Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2785005 times)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #4780 on: 13 June 2016, 10:56 »
I think the vanilla MK7 Golfs (the non GTI/D/R versions) are starting to look very humdrum and tired now tbh...

That kind of suits their character  :lipsrsealed:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline peterdoherty

• Here all the time
« Reply #4781 on: 13 June 2016, 12:10 »
Today I have another mk7.

It's silver and is a Diesel.

I don't know much else about it and I'm not in love with it.
It has alloy wheels and nav so I'm guessing it's not the bottom of the range and I quite like the part alcantara seats.
The engine has a horrible drone on the overrun and it takes a welly full to get it to move briskly.
I'm finally getting to grips with modern VW's and their throttle modulation. The dead initial take up in my GTI and R now make a bit of sense having driven this car. It must be an emissions thing as the car is very happy crawling along in stop start traffic and using the actual stop start it was recording 35mpg in near stationery rush hour traffic. Pottering around town with minimal effort with the throttle it's easily doing 45mpg using barely any revs yet when you need it to move quickly, to pull out of a junction into a flowing 40mph limit for example, it really needs a heavy right foot.
This car is designed for pottering about at zero revs or cruising and nothing in between.
Those two things it does quite well (diesel clatter and drone aside) but it's not a great car for give and take driving. Mind you I wouldn't mind betting the 1.4 TSI petrol is set up the same way.

So, driving dynamics aside, what do I think of it?
Well, it feels like a Golf.
VW harp on about heritage and yes, in a model like this it does indeed feel like any other Golf from any other generation just with a slightly different radio.
The cabin just feels like a Golf cabin, the exterior just looks Golf like, it drives like any other VW and with its balloon tyres is much more comfy than an R on 19's.

I'm guessing the thing must cost way over £20k to buy and so therefore the crunch question is "would I buy one of these with my own money?"

No. Sorry, this car has a lot of attributes and I'm sure it would make a very unassuming and reliable companion but it has zero charisma and zero charm.

If you read almost any road test of any generation of Golf ever over the last 30 odd years I'm sure the old cliche will come up "worthy but dull"
Nail on head.
Yawn.

Sounds like the brand new GT 1.6TDI I have on loan whilst my turbos being sorted
MKVII GTD DSG Carbon Grey 5DR, Dynaudio, Keyless Entry, Rear View Camera, Colour MFD, Park Assist, Winter Pack, Climate Screen, Advanced Phone Kit, High Beam Assist

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4782 on: 13 June 2016, 13:06 »
I took a walk around the back and it says 2.0 blue motion.
I think the blue motion means someone stuffed a pair of socks down the inlet pipe.

I tried it in sport mode and it still feels completely flat albeit more responsive at 1% accelerator depression, then nothing, then something happens a bit later on but I've lost confidence in it by that point and just settled for a tickle of the pedal and driving it like I drive my R around town (but for the opposite reason).

Normally I love Diesels for their drivability. Get in, start engine, ride the torque and enjoy the low and mid range thrust whilst being smug about the fuel consumption.
This one is seriously amiss.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #4783 on: 13 June 2016, 13:14 »
I think the blue motion means someone stuffed a pair of socks down the inlet pipe.

Your inbox is full Andy
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #4784 on: 13 June 2016, 13:29 »
Taken mine back to the garage that repaired the front wing a few weeks ago. I noticed some tiny bubbles in the lacquer whilst washing it at the weekend - the garage owner had a look and was very apologetic. He'd sprayed it himself and seemed genuinely disappointed - he also agreed to sort a few stone chips too so that's a bonus!

Slightly different but filled the tank today and had averaged 39.4mpg for the last tank over 436 miles, impressed by that :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4785 on: 13 June 2016, 13:39 »

Your inbox is full Andy

D'oh!
I've cleared a bit of space Steve :afro:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4786 on: 13 June 2016, 20:59 »
I think the vanilla MK7 Golfs (the non GTI/D/R versions) are starting to look very humdrum and tired now tbh...

Totally agree.  All a bit too.......Golf!  They need the extra styling additions for sure.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4787 on: 13 June 2016, 21:00 »

I tried it in sport mode and it still feels completely flat albeit more responsive at 1% accelerator depression, then nothing, then something happens a bit later on but I've lost confidence in it by that point and just settled for a tickle of the pedal and driving it like I drive my R around town (but for the opposite reason).

Normally I love Diesels for their drivability. Get in, start engine, ride the torque and enjoy the low and mid range thrust whilst being smug about the fuel consumption.
This one is seriously amiss.

Well if nothing else it's a good reminder that the R (and other performance Golfs) are the right choice.  :smiley:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4788 on: 14 June 2016, 05:36 »
^^^^
It certainly is Mademoiselle B.
The gap in desirability between the models is greater than the price difference.

Taken mine back to the garage that repaired the front wing a few weeks ago. I noticed some tiny bubbles in the lacquer whilst washing it at the weekend - the garage owner had a look and was very apologetic. He'd sprayed it himself and seemed genuinely disappointed - he also agreed to sort a few stone chips too so that's a bonus!

Slightly different but filled the tank today and had averaged 39.4mpg for the last tank over 436 miles, impressed by that :smiley:
I now have Ted and your GTI in print form!  :smiley:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #4789 on: 14 June 2016, 14:30 »
I now have Ted and your GTI in print form!  :smiley:

Famous Ted! I'd have thought they would've preferred someone to be a bit more techy in their opinion so I was a bit surprised they took mine, perhaps they didn't have too many to choose from?! Haven't even seen it myself yet!
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.