Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2785002 times)

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #5410 on: 25 September 2016, 15:13 »
Looks like a good install job :)

Ta, he did a really good job and trim all intact.

Exactly where I had mine - so it couldn't be seen from the driver's seat, had a cutout on the rim of the domed part of the rear view mirror assembly cover so as not to pinch the cabling. Have you set it up for continuous monitoring? Keep an eye on the heat the front unit is putting out. Definitely the best looking Dashcam form I found for dual channel.

Yes, it's hard wired in with the Power Magic Pro, and set to run for 12 hours when parked up.  That's plenty long enough.  Yeah I mentioned about overheating and he said they've had it on a few units but has tended to be when the cooling vents have become blocked.

It was important for me that itv was a very discreet looking unit.  I looked at the Thinkware F770 but the front camera unit was just too bulky for my liking.  Not cheap but money well spent I think.

My cooling vents definitely didn't get time to clog - I suspect it is the "greenhouse/conservatory" effect of the car interior, especially with the main unit sat directly behind a bit of glass getting a lot of direct sunlight, when it is still running when parked up. Probably not a bother when you are in the car and the windows are open or the aircon is working.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline phope

• I live here
« Reply #5411 on: 25 September 2016, 17:16 »
I haven't set mine up to record when parked up, just in case it overheats in a warm car

Have seen this type of warning on my phone a few times when left in a car on a summer day - same principle I guess

My camera is set in much the same place in the screen

« Last Edit: 25 September 2016, 17:24 by phope »
Golf Mk8 R order cancelled...awaiting company car instead
Tiguan 1.5 Elegance for the wife & dogs
Skoda 1.5 SEL cheap lease special

Offline phope

• I live here
« Reply #5412 on: 25 September 2016, 17:35 »
Polished out some swirl marks on the dial plastic screens using this stuff - works very well

Be careful though and don't use it on the carbon-effect dash surrounds - has dulled a little section that I tested it on which was scratched with a bit of jewellery

Golf Mk8 R order cancelled...awaiting company car instead
Tiguan 1.5 Elegance for the wife & dogs
Skoda 1.5 SEL cheap lease special

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5413 on: 25 September 2016, 17:35 »
I haven't set mine up to record when parked up, just in case it overheats in a warm car

Have seen this type of warning on my phone a few times when left in a car on a summer day - same principle I guess

My camera is set in much the same place in the screen

Looks great, very neat.  :cool:

Had that iPhone message countless times especially when lounging by the pool on hols listening to music, lol. I always keep my phone out of the sun in the car on hot days.  But yeah will have to keep an eye on the camera, but should be ok at this time of year.  Parking mode is essential for me as 3 out of 4 damage incidents on my car have happened whilst it was parked.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #5414 on: 25 September 2016, 23:05 »

Looks like a nice clean job.
Did he remove your trim from the tailgate?
Also did he feed the wire through one of those rubber boots that you can see in the picture?

I have a dashcam on my front but I've always been put off the rear due to the work involved and the possibility of it affecting the DAB.
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5415 on: 25 September 2016, 23:37 »

Looks like a nice clean job.
Did he remove your trim from the tailgate?
Also did he feed the wire through one of those rubber boots that you can see in the picture?

I have a dashcam on my front but I've always been put off the rear due to the work involved and the possibility of it affecting the DAB.

Yes, Stevie, he did feed it through one of the rubber boots.  I didn't stand over him watching but he explained that's where it would be routed.  I presume he must have had to remove the trim.  The whole thing took an hour that's all.  No I'll effect on the DAB. 
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #5416 on: 25 September 2016, 23:58 »
Great stuff.
Here's hoping you don't need it.

I take my card out every other week just to make sure it all still works.
There would be nothing worse thinking you have something on video when you haven't.

HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5417 on: 26 September 2016, 07:43 »
You need to go through one of the tailgates that hold the wiring into the tailgate and remove the plastic trim on the very back of the roof lining. From there the front/back unit cabling can be poked under the rubber lip that runs along the roof lining to the front of the car.

If I had to buy another i'd fit it myself in about an hour.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline GrahamFR

• I live here
« Reply #5418 on: 26 September 2016, 16:08 »
Today (yesterday) I sold it  :cry:

Tomorrow I pick up this  :cool:

2007: Leon PD170
2010: Leon CR170
2013: Golf GTI PP
2016: A45 AMG

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5419 on: 26 September 2016, 16:12 »
Ooohhhh I like that! ^^^^
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner