Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2785025 times)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #4990 on: 23 July 2016, 23:49 »
Left it dirty with almost 2 months of grime on it.Ruthlessly efficient but it leaves me cold.... :sad:
Should never have sold the M135i.

Get yourself a DTUK box - it'll brighten the GTD up no end!

(And a Pedalbox)  :whistle:

Aye.But what about my 3 year warranty when it all goes tits up!. :embarrassed:
Looked at some REVO stuff but thought i'd wait till the warranty was up.The call of the M140i is strong. :evil:
Why would it go tits up?
Plus they're really easy and quick to remove on a Diesel unlike a petrol version
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
« Reply #4991 on: 24 July 2016, 07:41 »
Left it dirty with almost 2 months of grime on it.Ruthlessly efficient but it leaves me cold.... :sad:
Should never have sold the M135i.

I never managed to describe my GTD in so few words, but that is exactly how I felt. I admired it, but never loved it, hence my GTI, which I love more and more as the miles go on.

Not quite as ruthlessly efficient, but did a round trip of 400 miles yesterday at an average of nearly 40 MPG, which is pretty good, considering the "exuberant" manner in which the miles were covered, especially the last few, back over the Wolds!  :nerd:

Edit: Just checked and the average speed over the last 200 miles was 54 MPH!
« Last Edit: 24 July 2016, 15:22 by Talk-torque »
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4992 on: 24 July 2016, 10:05 »
Looked at some REVO stuff but thought i'd wait till the warranty was up.The call of the M140i is strong. :evil:

Although there have been a few GTIs running 280-300ps and a few Rs running 365ps with a box having clutch or turbo issues (not many, but a few), i'm unaware of anyone with bother that could be associated with a tuning box on a GTD - they do seem to be over-engineered vs the petrol variants.

I ran a DTUK box on my GTD without issue for 10k miles before passing my box onto my Dad (as I was getting an R) and he has ran it on his GTD for 40k miles without issue.

Best way to imagine the GTD with a box on is to say it accelerates in 6th like stock does in 4th. It is a doddle to remove for servicing and warranty work, and most of the insurance companies charge you pennies for having it on (my premium went up a tenner).

The MK7 GTD is a bit boring compared to my Scirocco 170TDI, but that is due to how far the refinement has come and its very linear (for a diesel) power output that doesn't feel half as quick as it is when pressing on.

A boxed GTD will outdo a standard GTI or Focus ST (just) once rolling.
« Last Edit: 24 July 2016, 12:56 by monkeyhanger »
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #4993 on: 24 July 2016, 10:13 »
I don't think it's possible to "love" a diesel hatchback. They're efficient at what they do, they can look good (GTD) but exciting or fun to drive they are not. I had a MK6 GTD and felt the same way about it. Couldn't wait to get back to the petrol.
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4994 on: 24 July 2016, 10:27 »
I don't think it's possible to "love" a diesel hatchback. They're efficient at what they do, they can look good (GTD) but exciting or fun to drive they are not. I had a MK6 GTD and felt the same way about it. Couldn't wait to get back to the petrol.

I loved my Sciroccos (both GTDs), maybe because it was a head turner until every other marque out there started copying the style (A-class, Clio etc.), the GTI was as boring as the GTD for me when I had a test drive - again I think it was down to a jump in refinement for the MK7.

The DTUK'd GTD was quick enough for me, but the tramping issue was still a reason to change - it would've been a lot cheaper to change the tyres on my GTD than change the GTD for the R and then still change the tyres anyway because it also came on sh!tty Bridgestones.

The R is quick enough for the perception of speed to match what it actually does when you put your foot down i.e. it feels as quick as it is.
« Last Edit: 24 July 2016, 10:33 by monkeyhanger »
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Jackie Treehorn

« Reply #4995 on: 24 July 2016, 21:54 »
Just back from a 2k Spanish trip in the car.

Brake dust on the tyres makes them latte brown until I cleaned them :whistle:

Storm coming, in more ways than one

and our cat lurking with intent...

« Last Edit: 25 July 2016, 06:35 by Jackie Treehorn »

Offline GTI_Ant

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4996 on: 24 July 2016, 23:23 »
Call of M240i is stronger - 1 series is hideous.  M2 for that matter.
GTi Clubsport DCC winter pack rear camera
Previous:
7.5R 3dr DSG DPB Prets Dynaudio
MK7 GTI PP Tungsten Silver Manual Nav Dynaudio Winter Pack Park Assist

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #4997 on: 25 July 2016, 08:58 »
Just back from a 2k Spanish trip in the car.

Brake dust on the tyres makes them latte brown until I cleaned them :whistle:

Storm coming, in more ways than one

and our cat lurking with intent...

Looks great, nice place in Spain! Do you just cross the channel and drive all the way or get a ferry further down out of interest?
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #4998 on: 25 July 2016, 09:19 »
Nothing to add, just wanted to make the 5,000th reply (unless someone has beaten me to it whilst typing this :rolleyes:) :whistle:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4999 on: 25 July 2016, 09:57 »
Nothing to add, just wanted to make the 5,000th reply (unless someone has beaten me to it whilst typing this :rolleyes:) :whistle:

Congratulations on being the 5,000th reply to this thread.  You have won.........a big, fat

...........nothing.  :grin:  :laugh:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11