Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2785072 times)

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #6270 on: 08 March 2017, 11:45 »
Went to the dealer's yesterday to sort out what they were going to about the scratch and swirling on the car. I had a quote from Barry at Auto Detox for just the swirlmarks and the scratch of £460 and Barry said the scratch was too deep to get rid of but he could get it to a point where it would be only noticeable under certain lighting and angle conditions which I would prefer over respraying the rear quarter of the car.

Anyway after leaving me sitting at a desk for nearly an hour they refused to pay for the damage do I rejected the car. Roll on a Mk7.5

Oh lord. Sounds very drastic action to take over a small scratch imo.  :shocked:
Sods law you'll have the car a week and it'll pick up another little scratch or the first of many stone chips anyway.

They should have offered to pay for the machine polish though.

Yes it is drastic but I they told me that they were not going to pay for it and that was that and that I had taken the car. Quick chat with my solicitor before going in so I know where I stood. I wasn't asking for a loan car when mine was getting done or any other costs than the rectification. I could have asked for a car to be painted which would have cost more than twice as much.

They obviously thought that I would just go away, you should have seen there faces when I said fine, I'm rejecting the car :grin:

On a plus point I'm going to spec up a Mk7.5 GTi today, with a different dealer. After all I really wanted a GTi :laugh:

Shame they pushed into this but great you are looking at the positives - roll on your GTI! It might have only been a scratch but it should have been blemish free - they do get marked and chipped fairly quickly but you expect it to be okay when you collect it. As you say, they probably expected you to go away so good on you for rejecting it! :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #6271 on: 08 March 2017, 16:56 »
The lesson to be learnt is to never ever let a dealer prep a car, ever.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
« Reply #6272 on: 08 March 2017, 17:04 »

+1 to that. After my Pearl Black GTD arrive with bad swirl marks in 2 places, that was never going to happen again! I cannot believe how low on their priorities proper paint prep is. It's not rocket science! My GTI was 99.5% perfect under the wraps. All I had to do was clean off glue etc. If you use the right products, no rubbing is necessary, so no paint marks. Simples.
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6273 on: 08 March 2017, 19:24 »

+1 to that. After my Pearl Black GTD arrive with bad swirl marks in 2 places, that was never going to happen again! I cannot believe how low on their priorities proper paint prep is. It's not rocket science! My GTI was 99.5% perfect under the wraps. All I had to do was clean off glue etc. If you use the right products, no rubbing is necessary, so no paint marks. Simples.

+2

If you care greatly about these matters (some couldn't care less) then don't let the dealer prep the car, do it yourself or take it to a detailer.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline mezzer123

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6274 on: 08 March 2017, 19:50 »

+2

If you care greatly about these matters (some couldn't care less) then don't let the dealer prep the car, do it yourself or take it to a detailer.

+3 also

I remember my dealer saying that they had never received such a request for them not to touch it in any way shape or form( I felt a little guilty for those who did and took their chances), I wish I had photos of mine when it arrived on the truck, it looked terrible, but after some care and attention by myself it looked how it was suppose to!!!
2016 Golf GTI PP, 5 Doors, Carbon Grey, 19" Santiago's, Leather Seats

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #6275 on: 08 March 2017, 21:22 »

+2

+3 also

I remember my dealer saying that they had never received such a request for them not to touch it in any way shape or form( I felt a little guilty for those who did and took their chances), I wish I had photos of mine when it arrived on the truck, it looked terrible, but after some care and attention by myself it looked how it was suppose to!!!

It wouldn't have made a difference with the scratch though which happened when it was there. Barry at Auto Detox said and showed me where the roof had been worked on by ? and that they had sanded it down to get rid of nibs and they didn't do a great job of doing it. I hadn't noticed it but after looking at it with his sun gun I could see it.

Next car will will be collected with all the transport stuff on it and they can take it off in front of me.
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #6276 on: 08 March 2017, 22:41 »
Anyway after leaving me sitting at a desk for nearly an hour they refused to pay for the damage do I rejected the car. Roll on a Mk7.5

Totally agree with you.
Its all very well folk saying its only a scratch and will no doubt get stone chips etc in a couple of weeks but that's got absolutely nothing to do with it. You paid for a brand new defect free car and that is what you should get.
Maybe if other folk were as insistent on the standard of their cars when delivered, the business wouldn't have got to this stage.
That's the problem, people are willing to accept sloppy seconds.

I had a very similar experience when I picked my wife's GTI up this time last year. I thought "stupidly" she should get to experience the whole unveiling so let them prep the car. On first inspection it looked okay but after looking closely it was covered in swirls.
I refused their "in-house" car enthusiast to sort it and instead got the 3 dearest quotes I could get. They laughed when I said it was in the region of £600 and there is no way they would pay.

I was more than prepared to reject the car and walk away or demand I use it until another arrived but the dealer buckled and paid for what I would probably have got done myself anyway so it was a good result in the end.

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=277176.0

Would you let them paint it with the agreement that if its not correct on the first go you want a replacement and to use the one you have until that arrives?
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #6277 on: 09 March 2017, 00:16 »

Totally agree with you.
Its all very well folk saying its only a scratch and will no doubt get stone chips etc in a couple of weeks but that's got absolutely nothing to do with it. You paid for a brand new defect free car and that is what you should get.
Maybe if other folk were as insistent on the standard of their cars when delivered, the business wouldn't have got to this stage.

I had a very similar experience when I picked my wife's GTI up this time last year. I thought "stupidly" she should get to experience the whole unveiling so let them prep the car. On first inspection it looked okay but after looking closely it was covered in swirls.
I refused their "in-house" car enthusiast to sort it and instead got the 3 dearest quotes I could get. They laughed when I said it was in the region of £600 and there is no way they would pay.

I was more than prepared to reject the car and walk away or demand I use it until another arrived but the dealer buckled and paid for what I would probably have got done myself anyway so it was a good result in the end.

Would you let them paint it with the agreement that if its not correct on the first go you want a replacement and to use the one you have until that arrives?

Sorry but you actually sound like my wife and I don't mean that in a bad way. Basically she said the same thing, if people settle for crap from a dealer they will just give more crap.

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #6278 on: 09 March 2017, 00:30 »

Totally agree with you.

Just had a quick look at the first couple of posts in your thread but that is what my GTD looks like but I couldn't photograph it right with my phone. The rear bumper is the same as if they just wiped the dirt off it in one direction along it. I will get some better photos up tomorrow and add them.

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #6279 on: 09 March 2017, 22:03 »
^^^Didn't get a chance to get the photos today as I've been driving most of it, over 400 miles with over half that on country roads.

I found out that not only is the sunglasses holder useless for holding sunglasses but also for holding my XXXX mints.

I also tried eco mode for about 10 miles :rolleyes: How much of the sound/noise you hear in a GTD with sport and sound pack is the sound and sport bit and how much of it is the soundakotor or whatever it's called?

Washed it twice because of a pigeon.