Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2785021 times)

Offline Mr GTD

• I live here
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #5910 on: 29 January 2017, 18:18 »
Those are the ones I'd go for next time round.
I got black plastic RGM ones to contrast against the Pure White and they were a bit too thick meaning if I washed the car and didn't get time to dry the door shuts at the weekend there would still be water sat in the sills the end of the following week!

Ah ok well I've just brought them  :smiley: spec list updated  :grin:
Collected 1st March 17 - MK7 GTD 5dr DSG Pure White With Optional Extras - Tech Pack - Sports & Sound - Pan Roof - Tints - Leather

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5911 on: 29 January 2017, 19:29 »
I got black plastic RGM ones to contrast against the Pure White and they were a bit too thick meaning if I washed the car and didn't get time to dry the door shuts at the weekend there would still be water sat in the sills the end of the following week!

:grin:  :grin:  :grin:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5912 on: 29 January 2017, 19:36 »

The Lockwood sill protectors are very good, can highly recommend. They are a snug fit and don't trap any water underneath during washing.

Some people choose not to fit the lower plates, but they definitely add extra protection.  If you do fit the lower ones, one thing to be aware of - on the rear lower strips, the lower sill flat plate is tapered slightly and the narrower end should be towards the back of the car, wider end to the front of the car (mine are actually in wrong but I've come to terms with it now, lol).  The front flat plates are not tapered so no worries there.

Not GTD ones, but this is how they look in-situ. 

Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline JamesR27

• Here all the time
« Reply #5913 on: 29 January 2017, 19:50 »
Do they do 3 door versions of the Lockwood ones?
MK 7.5 R Pure White, Pretoria Silver, DCC, Rear Camera.
Gone - MK 7 GTI Carbon Grey, Rear Camera, Service Pack.
Gone - MK 6 GTI  Reflex Silver, Monza Shadows, RCD 510, Rear Camera, Bluetooth, Tyre Pressure Sensor, Xenons Convenience pack, Service Pack :)
Gone - MK 5 GTI Reflex Silver, Monza II 18's, Luxury Pack, Mulitchanger

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #5914 on: 29 January 2017, 19:51 »

The Lockwood sill protectors are very good, can highly recommend. They are a snug fit and don't trap any water underneath during washing.

Some people choose not to fit the lower plates, but they definitely add extra protection.  If you do fit the lower ones, one thing to be aware of - on the rear lower strips, the lower sill flat plate is tapered slightly and the narrower end should be towards the back of the car, wider end to the front of the car (mine are actually in wrong but I've come to terms with it now, lol).  The front flat plates are not tapered so no worries there.

What do they add protection from, dirt or scuffs from shoes getting in and out of the car?
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5915 on: 29 January 2017, 20:06 »

What do they add protection from, dirt or scuffs from shoes getting in and out of the car?

They protect from chips and scratches to the paint from stuff on bottom of shoes, or flicked up from ground.  Yes, you can train yourself to step over the sills but still all to easy to catch the sills. A must for me as I have a gravel driveway.  I put a set on my mk6 GTI after getting a number of stone chips from the gravel, and they worked a treat so a no-brainer on my R.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5916 on: 29 January 2017, 20:07 »
Do they do 3 door versions of the Lockwood ones?

Yes they do.  Are you getting an R James?   Only reason I ask is have seen your name on VWROC, and I set up a group buy on Lockwood R sills on there, in case you were thinking of getting a set.
« Last Edit: 29 January 2017, 20:19 by Booth11 »
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Mr GTD

• I live here
« Reply #5917 on: 29 January 2017, 20:46 »

Thanks Rebecca for the advice on fitting them. I will be fitting all of the sills as personally I think they look great.

The Stage 2 from DTUK I won't be fitting straight away as I'm going to run the car in first (1000 mile). That won't take long lol.

I brought the Pedal Box & Stage 2 together as Andrew did me a great deal on the combo.  :cool:
Collected 1st March 17 - MK7 GTD 5dr DSG Pure White With Optional Extras - Tech Pack - Sports & Sound - Pan Roof - Tints - Leather

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #5918 on: 29 January 2017, 21:08 »

They protect from chips and scratches to the paint from stuff on bottom of shoes, or flicked up from ground.  Yes, you can train yourself to step over the sills but still all to easy to catch the sills. A must for me as I have a gravel driveway.  I put a set on my mk6 GTI after getting a number of stone chips from the gravel, and they worked a treat so a no-brainer on my R.

Consider them ordered for me in that case. Thanks, my wallet is even lighter now.
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5919 on: 29 January 2017, 21:16 »

Thanks Rebecca for the advice on fitting them. I will be fitting all of the sills as personally I think they look great.

The Stage 2 from DTUK I won't be fitting straight away as I'm going to run the car in first (1000 mile). That won't take long lol.

I brought the Pedal Box & Stage 2 together as Andrew did me a great deal on the combo.  :cool:

Car should be quite a beast when you've got your Stage 2 and Pedal box combo on Mr GTD.

With the sills plates, fitting is pretty straightforward but here's a bit more info if it helps. Make sure the sills are clean and grease free so the adhesive tape can stick, wipe over with IPA.  .Before peeling off the backing tape on the sill protectors, put them into position and mark out with a pencil or bit of low tack masking tape so the upper and lower ones are perfectly aligned with each other.  Then when happy, peel off the backing tape and press firmly down and hold for 30 secs. As the upper ones wrap around, you need to press away and down at same time.  Some people (and I think the instructions include this info) like to smear a thin layer of washing up liquid solution on the sill first so that the plates can be moved around to adjust before pressing down.  I didn't bother with this as I've  done sills a couple times before but it's a useful tip.
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual