Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2785020 times)

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #4720 on: 31 May 2016, 07:32 »
Do the door cards come off and refit easily Andrew??
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #4721 on: 31 May 2016, 11:17 »
Yeah, dead easy Chris.

Use a proper trim removal tool to save marking the panel, then:

Lever off the cover over the door pull grab, and remove the Torx screw inside the handle.
Removal the second Torx screw at the bottom of the door handle grab.
On the bottom edge of the door - use a 10mm spanner and turn the special fixing through 90° (in the middle of the lower door panel underneath).
Start at the bottom edge and gently but firmly start pulling the door panel away then insert the trim removal tool to "persuade" the pop in fixings to come out (you can be fairly rough and they are quite strong).
After the panel fixings are off, gentle pull the door card slightly backwards to release it from it's front clips and out of the door window channel (just need to jiggle the panel slightly and lift upwards).
Carefully remove the cable to the door release handle (a very simple clip you pull back to release), then carefully release all the wiring connectors - from memory as below:
Drivers door - Windows switch, alarm LED, exterior mirror cable, central locking cable and ambient lighting cable (so 5 in total)
Passenger Door - Windows Switch, ambient lighting only (2 only 2).

On the rears doors it's the same, but the special fixing you need to turn though 90° on the bottom edge of the door is inside the area covered by the dummy red lens on the door. There's also only 3 connectors (apart from the door handle cable) and that's electric windows, tweeter connector and finally a power connector for the door locks etc.

As I'd already done it on the White GTD, I knew what I needed to do so could have the news cards off in a matter of minutes. Hope this helps.
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #4722 on: 31 May 2016, 12:02 »
Yeah it's pretty easy but takes a bit of brute force - a sharp tug - to release the clips. You'd probably need 1-2 spare clips per door card. I think I broke one clip between the 2 front door cards.
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Jackie Treehorn

« Reply #4723 on: 31 May 2016, 19:52 »
I have on one occasion opened the bonnet to see cat hairs on the fabric battery cover and bonnet sound proof material, You can see the ground at the back of the engine and I think our cat has climbed up between the turbo and battery when its warm.  its a little odd but that's the only reason I can think for the cat hairs in that location...
There must be a space in the market for a tool to remove cat hairs from under bonnet areas! This time next year, I'll be a millionaire, Rodney!  :cool:

:grin:

I am embarrassed to say it, but I did vacuum them off. I did it while the car was in the garage as I didn't want my neighbours thinking i'm mental  :wink:

Offline dave7268

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4724 on: 01 June 2016, 18:17 »
Took car in for its 2yr service only to be told, before I was about to go and collect it, that I have a coolant leak and they need to strip the engine down to find it  :cry:

Under warranty with VW approved parts so all is good, keep us posted  :wink:

Well, finally got my car back today after what seems like a lifetime!

The coolant leak was where a hose attaches to the coolant pump so they replaced the hose but then found out that the coolant pump wasn't working properly. This too was replaced and then they found the coolant had contaminated one of the belts so they replaced that too.

Talking with the mechanic who done the job, he was saying that it is quite a common problem on the GTI and R. There was even an R in the next bay in the garage getting the same job done at the very same time as mine  :shocked:

It was only a very slight leak that they happened to see upon visible inspection - I had no warning lights on or high temps, no overheating smells whatsoever. Glad they found it and fixed the problem but a word of caution for all.....

7GTI PP DSG - no longer

Offline gtiaps

• I live here
« Reply #4725 on: 01 June 2016, 19:04 »
Took car in for its 2yr service only to be told, before I was about to go and collect it, that I have a coolant leak and they need to strip the engine down to find it  :cry:

The coolant leak was where a hose attaches to the coolant pump so they replaced the hose but then found out that the coolant pump wasn't working properly. This too was replaced and then they found the coolant had contaminated one of the belts so they replaced that too.

Talking with the mechanic who done the job, he was saying that it is quite a common problem on the GTI and R. There was even an R in the next bay in the garage getting the same job done at the very same time as mine  :shocked:

It was only a very slight leak that they happened to see upon visible inspection - I had no warning lights on or high temps, no overheating smells whatsoever. Glad they found it and fixed the problem but a word of caution for all.....

Thanks for the heads up on that il keep an eye on mine and look for any wet patches under the car...
Glad they got yours all sorted  :grin: RESULT  :whistle: :whistle:
2010 Candy White Scirocco 2.0 TDI
2016 Carbon Grey Gti 2.0 Fully Loaded

COLLECTED 29/4/2016 and well pleased with the GTI😆😆

Jackie Treehorn

« Reply #4726 on: 01 June 2016, 20:02 »

wrong thread sorry nothing to see.......

Running Man

« Reply #4727 on: 01 June 2016, 20:46 »
V.much looking forward to my new daily runaround Golf GTI - in the meantime come on England v Russia  :smiley:

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
« Reply #4728 on: 02 June 2016, 11:16 »

Quick question regarding this - did you need to top up the coolant at all prior to it going in? Just wondering if it's something to keep an eye on even if you aren't needing to top up.
2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!

Offline dave7268

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4729 on: 02 June 2016, 17:14 »
Quick question regarding this - did you need to top up the coolant at all prior to it going in? Just wondering if it's something to keep an eye on even if you aren't needing to top up.

Nope, and the last time I checked my coolant level was about 4 weeks prior to the car going in for it's service and everything seemed fine then and as I mentioned no discernible overheating, etc. so was genuinely surprised when they told me I had a leak and the car is used as a daily driver.
7GTI PP DSG - no longer