Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2784997 times)

Offline davewilliams000

• GTI forum regular
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #5280 on: 09 September 2016, 16:06 »
Car went back to dealers for software updates this morning that they couldn't do last week - took about an hour and a half. Again, they didn't wash it like I asked (I asked when I handed over the keys and also had my wo-wo hangar back in). I could tell they didn't wash it as the boot lid was still dirty when I went back to it!  :laugh:

After I got back home, I gave it a quick clean ready for trip down south tomorrow (had a full clean inside and out last week so wasn't in need of much):

• Pressure washer rinse
  • Snow foam, dwell for 5 mins and PW rinse
  • open hose rinse
  • Towel dry bodywork and glass (didn't do wheels)
  • Cleaned all exterior glass using AG fastglass
  • Applied gTechniq c2v3 to all exterior glass (sprayed directly on then wiped/buffed with wo-wo MFs)
  • Quick vacuum of carpet mats with dyson handheld/li]
    • Touch up clean of piano black/faux carbon fibre trim inside using PBNL & 2 wo-wo MFs (1 to apply, 1 to buff off)

Sorry didn't get chance for any pics. It rained a bit on the way to work afterwards and I am impressed with the beading of water on the windscreen from the c2. I also fitted new wiper blades as they just turned up in time before I left for work. Luckily it was 'clean rain' (guess the roads weren't dirty), as the car still looked spotless when I got to work.  :grin:

Also last night I loaded the speed camera POIs in to the satnav (from pocket GPS world and using the German VW online tool to convert them). It does bong when approaching a camera site (there's a box to tick on the online tool to enable this). Un-ticking the "note: MyPOI's" option under setup > nav announcements on the MIB2 does seem to turn off the bongs if it becomes to annoying. Don't plan on speeding but it's nice to know when your near a camera to make sure!

Earlier on yesterday I planned out my service station stops for the journey tomorrow and stored it as a 'Tour' in the sat nav so all ready to call up when needed.

:cool:
2015 65 plate Mk7 GTD Manual in Tornado Red

https://www.flickr.com/photos/davewilliams000

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #5281 on: 09 September 2016, 16:10 »
I've now had 3 VW DSG Gear boxes - a 2011 Scirocco, a 2013 GTD and my new 2016 GTD - all have been faultless. About the only criticism i had (especially with the first GTD), was that if slowing down (say approaching a roundabout - then seeing it's clear and carrying on), the box would quite often change down to too low a gear. So for instance, if you were approaching at 25-30pmg in 4th or 5th, on a trailing throttle, as soon as you went to accelerate again it would drop down to third and as such the car would lurch slightly.

On the new GTD however, it must have new software, as it doesn't do this at all so as long as your approach speed doesn't drop too much, if you are in fourth, it will stay in fourth (unless of course you really boot it). It's taken the last real criticism I had of the box away, and I love it even more. Super smooth and always in the right gear, and ideally suited to the narrow power band on a diesel. Of course there is always the grand you have to spend to get the box which always has to be factored in (if purchased form new).
« Last Edit: 09 September 2016, 16:12 by Sootchucker »
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline GTD1414

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5282 on: 09 September 2016, 16:14 »
Car went back to dealers for software updates this morning that they couldn't do last week - took about an hour and a half. Again, they didn't wash it like I asked (I asked when I handed over the keys and also had my wo-wo hangar back in). I could tell they didn't wash it as the boot lid was still dirty when I went back to it!  :laugh:

After I got back home, I gave it a quick clean ready for trip down south tomorrow (had a full clean inside and out last week so wasn't in need of much):

• Pressure washer rinse
  • Snow foam, dwell for 5 mins and PW rinse
  • open hose rinse
  • Towel dry bodywork and glass (didn't do wheels)
  • Cleaned all exterior glass using AG fastglass
  • Applied gTechniq c2v3 to all exterior glass (sprayed directly on then wiped/buffed with wo-wo MFs)
  • Quick vacuum of carpet mats with dyson handheld/li]
    • Touch up clean of piano black/faux carbon fibre trim inside using PBNL & 2 wo-wo MFs (1 to apply, 1 to buff off)

Sorry didn't get chance for any pics. It rained a bit on the way to work afterwards and I am impressed with the beading of water on the windscreen from the c2. I also fitted new wiper blades as they just turned up in time before I left for work. Luckily it was 'clean rain' (guess the roads weren't dirty), as the car still looked spotless when I got to work.  :grin:

Also last night I loaded the speed camera POIs in to the satnav (from pocket GPS world and using the German VW online tool to convert them). It does bong when approaching a camera site (there's a box to tick on the online tool to enable this). Un-ticking the "note: MyPOI's" option under setup > nav announcements on the MIB2 does seem to turn off the bongs if it becomes to annoying. Don't plan on speeding but it's nice to know when your near a camera to make sure!

Earlier on yesterday I planned out my service station stops for the journey tomorrow and stored it as a 'Tour' in the sat nav so all ready to call up when needed.

:cool:
How do you upload the speed camera POI's? Is this on the standard Nav?
[/list]

Offline davewilliams000

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5283 on: 09 September 2016, 17:00 »
How do you upload the speed camera POI's? Is this on the standard Nav?

Yes mine's the standard Nav (although I think it should work for Discover Pro also, but don't quote me on that).

I've been told it will only give an audible alert if you have an MIB2 unit so bear that in mind.

After a bit of googling I found the process.... It's fairly straight forward - in summary:

• If you want the database from PocketGPSWorld, which I believe is updated on a weekly basis, then you have to subscribe to them at £20/year. http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/. There are a few free ones out there I think, but aren't updated often and don't seem as easy to obtain the list. I downloaded my list in 'Other -GPX' format from PocketGPSWorld.

• Process them into the correct format for the car using the VW online tool - http://www.volkswagen.de/de/navigation/discover-pro/poi-listen-sammlung.html. The tool is in German only (Google translate doesn't work).

I found good instructions on the Skoda forums (after a google search) here http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/246805-guide-to-vw-poi-collections-loader-site/.

Also on the first page make sure you tick the box about 1/2 way down that says 'Bei Annäherung an diese POIs informieren.' - I found a rough translation of this is 'Alert me when I am near these POIs' - this isn't on the skoda forums instructions - I found this somewhere else but can't remember where. I didn't try without ticking this box, but presumably if it's not ticked then the satnav will not bong when you're near a camera. As I said in my previous post, ticking/unticking the "note: MyPOI's" option under setup > nav announcements on the MIB2 does seem to turn on/off the bongs if it becomes to annoying (lots of mobile camera sites!)

• Once you've downloaded the zip file that the VW tool gives you then extract this onto into the root folder of an SD card, put it in the car and go to software update which as I recall is under setup (press the menu button and scroll all the way to the right) and then system information. I did find another menu under the navigation setup which will also work for loading/updating/deleting POIs but again can't recall what it is at the moment.

Note 1: if you use an existing SD card (e.g. one you have music on) then it will not recognise it for any other use than the POIs. Once I had done, I put the SD card back in my PC and removed the relevant folders and the car then recognised the SD card for music again - I didn't loose any of my music.

Note 2: This may work with a USB flash drive instead of an SD card but I haven't tried it.

Note 3: You can only have 1 custom set of POIs at once into the MIB2 unit. If you then load another set it will replace any you previously loaded.

If I remember when I come back from holiday, I will fill in the correct names for things I can't quite remember just now and stick it in a new thread so it's easy to find in future.

Hope that makes sense!

:grin:
« Last Edit: 09 September 2016, 17:23 by davewilliams000 »

Offline TwoSheds

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5284 on: 09 September 2016, 17:05 »
Car went back to dealers for software updates this morning that they couldn't do last week - took about an hour and a half.

Did you ask them what the two software updates were specifically for & did they work ?

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #5285 on: 09 September 2016, 17:14 »
I didn't think you could make it give you an audible warning of a camera.... in fact I'm sure you never could because thats why i never bothered.

Is that a MIB2 thing?
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline davewilliams000

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5286 on: 09 September 2016, 17:19 »
Car went back to dealers for software updates this morning that they couldn't do last week - took about an hour and a half.

Did you ask them what the two software updates were specifically for & did they work ?

I asked them last time and 1 is for the 'control unit' and the other for the audio system (MIB2), but didn't go into more specifics than that. I confirmed that it wasn't due to the emissions scandal.

Funny.. I just did a search there to see if I could find out what it actually was for and my post from earlier came up as the 4th result!....  :laugh:

One of them is definitely for the radio. Fixes numerous bugs including the "blank screen" on startup.

Good to know. Looking forward to having that one fixed. Hopefully fix the one where it plays music from the SD card but no sound comes out as I had that one yesterday :smiley:

Had the blank screen on startup so many times, hopefully no more now!  :grin:

Offline davewilliams000

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5287 on: 09 September 2016, 17:22 »
I didn't think you could make it give you an audible warning of a camera.... in fact I'm sure you never could because thats why i never bothered.

Is that a MIB2 thing?

Yes I think it's MIB2 only. I was going to add that to my post as I thought I'd read it somewhere but now can't find where so I didn't put it in! - I've updated it now.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #5288 on: 09 September 2016, 17:34 »
Aha!

Cheers :D

I am sure the bloody bonging would drive me mad anyway - would be nice if you could make it another sound, but hey, something like that would be far too radical for a car manufacturer to let you do.

Make sure you turn it off if you go to France though (or don't load French camera locations) because its illegal there!
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline davewilliams000

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5289 on: 09 September 2016, 17:42 »
Aha!

Cheers :D

I am sure the bloody bonging would drive me mad anyway - would be nice if you could make it another sound, but hey, something like that would be far too radical for a car manufacturer to let you do.

Make sure you turn it off if you go to France though (or don't load French camera locations) because its illegal there!

Yes I haven't decided if it's a bit too annoying yet. It's not a bong as such. Difficult to describe the sound but I think it will depend on the number of times it sounds as to how annoying it will be.  :whistle:

Knew it's illegal in france but don't plan on going there anytime soon. Also I only have the UK cameras loaded, not all of Europe.  :grin: