Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2785019 times)

Offline wesbar

• Not said much yet
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #5300 on: 09 September 2016, 21:07 »
Finally got sick of plugging my phone 'manually' into a lightning cable and fitted a brodit mount with slide in holder for my iPhone. Makes using CarPlay a lot easier.
Mk7 Golf GTI, DSG, CSG, Performance Pack, Santiago's, App Connect, Park Assist, 90% Tints

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5301 on: 09 September 2016, 22:16 »
Finally got sick of plugging my phone 'manually' into a lightning cable and fitted a brodit mount with slide in holder for my iPhone. Makes using CarPlay a lot easier.

Any pics please?
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5302 on: 09 September 2016, 22:19 »
Well I achieved the impossible today on my R - the 200 mile half tank! 198.8 miles done since fill up and the range was showing 205 miles left, with the needle showing just more than half a tank. Have caned it 2 out of 5 days and still averaged 34.7mpg since fill.

Amazing.  You get mpg that I can't even dream of.

Same here. "Caning" an R and getting mid 30's MPG just isn't possible, unless my maths is completely off.

I think MH must be caning a different R because there is no way on this earth I can fathom that.  I'm actually thrilled because my usual long term 19/20mpg temporarily increased to 25 mpg over the school summer hols. Now schools are back and traffic is back on roads it's heading southwards again rapidly, that and proper caning it round the back roads.  :grin:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5303 on: 09 September 2016, 22:20 »

I can confirm that MH given any opportunity canes his R  :wink:

Joe and I want proof.  :grin:
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #5304 on: 09 September 2016, 22:23 »
Did the same in his gtd and got good mpg's from that also.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5305 on: 09 September 2016, 23:05 »
Did the same in his gtd and got good mpg's from that also.

Not doubting his word but he must drive differently to us mere mortals.
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5306 on: 09 September 2016, 23:11 »
More what did I buy for it....

Ordered Blackvue DR650S 2CH dashcam and Power Magic Pro kit for hardwiring to fuse box of car.  Organised a group buy for Blackvue stuff on another forum so got it with a reasonable bit of discount. Decided to get a pro to install it so all booked in for installation on Fri 23rd Sept.  Should hopefully have it back end next week from the bodyshop.

I'd advise caution for continuous use - that front camera/main unit overheats very easily. I loved the stealth look of the 650 when I fitted the 2 channel set-up, but within a week it was fried and back it went the the Amazon seller.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5307 on: 09 September 2016, 23:14 »

Ordered Blackvue DR650S 2CH dashcam and Power Magic Pro kit for hardwiring to fuse box of car.  Organised a group buy for Blackvue stuff on another forum so got it with a reasonable bit of discount. Decided to get a pro to install it so all booked in for installation on Fri 23rd Sept.  Should hopefully have it back end next week from the bodyshop.

I'd advise caution for continuous use - that front camera/main unit overheats very easily. I loved the stealth look of the 650 when I fitted the 2 channel set-up, but within a week it was fried and back it went the the Amazon seller.

Thanks, yes I saw your earlier comments about that issue. Will keep an eye on it and mention that to the installer or Blavkvue for their opinion.  I'm buying direct from them so if there is an issue confident they will deal with it properly. I know a few with this unit and they've not reported any adverse issues.  Could you have had a faulty unit?
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5308 on: 09 September 2016, 23:20 »
Well I achieved the impossible today on my R - the 200 mile half tank! 198.8 miles done since fill up and the range was showing 205 miles left, with the needle showing just more than half a tank. Have caned it 2 out of 5 days and still averaged 34.7mpg since fill.

Amazing.  You get mpg that I can't even dream of.

Same here. "Caning" an R and getting mid 30's MPG just isn't possible, unless my maths is completely off.

I think MH must be caning a different R because there is no way on this earth I can fathom that.  I'm actually thrilled because my usual long term 19/20mpg temporarily increased to 25 mpg over the school summer hols. Now schools are back and traffic is back on roads it's heading southwards again rapidly, that and proper caning it round the back roads.  :grin:

A longish (20 miles each way) commute, clear roads and a manual box all help with the mpg. My mpg has crept up 2mpg as a new 3 mile stretch of average speed camera 30mph zone has popped up on what was a 70mph road while North Tyneside council do work to eliminate yet another roundabout in favour of traffic light controlled junctions that are far more complicated than the roundabout being replaced.

When I get a stretch to accelerate in I do take advantage, but I do judge the road ahead well and come off the accelerator early and let the car slow down itself towards a roundabout or slow traffic ahead, so some of my driving style is economical (I bet my brakes are hardly worn at all).

If I did an 8 mile commute in city traffic, i'd probably consider myself lucky to hit 25mpg.

I'm a firm believer in a short burst of hard acceleration can be more economical than an extended period of moderate acceleration to get you to the desired speed.
« Last Edit: 09 September 2016, 23:27 by monkeyhanger »

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5309 on: 09 September 2016, 23:25 »

Thanks, yes I saw your earlier comments about that issue. Will keep an eye on it and mention that to the installer or Blavkvue for their opinion.  I'm buying direct from them so if there is an issue confident they will deal with it properly. I know a few with this unit and they've not reported any adverse issues.  Could you have had a faulty unit?

It was reportedly a common fault with the unit - I did my research after the failure to decide whether to get a replacement or my money back, and decided on the latter. The unit runs hot, with a lack of decent ventilation. When the car is parked in a sunny spot, it effectively becomes a greenhouse, which doesn't help matters - maybe parking in the shade if it is on continuously will help.

I don't think it is an issue limited to the Blackvue 650 - continuous running generates continuous heat for most dashcams - maybe that's why the car companies don't offer systems of their own as optional equipment?