Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2785009 times)

Offline Carbon VW

• Here all the time
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #5040 on: 28 July 2016, 09:07 »
Thanks guys for the compliments  :rolleyes: yes the garage makes it a lot easier. I installed some LED strip lights also to help me identify marring etc when machine polishing. They make polishing a lot easier. They also work outside for anyone interested. I'm in Ireland but your more than welcome to use the garage !!! :huh:on the downside my back is in bits from yesterday !!
Mk7 CSG GTi 6MF Stage 1, CSS backbox

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #5041 on: 28 July 2016, 10:20 »
Thanks Watts !  :rolleyes: I had a custom remap done, no branded map. I insisted that I wanted the car to feel the same down low so that it wouldn't be ruined driving around town etc. He mapped the car over 3 hours with 3 rolling road runs along with test drives until he was happy. I had the tombstones still fitted when I got the remap last week but they were worse than usual after the map. I just fitted a set of vredstein ultrac sessantas and now there is no loss of traction. The change is the throttle response if massively improved. It's so instant really makes a difference. The numbers on the dyno were 283bhp and 415nm torque but I am more interested in how it feels. It feels fantastic.  :evil: the shove in the back now when you want it is severe and 3rd and 4th gear actually make me laugh out loud!! The tuner said that this map was conservative and that the car is massively detuned from Wolsburg. He recommended I change oil and filter every 7500km or twice a year but assured me that the turbo and engine were well within safe parameters. The tune was all done via OBD. I'm chuffed.

Sounds very worthwhile. Thanks for the info :smiley:

:huh:on the downside my back is in bits from yesterday !!

So not just me then! I can barely stand up straight these days after washing and waxing the car :embarrassed: Where's my pipe and slippers?
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5042 on: 28 July 2016, 14:02 »
Thanks guys for the compliments  :rolleyes: yes the garage makes it a lot easier. I installed some LED strip lights also to help me identify marring etc when machine polishing. They make polishing a lot easier. They also work outside for anyone interested. I'm in Ireland but your more than welcome to use the garage !!! :huh:on the downside my back is in bits from yesterday !!

Good lighting is key to machine polishng.  I've been using a set of halogen lights (on stands) outside but might upgrade to an LED set, as halogen ones get very hot, and you get hot enough when machine polishing just through the effort, lol. I also use this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cluson-Clulite-Clu-Briter-Rechargeable-Torch/dp/B004UEO5TO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1469711754&sr=8-3&keywords=rechargeable+torches+clulite  to do close up inspection work, but a set of stand mounted LEDs would be a great addition.

Course all this should really be discussed in the detailing section.  :whistle:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5043 on: 28 July 2016, 14:34 »

You're not wrong, you're making us mere mortals feel guilty and inadequate!!  :laugh:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5044 on: 28 July 2016, 14:49 »

You're not wrong, you're making us mere mortals feel guilty and inadequate!!  :laugh:

Actually I was trying to spare you Mr Ex, as I know detailing talk renders you comatose.  :laugh:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5045 on: 28 July 2016, 15:01 »

Actually I was trying to spare you Mr Ex, as I know detailing talk renders you comatose.  :laugh:

You're not wrong, detailing threads are just one long shopping list normally, almost like a mantra of "firstly I started off with a snow foam treatment using ******** which I picked up from ******.com then I progressed to a two bucket wash using my solid gold buckets and titanium grit guards, ****** shampoo and lambswool mitt from a freshly shaven Swiss mountain sheep (where the air is purest and the grass greenest thus reducing the possibility of any contamination). The car was then dried with...." ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Sorry, nodded off there!

Where was I?
Is it time for my meds yet nurse?

Seriously though, I do love the photos of freshly detailed cars, and they do make me feel hideously guilty even though I do work hard to try and keep my own as clean as I can.
(but shopping lists are a bit dull!!)
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5046 on: 28 July 2016, 15:12 »

You're not wrong, detailing threads are just one long shopping list normally, almost like a mantra of "firstly I started off with a snow foam treatment using ******** which I picked up from ******.com then I progressed to a two bucket wash using my solid gold buckets and titanium grit guards, ****** shampoo and lambswool mitt from a freshly shaven Swiss mountain sheep (where the air is purest and the grass greenest thus reducing the possibility of any contamination). The car was then dried with...." ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Sorry, nodded off there!

Where was I?
Is it time for my meds yet nurse?

Seriously though, I do love the photos of freshly detailed cars, and they do make me feel hideously guilty even though I do work hard to try and keep my own as clean as I can.
(but shopping lists are a bit dull!!)

Mock away.  :grin:

Detailing shopping lists and routines do make dull reading for many, but are useful to those with more than a passing interest in detailing and ultimately forums are about sharing knowledge and info.  So there.  :tongue:  :laugh:

And whilst you are enjoying the photos and end results of the sweat, backache and creaking knees of the detailing fraternity, remember cars don't get to look like that by magic, nor do teams of little elves come in in the dead of night to deswirl, polish and preen these cars.  :grin:

Right,you can go back to sleep now.  :kiss:
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #5047 on: 28 July 2016, 17:09 »
cars don't get to look like that by magic, nor do teams of little elves come in in the dead of night to deswirl, polish and preen these cars.  :grin:

I bl**dy wish they did :whistle:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline spider62

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5048 on: 28 July 2016, 19:58 »
Fitted a few bits today, Tarox Strada front pads, Lockwood 2 door GTI sill protectors and the Dynamic LED rear indicator kit.
Just need a bit more time to fit the Goodridge braided brake hose kit.
GTI PP MK7,LSG,DCC,Winter Pack,Kenwood GNV-MIB1 + VCDS Mods

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5049 on: 28 July 2016, 20:26 »
cars don't get to look like that by magic, nor do teams of little elves come in in the dead of night to deswirl, polish and preen these cars.  :grin:

I bl**dy wish they did :whistle:

Imagine I'd you could buy detailing elves on cleanyourcar.co.uk  :laugh:
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual