Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2785034 times)

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #5670 on: 28 November 2016, 16:23 »
I once read that a layer of dirt can conceal you from policemen or speed cameras, just like Sly in Rambo or Arnie in Predator.

My amazingly dirty car must be why my licence is clean :-P

I can vouch for this. Back in about 2000 we had been to the Lombard rally in my Mk4 Golf. It had got properly dirty tearing around to the forest stages. We were heading off to a family party afterwards, making progress when I got flashed by a camera somewhere on the A40. Nothing ever came through the post tho' as you couldn't read the numberplate. In fact you couldn't even see where the number plate was.

The car was so dirty that it needed a garage jet wash before getting a proper wash at home. I didn't want to have to clean all that mud off the drive.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #5671 on: 28 November 2016, 17:04 »
Well, about 2 hours taken in the end, 2 cups of tea and some rather cold digits. Snow foam, rinse, wash, dry and wax. Tailpipes polished, external glass cleaned and tyres treated. The light was starting to go and the crappy camera in my tablet struggled a bit but the result of my efforts:

2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #5672 on: 28 November 2016, 17:05 »
It's worth washing at this time of year to get rid of all the salt and also to check the idiots who open car doors onto your car  :wink:

Totally agree mcmaddy. Also if you've got diamond cut alloys, cleaning the road dirt and salt off them means you can check to make sure the lacquer hasn't become damaged or chipped from the abrasive grit that's spread on the road at this time of year; if it has, you can repair it (put a dab of lacquer on) before the white worm corrosion sets in.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline cosmos

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5673 on: 28 November 2016, 17:05 »
In my limited experience of detailing I have to say it isn't just about getting the car looking good. Aside from getting a sore arm I do find the whole process pretty therapeutic and a good way of switching off from everything else, it's just you and your loved one spending quality time together  :kiss:
Golf GTI PP | DSG | 5 door | Carbon Steel Grey | DCC | Tech Pack | Parking Pack

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #5674 on: 28 November 2016, 17:09 »
Well, about 2 hours taken in the end, 2 cups of tea and some rather cold digits. Snow foam, rinse, wash, dry and wax. Tailpipes polished, external glass cleaned and tyres treated. The light was starting to go and the crappy camera in my tablet struggled a bit but the result of my efforts:

Looks good Watts. Just spent 2 and a half hours cleaning my car too. Also vacuumed the interior of mine, but no tea breaks for me!
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #5675 on: 28 November 2016, 17:12 »

Looks good Watts. Just spent 2 and a half hours cleaning my car too. Also vacuumed the interior of mine, but no tea breaks for me!

Cheers :smiley: Squeezed some tea in whilst waiting for the wax to dry. My fingers needed warming as much as anything else. Now I've got to get some dinner on :rolleyes:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5676 on: 28 November 2016, 18:10 »
Car looks great Watts. Well worth taking a couple of hours out regularly to shift the winter grime and keep in top of it, and also this....

In my limited experience of detailing I have to say it isn't just about getting the car looking good. Aside from getting a sore arm I do find the whole process pretty therapeutic and a good way of switching off from everything else, it's just you and your loved one spending quality time together  :kiss:

:afro:

Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Jackie Treehorn

« Reply #5677 on: 28 November 2016, 18:55 »

Looks superb always admire red GTi, GTD and R's

Offline wigit

• I live here
« Reply #5678 on: 28 November 2016, 19:18 »
Realised that a lighter set of rims have truly transformed the R estate ride

Always been a fan of lightweight 18s on Golfs and ran than over 19 Prets but put a set of TSW Nurburgring's which are 9kg a corner and less than Pro Race 1.2s and what a difference

Have nicely taken the edge off things over a B road

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #5679 on: 28 November 2016, 19:35 »

Looks superb always admire red GTi, GTD and R's

Cheers JT, red wasn't the colour I was originally after but as soon as I saw it, smitten!

Realised that a lighter set of rims have truly transformed the R estate ride

Always been a fan of lightweight 18s on Golfs and ran than over 19 Prets but put a set of TSW Nurburgring's which are 9kg a corner and less than Pro Race 1.2s and what a difference

Have nicely taken the edge off things over a B road

wigit - my technical knowledge is poor (unless a hammer is the right tool for the job!) but your post sounds interesting - are you prepared to re-word it in idiot terms, particularly the benefits aspect? Cheers :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.