Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2785070 times)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #4620 on: 20 May 2016, 17:51 »
That looks so much better Andy "wickid stance bro, innit" as they'd say on some forums (or on Eastenders).
Great shots. I'm hopeless at remembering to take photos when doing car mods.

I didn't use the little screws either for much the same reason. I bet 90% of people that buy them think "what a clever little idea" then don't get round to fitting them!!
It thoroughly pissed me off to be honest as using the screw would have saved my poor back.
Another lesson learned, don't start a job without having ALL the correct tools. I couldn't find my massive role of emery paper for cleaning the hubs either so had to resort to using sand paper.
Pathetic!!

That's the trouble with doing jobs you don't do very often. You're out of routine and a bit less prepared so little bits get forgotten, especially when you're humping heavy great wheels around trying not to get a hernia and slipped disc at the same time. I guess some people would painstakingly make a check list before starting the job; these type of people tend not to be much fun at parties! I wish I was that organised though!!

I used some Mer polish I bought at GTI International about 25 years ago on my hubs. The guy doing the demonstration said Mer never goes off so I bought a container of it and put him to the test! I use it for little rubbing down jobs where I want a gentle cut and polish. Fair play to it, it still does a job!!
Apologies to any detailers offended by this.  :whistle:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4621 on: 20 May 2016, 18:01 »
I used some Mer polish I bought at GTI International about 25 years ago on my hubs. The guy doing the demonstration said Mer never goes off so I bought a container of it and put him to the test! I use it for little rubbing down jobs where I want a gentle cut and polish. Fair play to it, it still does a job!!

That's good shelf life for you. :afro: 

Amusing the way you constantly try so hard to offend the detailers amongst us. :rolleyes:  :grin:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #4622 on: 20 May 2016, 19:03 »
That looks so much better Andy "wickid stance bro, innit" as they'd say on some forums (or on Eastenders).
Great shots. I'm hopeless at remembering to take photos when doing car mods.

I didn't use the little screws either for much the same reason. I bet 90% of people that buy them think "what a clever little idea" then don't get round to fitting them!!
It thoroughly pissed me off to be honest as using the screw would have saved my poor back.
Another lesson learned, don't start a job without having ALL the correct tools. I couldn't find my massive role of emery paper for cleaning the hubs either so had to resort to using sand paper.
Pathetic!!

That's the trouble with doing jobs you don't do very often. You're out of routine and a bit less prepared so little bits get forgotten, especially when you're humping heavy great wheels around trying not to get a hernia and slipped disc at the same time. I guess some people would painstakingly make a check list before starting the job; these type of people tend not to be much fun at parties! I wish I was that organised though!!

Having had a couple of hours to let my mind fester, I have decided that I am going to refit my wheels using the screw, at the earliest oppurtunity.
My reasoning is this.....if I get a puncture and go to say, kwik fit, when they remove my wheel there is a chance the spacer could simply fall off the hub and get damaged. Also it will make the refitting of the wheel a simple operation as opposed to them fumbling around trying to line two sets of holes up and f**king my alloys up.
I realise that by then, the spacer could well be corroded onto the hub, but dare I take that chance :grin:
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #4623 on: 20 May 2016, 20:08 »
A good coating of copper grease should stop them corroding on. They do improve the looks too. Apart from slightly heavier steering, have you noticed any other differences?
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #4624 on: 20 May 2016, 20:28 »
Having had a couple of hours to let my mind fester, I have decided that I am going to refit my wheels using the screw, at the earliest oppurtunity.
My reasoning is this.....if I get a puncture and go to say, kwik fit, when they remove my wheel there is a chance the spacer could simply fall off the hub and get damaged. Also it will make the refitting of the wheel a simple operation as opposed to them fumbling around trying to line two sets of holes up and f**king my alloys up.
I realise that by then, the spacer could well be corroded onto the hub, but dare I take that chance :grin:

You need one of these.
Makes putting alloys on a breeze.

HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4625 on: 20 May 2016, 23:16 »
^^^^^ every time I take a wheel off I remind myself I need to buy one of those Steve

That's good shelf life for you. :afro: 

Amusing the way you constantly try so hard to offend the detailers amongst us. :rolleyes:  :grin:

It'll probably explode when I shake the container one day!
I only use a drop of it a couple times a year for odd jobs.
Mind you, I still reckon it's one of the best glass polishes I've ever used and can be used in sunlight too unlike a lot of cleaning products that don't like the sun. I wonder how different the ingredients of 1990's Mer is to newer stuff come to think of it.

As someone who has a history of being very precious with their cars I have a detailers mentality so just picture the cringes going on when I mention some things.
I'm the detailing equivalent of a reformed smoker!!
« Last Edit: 20 May 2016, 23:19 by Exonian »
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #4626 on: 21 May 2016, 00:01 »
A good coating of copper grease should stop them corroding on. They do improve the looks too. Apart from slightly heavier steering, have you noticed any other differences?
Its very early days but Im aware of a difference in driving characteristics. I'll keep you up to date. 
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4627 on: 21 May 2016, 00:42 »
Its very early days but Im aware of a difference in driving characteristics. I'll keep you up to date.
They do make a little bit of difference to the steering feel but you get used to that within a day or two.
Possibly part of that feel is because the car has been jacked up so the suspension needs a few miles to settle. A bit like when a car has just been serviced and has had its wheels and suspension dangling in the air for an hour or two. It always feels a bit different when you collect it.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #4628 on: 21 May 2016, 08:55 »

You need one of these.
Makes putting alloys on a breeze.
I've got some but forgot to use them like a complete idiot.

5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #4629 on: 21 May 2016, 09:00 »
I couldn't find my tub of copper grease so I need to buy some more for next time the wheels are off.
The car definitely feels different but I can't make my mind up whether it's better or worse as I've only driven about 15 miles since adding the spacers.
I'll report back in a few days.
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP