like they don't give a f**k! The alloys are shipped in flimsy cardboard boxes, no packaging or bubble wrap. Any wonder they arrive in bits. One of my rear light clusters needed replacing under warranty early in ownership. It took 3 attempts to get a unit that wasn't damaged in transit....

There's no way a genuine straight wheel should need that amount of balancing weights. It's either a f**ked wheel or an incompetent fitter. Either as likely as the other.

If I remember correctly the mark on your original wheel was tiny? I'd have left well enough alone tbh. Your original wheel was in better condition than the replacement. It's not worth the aggravation dealing with dealers unless absolutely necessary imo. Rarely worth the hassle.
« Last Edit: 03 June 2017, 23:53 by JoeGTI »
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #6725 on: 04 June 2017, 08:34 »
I'm of the same opinion now Joe after the Tiguan wheel debacle I had. They managed to counter balance all 4 wheels and damaged three of the four even though I only went in for one replacement!
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #6726 on: 04 June 2017, 08:35 »
I've seen parts come into dealers from VW Germany in bits loads of times! It's like they don't give a f**k! The alloys are shipped in flimsy cardboard boxes, no packaging or bubble wrap. Any wonder they arrive in bits. One of my rear light clusters needed replacing under warranty early in ownership. It took 3 attempts to get a unit that wasn't damaged in transit....

There's no way a genuine straight wheel should need that amount of balancing weights. It's either a f**ked wheel or an incompetent fitter. Either as likely as the other.

If I remember correctly the mark on your original wheel was tiny? I'd have left well enough alone tbh. Your original wheel was in better condition than the replacement. It's not worth the aggravation dealing with dealers unless absolutely necessary imo. Rarely worth the hassle.
You're right Joe. I should have left well alone :smiley:
Serves me right for being a fussy bastard :cry:
I'm sure I will eventually get a wheel of them that doesn't look like it's been fitted by a one armed drunk but it may take a while.

5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #6727 on: 04 June 2017, 08:50 »
That wheel looks like it's been powder coated, not the factory black paint. New wheel my arse.
My thoughts exactly.
When you closely, there are tiny burrs around all 5 wheel bolt holes while my original wheels are perfect.
This is not over by a long way.

Great shine on the car  :cool: and I love the driveway too.

It makes me wonder with the wheel whether VW have a stock of refurbished wheels they send out as warranty replacements.
Obviously wheels that are replaced under warranty go somewhere so it would make financial sense for VW to get them refurbed and then used to replace other wheels that are coming in from dealerships under warranty claims.
You have to be right mate, there's no way this wheel is even close to being new and it's been sent to them direct from VW.
What the picture doesn't show is an area that looks like it has a handful of sand underneath the paint :shocked:
It's beginning to make my driveway look untidy :grin:

I laid some new turf at the front of the house this week that will finish everything off nicely when it beds in.
I will get some pics up when I can to bore everybody further :whistle:
« Last Edit: 04 June 2017, 10:41 by kalimon »
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6728 on: 04 June 2017, 10:07 »
My thoughts exactly.
When you closely, there are tiny burrs around all 5 wheel bolt holes while my original wheels are perfect.
This is not over by a long way.

Great shine on the car  :cool: and I love the driveway too.

You have to right mate, there's no way this wheel is even close to being new and it's been sent to them direct from VW.
What the picture doesn't show is an area that looks like it has a handful of sand underneath the paint :shocked:
It's beginning to make my driveway look untidy :grin:

I laid some new turf at the front of the house this week that will finish everything off nicely when it beds in.
I will get some pics up when I can to bore everybody further :whistle:

We need a new thread where people can show off their driveways!  :grin:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #6729 on: 07 June 2017, 16:20 »
Had an email from the dealers to tell me that they have yet another alloy for my car :rolleyes:
I will be going over it in great detail before it even goes near my car.....I might even put my readers on :grin:
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP