Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2785046 times)

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #4830 on: 23 June 2016, 15:11 »
So why didn't VW also change the badges on the front wings for the PP GTI so the 'GTI' lettering is in red to match the tailgate and front grille badges?
I notice you have a Polo GTI.
I drove alongside a white one for a few miles the other day, a young kid was at the wheel.
I noticed him admiring my Golf, little knowing that I was quite envious of his Polo!  :smiley:
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Online SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #4831 on: 23 June 2016, 16:10 »
So why didn't VW also change the badges on the front wings for the PP GTI so the 'GTI' lettering is in red to match the tailgate and front grille badges?
I drove alongside a white one for a few miles the other day, a young kid was at the wheel.
I noticed him admiring my Golf, little knowing that I was quite envious of his Polo!  :smiley:

Yes I have. It's a bit more old-school hot hatch than the Golf GTI, but much more refined than the hot hatches I owned in the 80's. It fits the bill for what I want and need my car to do, although I don't think I fit the stereotypical mould of the young Polo GTI driver (I'm retired!).

I really like the mk7 Golf GTI, but it's grown a bit too large for me.

2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4832 on: 23 June 2016, 16:49 »
Red GTI badges are much cooler than the silver ones and tie all the red accents together. That's why VW introduced them on the PP  :wink:

That maybe so, but on some paintwork colours they look tacky (IMO).
I think it's about time VW changed the 'R' logo to red. It's barely noticeable in silver as its so tiny.
What do you think ?

No, we like to be under the radar, not all in yer face with shouty red badges.  :tongue: :grin:
There's a fine line between being under the rader and being non-descript :whistle:

I'll take nondescript - I don't drive it for the benefit of others.  :kiss: :grin:

The GTI red accents were far better when they were kept subtle, calipers, the iconic stripe - course that was before they made the disastrous decision to continue the red stripe through the headlights - what were they thinking - and now red badges!!!  Soon the real GTI is going to be looking itself like one of the many GTI imposters that are on the increase.  :tongue:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4833 on: 23 June 2016, 16:51 »

Yes I have. It's a bit more old-school hot hatch than the Golf GTI, but much more refined than the hot hatches I owned in the 80's. It fits the bill for what I want and need my car to do, although I don't think I fit the stereotypical mould of the young Polo GTI driver (I'm retired!).

It's a lovely looking Polo especially with it's new boots on.  :cool:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Online SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #4834 on: 23 June 2016, 17:04 »

It's a lovely looking Polo especially with it's new boots on.  :cool:

Thanks Rebecca.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #4835 on: 23 June 2016, 17:51 »
Red GTI badges are much cooler than the silver ones and tie all the red accents together. That's why VW introduced them on the PP  :wink:

That maybe so, but on some paintwork colours they look tacky (IMO).
I think it's about time VW changed the 'R' logo to red. It's barely noticeable in silver as its so tiny.
What do you think ?

No, we like to be under the radar, not all in yer face with shouty red badges.  :tongue: :grin:
There's a fine line between being under the rader and being non-descript :whistle:

I'll take nondescript - I don't drive it for the benefit of others.  :kiss: :grin:

The GTI red accents were far better when they were kept subtle, calipers, the iconic stripe - course that was before they made the disastrous decision to continue the red stripe through the headlights - what were they thinking - and now red badges!!!  Soon the real GTI is going to be looking itself like one of the many GTI imposters that are on the increase.  :tongue:

I could be wrong but I thought red on the badges of VWs has denoted more powerful versions of their cars for many years - the TDI all in silver was a basic model but a TDI with a red 'I' was more powerful. Seen it on very old Passats etc. So the red GTI on PP models is just a continuation of the same?

Personally I like all the red accents and particularly the red line through the headlights. I want it to look different to the others, that might be because my previous car was a bit under the radar and I wanted something more showy. Judging by the amount of attention my car receives I'm guessing there are quite a few out there that think the same! But, once I'm over my crisis I may prefer something more understated, who knows. For now though, I'm loving it :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4836 on: 23 June 2016, 19:55 »

I could be wrong but I thought red on the badges of VWs has denoted more powerful versions of their cars for many years - the TDI all in silver was a basic model but a TDI with a red 'I' was more powerful. Seen it on very old Passats etc. So the red GTI on PP models is just a continuation of the same?

Personally I like all the red accents and particularly the red line through the headlights. I want it to look different to the others, that might be because my previous car was a bit under the radar and I wanted something more showy. Judging by the amount of attention my car receives I'm guessing there are quite a few out there that think the same! But, once I'm over my crisis I may prefer something more understated, who knows. For now though, I'm loving it :smiley:

Yes that's the case.  I had GTI's for several years and adored them and still do, but I think they should just have the one version - the PP but just call it the GTI - why have 2 different power options - no need IMO. As for the iconic GTI red accents- absolutely should be there, that is the GTI, but sometimes less is more and IMO it doesn't really need any more than it originally had.  Just my thoughts - we are all different.  I did think I might miss the red moving from a GTI to an R, but can honestly say I haven't. My partner on the other hand does miss it and doesn't think the R looks as special as a GTI but what does he know.  :grin:
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #4837 on: 23 June 2016, 20:36 »

Yes that's the case.  I had GTI's for several years and adored them and still do, but I think they should just have the one version - the PP but just call it the GTI - why have 2 different power options - no need IMO. As for the iconic GTI red accents- absolutely should be there, that is the GTI, but sometimes less is more and IMO it doesn't really need any more than it originally had.  Just my thoughts - we are all different.  I did think I might miss the red moving from a GTI to an R, but can honestly say I haven't. My partner on the other hand does miss it and doesn't think the R looks as special as a GTI but what does he know.  :grin:

Presumably he knows exactly what you tell him to? :whistle:

We all need a change now and then, with the exception of my first two cars (mk1 and mk2 Capris) I've never owned the same model of car more than once.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #4838 on: 23 June 2016, 20:40 »

I like the sound of your better half Rebecca, seems to know his cars :grin:
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4839 on: 23 June 2016, 20:49 »

I like the sound of your better half Rebecca, seems to know his cars :grin:

He knows nothing.  :laugh:

If it wasn't for him I would've been driving an R32 years ago, but instead had to slum it in a GTI.  :whistle:
« Last Edit: 23 June 2016, 20:51 by Booth11 »
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual