Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2785036 times)

Offline mustard

• Here all the time
  • Mk7 R
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #5240 on: 02 September 2016, 13:46 »
Bit of an update on my recent hit and run damage.

Bodyshop has done the estimate and given to insurer.  So far £3.5k worth of damage (could rise).  Main work required:

Repair quarter panel
New bumper and brackets
New vent panel (behind bumper)
New sill mouldings
Pretoria wheel refurb (at Lepsons)
Hunter 4 wheel alignment
Paint

Once insurer has accepted quote - should be around 2 weeks to get it all done and back on the road.

Too late for this but decided front and rear dash cams are now a necessity.  Still researching but on list so far are Blackvue 650S 2CH and Thinkaware F770.  Leaning towards Blackvue at moment but still looking into.  Any useful info from anyone with these cams would be very gratefully received (incl any in car pics) or any other suggestions.  :smiley:

I have the Thinkware 750 fitted, front and rear. The front hides well behind the mirror and the rear sits neatly at the top of the hatch window. Picture quality is good, also has GPS, lane departure and speed camera warnings. only thing is the annoying American voice.
« Last Edit: 02 September 2016, 14:46 by mustard »

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5241 on: 02 September 2016, 15:05 »
I dabbled with a 2 channel Blackvue 650 with my GTD, the thread will be there if you look for it (maybe jan/feb 2014?) including fitment.

It was buggered in a week on continuous monitoring mode - these things run hot, and when they're on all the time it"s not good for them. Don't know why they can't do a central box hidden in the shade, well ventilated, with 2 satellite cameras. Packing all the electronics in the front camera which is stuck to the wondscreen which is picking up the sun's heat is a bad design IMO.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline J400uk

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5242 on: 02 September 2016, 19:09 »
Hit 28k miles this week but then had a run of bad luck  :sad:

2015 Golf GTD 2.0 TDI 184 PS 6-speed DSG 5 Door Tornado Red

Offline gazmondo35

• Here all the time
« Reply #5243 on: 02 September 2016, 19:37 »
Bit of an update on my recent hit and run damage.

Bodyshop has done the estimate and given to insurer.  So far £3.5k worth of damage (could rise).  Main work required:

Repair quarter panel
New bumper and brackets
New vent panel (behind bumper)
New sill mouldings
Pretoria wheel refurb (at Lepsons)
Hunter 4 wheel alignment
Paint

Once insurer has accepted quote - should be around 2 weeks to get it all done and back on the road.

Too late for this but decided front and rear dash cams are now a necessity.  Still researching but on list so far are Blackvue 650S 2CH and Thinkaware F770.  Leaning towards Blackvue at moment but still looking into.  Any useful info from anyone with these cams would be very gratefully received (incl any in car pics) or any other suggestions.  :smiley:

Sorry to hear about your car there must be a curse on black R ,with mine being stolen, hit from behind & even the Amazon delivery driver scratchings bonnet ,my Insurance now has hit the £700 mark.

As for dashcams I went for transcend DrivePro 220 fitted front and back,very good video quality
Both have 128gb memory card for 18 hours of continuous Recording ,I have done the fuse box mod so they always stay on, Also i have a bit of footage on YouTube with the car in race mode on a very rough road & the Image stabilisation is good .

https://youtu.be/08eaYG-qDRs

[IMG]http://i1371.photobucket.com/albums/ag318/Garry_Mcdonnell/233E42CC-0AC2-4E03-BB17-86657A5BC003_zpsadtcp1tl.jpg[/IMG

Mk7 golf R DBP
MK7 golf gti pp red (sold)

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5244 on: 02 September 2016, 20:03 »
Thanks all for responses on dash cams, much appreciated. :smiley:

I've decided to go for the DR650S 2CH + Power Magic Pro.

https://www.blackvue.com/dr650s-2ch/

https://www.blackvue.com/power-magic-pro/

It ticks all my boxes and is very discreet, and with the Power Magic Pro is hardwired into the cars battery and runs when parked up.  Bit cheeky to say on here but I'm organising a group buy on them in the VWROC forum - should get a bit of discount hopefully. 
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Gtiless

• Here all the time
« Reply #5245 on: 02 September 2016, 20:24 »
Sorry to read about this latest bit of bad luck Rebecca,in my defense I have been on my hols.

Im sure I read somewhere recently, that someone came back to their dash-cam equip vehicle to find some scroat had smashed the window and knicked them.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5246 on: 02 September 2016, 20:29 »

Sorry to read about this latest bit of bad luck Rebecca,in my defense I have been on my hols.

Im sure I read somewhere recently, that someone came back to their dash-cam equip vehicle to find some scroat had smashed the window and knicked them.

It only happened a couple days ago Gtiless.  Pita. :angry:

I'll have take my chances with the dashcam. But if it does get nicked you can say you told me so, lol.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5247 on: 02 September 2016, 20:30 »
Hit 28k miles this week but then had a run of bad luck  :sad:

Oh no! Hope it all gets sorted out ok.
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #5248 on: 02 September 2016, 20:32 »
Rebecca, push for a new Pretoria wheel. I would. It'd make no odds to you anyway assuming it's insurance job.
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline Gtiless

• Here all the time
« Reply #5249 on: 02 September 2016, 20:45 »

It only happened a couple days ago Gtiless.  Pita. :angry:

I'll have take my chances with the dashcam. But if it does get nicked you can say you told me so, lol.

Im not trying to put you off,I think they are a good idea but I just think it getting to the point that no matter what we do we cant win.  :undecided: