Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2785075 times)

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #6420 on: 03 April 2017, 22:28 »
I used sandpaper to scrub them down first. That removed a lot of the surface rust. Then cleaned down the dirt/dust with white spirits.

Then 2 coats of hammerite smooth, hand-brushed on.

I wasn't particularly fussed with masking anything off, I just wiped off any excess with the white spirits. I thought it might look crap with paint brush marks but I actually surprised myself with how well they turned out!
Thanks for that, I'll be doing mine when I get a chance :smiley:
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline gtiaps

• I live here
« Reply #6421 on: 03 April 2017, 22:29 »
I used sandpaper to scrub them down first. That removed a lot of the surface rust. Then cleaned down the dirt/dust with white spirits.

Then 2 coats of hammerite smooth, hand-brushed on.

I wasn't particularly fussed with masking anything off, I just wiped off any excess with the white spirits. I thought it might look crap with paint brush marks but I actually surprised myself with how well they turned out!

If I can just point out Joe.. please keep an eye on them because as I remember normal Hammerite isn't heat resistant and a mate of mine that did his well quite a few years back had problems with the paint softening when his calipers and hubs got warm and it finished up having the paint flung around the inside of the wheel.
I personally have used E.Tech heat resistant calliper paint in the past same as what I'm going to be putting on mine

:whistle:
2010 Candy White Scirocco 2.0 TDI
2016 Carbon Grey Gti 2.0 Fully Loaded

COLLECTED 29/4/2016 and well pleased with the GTI😆😆

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #6422 on: 03 April 2017, 22:55 »
Yeah I'll keep an eye on them. I don't expect it to be a permanent fix that's for sure but they're a hell of a lot better now than what they were. Loads of other people have used hammerite with good results too.

I wanted to avoid the rattle can approach too if possible. It might give a smoother finish but it needs a lot more prep (masking off etc incase of overspray) which I just wasn't arsed about doing.
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline gtiaps

• I live here
« Reply #6423 on: 04 April 2017, 06:41 »
Yeah I'll keep an eye on them. I don't expect it to be a permanent fix that's for sure but they're a hell of a lot better now than what they were. Loads of other people have used hammerite with good results too.

I wanted to avoid the rattle can approach too if possible. It might give a smoother finish but it needs a lot more prep (masking off etc incase of overspray) which I just wasn't arsed about doing.

E-Tech is brush painted on Joe on my previous cars it lasted 2yr before reaplying it's been on the wife's scirocco about a yr now and no sign of degradation or rust coming through tbh it's well worth it in my experience  :whistle:

Offline clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #6424 on: 04 April 2017, 08:08 »
I used silver heat resistant paint before the "last time" I painted the rear brake hubs/bells. Despite 2 coats some rust spots came through after the winter.

This time I tried 2 coats of smooth hammerite, that should address the rust issue, let's see how we get on with heat.
For road use the rear discs really shouldn't get that hot.

Offline GolfTi

• I live here
  • ..gotta feel for my automobile..
« Reply #6425 on: 04 April 2017, 20:18 »
After several months of thinking 'nice wheels, shame about the rust' I have had my hubs done.

What a difference it makes
Mk7 GTI. DBP, DCC, Winter pack. Mine since new, July 2013.
GTI no. 4. Golf no. 5.  VW no. 7.

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #6426 on: 05 April 2017, 15:49 »
Cleaned it in readiness for it's first service on Friday

5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline gtiaps

• I live here
« Reply #6427 on: 05 April 2017, 15:51 »

Very nice... did mine at the weekend will be done again in prep for 1st service on the 29th  :whistle:

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #6428 on: 05 April 2017, 16:05 »
The things you have to do  :rolleyes:
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #6429 on: 05 April 2017, 16:17 »

Looks great Kalimon! Hope they treat it with the care it deserves.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.