Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2785013 times)

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #5360 on: 16 September 2016, 19:20 »
Great stuff Rebecca! It does look a bit orange-peely, but I can also confirm that the lapiz blue factory paint is like that too.

Did you have to get the tyre changed too? That's a new tyre anyway by the looks of it.

Thanks Joe. It does look on the orange peely side but actually not much more so than usual.  Sometimes the light can exaggerate it and I think that's our of these pics but I had to rush to take a few snaps as the sky was about to empty overhead, lol.  Wax is good for knocking back the appearance of it a little bit so once it's had a couple of coats it should look less obvious.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Aidey

• Here all the time
« Reply #5361 on: 16 September 2016, 19:24 »
was gutted today when i turned the car on and saw an exclamation mark on the dash, pressed the car button on the console and my driver side lamps are out.... :sad:
Now do i replace or leave for the garage to do it , im due my CS any day now...
Owner Mk8 ClubSport
Sold Mk8 Golf R....
Sold Gti DSG 2020 Performance Indium Grey .....
Gti Sold... ClubSport Edition 40 , ... Sold Aug 2018....

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #5362 on: 16 September 2016, 19:33 »
Great stuff Rebecca! It does look a bit orange-peely, but I can also confirm that the lapiz blue factory paint is like that too.

Did you have to get the tyre changed too? That's a new tyre anyway by the looks of it.

Thanks Joe. It does look on the orange peely side but actually not much more so than usual.  Sometimes the light can exaggerate it and I think that's our of these pics but I had to rush to take a few snaps as the sky was about to empty overhead, lol.  Wax is good for knocking back the appearance of it a little bit so once it's had a couple of coats it should look less obvious.

When I had my door repaired, the body shop told me to bring it back again after 3-4 weeks and they would polish it to "bring it up". I wasn't going to bother as it looked perfect the day I collected it but I did notice after a week or so that the orange peel effect got worse - as the new paint/lacquer cured. So I did brImg it back in and they tackled it with a DA. It looked spot on afterwards and has been fine since. In fact that door has less orange peel than the rest of the car lol.

So I'd say don't touch it with any polish for a few weeks. Let the paint fully cure..
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline Damion

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5363 on: 16 September 2016, 20:40 »
I ordered and sent mine back, there really poor quality, covered in scratches
2016 R!
2016 GTI PP Ordered and cancelled
2015 3DR GTD
2011 3DR GTD
2008 3DR 2.0TDI GT Sport

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5364 on: 16 September 2016, 21:26 »

When I had my door repaired, the body shop told me to bring it back again after 3-4 weeks and they would polish it to "bring it up". I wasn't going to bother as it looked perfect the day I collected it but I did notice after a week or so that the orange peel effect got worse - as the new paint/lacquer cured. So I did brImg it back in and they tackled it with a DA. It looked spot on afterwards and has been fine since. In fact that door has less orange peel than the rest of the car lol.

So I'd say don't touch it with any polish for a few weeks. Let the paint fully cure..

I'll keep my eye on it Joe.  I won't be touching the resprayed panels with a DA for a while so the paint can harden.  Always been advised to avoid doing anything to repainted panel for about a month but I'll leave the DA-ing of those even longer.  Rest of the car will get done though. 

I remember when they did my front wing on the mk6 GTI, that was better and less orange peely than factory.  I have always found that its the doors and rear wings which show the peel more than other parts of the car. 
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Snooze

• I live here
« Reply #5365 on: 16 September 2016, 22:01 »
May have exaggerated depth of water. Felt like 2 foot!  :whistle: Car was running fine today thankfully.
2015 Mk7 Golf Gti 3dr Manual, Carbon Steel Grey, Michelin PS4's

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5366 on: 17 September 2016, 09:31 »
May have exaggerated depth of water. Felt like 2 foot!  :whistle: Car was running fine today thankfully.

Thought so, an Amarok would've struggled getting through 2 feet of water without wetting your shoes.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Snooze

• I live here
« Reply #5367 on: 17 September 2016, 09:56 »
Got it back from the bodyshop.

Collected my car this morning.  Despite having to inspect it in the rain, I am thrilled to say, the body shop has once again, done an absolute top top job.  Quality of repair really is second to none.  Respray and blending is spot on - no discernible paint mismatch between the new bumper (plastic) and the rear wing.  No overspray.  New bumper perfectly aligned and panel gaps exact along their length. As if it never happened!

Lepsons refurbishment of my damaged Pretoria is equally of exceptional quality.  The paint match is excellent, neither lighter or darker, which was a big concern. And the finish is just as it should be.  If I was being uber picky I would say the refurbed wheel colour is marginally less bluey than the others but I am talking less than a 5% margin of difference between them.  Given that quite a few refurbed Prets have come back noticeably darker, I am more than happy with that.  Needs sealing to protect and add shine but really pleased with it.

Car and wheels need a wash as dirty by my standards, but torrential rain outside so that will have to wait.  I am massively relieved. 

Some pics of the repairs:

Wheel:

Side by side

Non refurbed wheel                                                    Refurbed wheel

Nice one Rebecca. Glad your pleased!

My rear arch has a funny mark on it which appeared couple weeks after respray. Hope it just polishes off.
2015 Mk7 Golf Gti 3dr Manual, Carbon Steel Grey, Michelin PS4's

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #5368 on: 17 September 2016, 10:06 »
Brilliant!
You can't beat a tall tale told well :grin:
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5369 on: 17 September 2016, 12:30 »

Haha, love it Snooze.  Just a bit of artistic licence.  :laugh:  Glad the car has lived to tell the tale.
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual