Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2785001 times)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #4510 on: 11 May 2016, 16:37 »
I think I've got some Atlas Grey touch up off an old mk2 GTI somewhere (assuming it's not dried up in the pot). That will hopefully be a reasonable match.
Thankfully it is the NSF tyre already, that'll save me having to dig my rusty trolley-Jack out!  :smiley:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4511 on: 11 May 2016, 16:44 »
Today I have joined the self inflicted damage club  :angry:

Half asleep at just after 4am I clipped the frame of the garage door aperture with my alloy wheel.

Me who is normally super careful with my wheels is now a very unhappy bunny.

It looks worse in the flesh as the contrast between grey wheel and silver alloy is much more noticeable.
Grrrrrrrrrrr.

NOOO!  :cry:

Feel for you Mr Ex.  But easily repairable by a good reputable diamond cut rerfuber.

Self inflicted damage club bad enough but hope you don't join the 'inflicted by other brainless t***s club.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Eccie

• Here all the time
  • Keyless & Penniless
« Reply #4512 on: 11 May 2016, 16:48 »
You could always lend the car to your wife - then tell her you spotted some damage - you never know she may try to make it up to you.... :kiss:

« Last Edit: 11 May 2016, 22:41 by Eccie »

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4513 on: 11 May 2016, 16:56 »
It's dark grey paint Ms B, the polished wheels came off the car ASAP when I got it.
I'll try and touch it in myself or get a smart repair at worst.

@ Eccie, last time my wife kerbed a wheel, thankfully on my old runabout which was in really good condition back then, she arrived home in tears knowing how precious I am about such things! Mind you it was kerbed good and proper.
I was ok about that but less impressed when she reversed into my car several years later  :rolleyes:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
« Reply #4514 on: 11 May 2016, 16:59 »
Exonian - I feel your pain. Managed to take a chunk out of one of my BBS SRs the other day. Thankfully the same one as the wife kerbed a while ago, so not got 2 to refurb! £60 from a local wheel refurbers who assure me they can match the paint and the satin finish.

In other news, refitted my tuning box  :smiley: and also fitted an insert to stiffen up the bush on the dogbone mount - it's added a very slight amount of NVH but has definitely reduced the tramping  :smiley: :smiley:
2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4515 on: 11 May 2016, 17:15 »
It's dark grey paint Ms B, the polished wheels came off the car ASAP when I got it.

So it is!  Wasn't thinking or looking properly, lol.  Should be easy to disguise then with a bit of paint.  :smiley:  At least its the NSF one although hopefully no further damage will occur but that one's always the danger wheel!
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4516 on: 11 May 2016, 17:51 »
Exonian - I feel your pain. Managed to take a chunk out of one of my BBS SRs the other day. Thankfully the same one as the wife kerbed a while ago, so not got 2 to refurb! £60 from a local wheel refurbers who assure me they can match the paint and the satin finish.

In other news, refitted my tuning box  :smiley: and also fitted an insert to stiffen up the bush on the dogbone mount - it's added a very slight amount of NVH but has definitely reduced the tramping  :smiley: :smiley:
£60 is a very good price.
I think it's over £100 locally to me, although they are good they're not cheap!

Funnily enough I didn't get tramping with my GTI, nor on my friends company car (non PP) GTI even with tuning box fitted. I either got masses of pure wheel spin or nothing at all.
I probably just never drove them hard enough!

So it is!  Wasn't thinking or looking properly, lol.  Should be easy to disguise then with a bit of paint.  :smiley:  At least its the NSF one although hopefully no further damage will occur but that one's always the danger wheel!

The first scratch (or kerbing) is always the worst!
At least I've got two other sets to fall back on if I get too depressed about it  :grin:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #4517 on: 11 May 2016, 17:54 »
Andy I feel your pain. Nothing worse than hearing that noise of the wheel hitting something.
You might be lucky since it looks entirely on the angled lip so should be reasonably easy to disguise.
I might be inclined to rub with 3000 grit on the edges first.
The only problem is you know where it is so it will always catch your eye

@Eccie   :grin:
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #4518 on: 11 May 2016, 18:24 »
Bad luck Exonian, but better the wheel than the wing. Doesn't look too bad. Just don't bother to clean the wheels, it'll soon disappear under some brake dust!
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4519 on: 11 May 2016, 18:44 »
You could always lend the car your wife - then tell her you spotted some damage - you never know she may try to make it up to you.... :kiss:

Is that some elbow length pink nitrile glove she's wearing?  He must be in for the full deluxe treatment.  :wink: :grin:
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual