Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2784998 times)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #4390 on: 02 May 2016, 00:00 »
I don't see much wrong with that effort Exonian  :laugh:

Love the wheels too - really suit it.
Thanks
And thanks
And "phew!"

:grin:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4391 on: 02 May 2016, 00:45 »
Here's how I try and park btw, that's an end bay in a near deserted car park!

I once got a parking ticket for parking like that in an end bay.  I got it cancelled on the grounds that the end parking bay was smaller than all the other bays and the way the car in the next space had parked (right up to the edge of the line) meant I had not choice but to straddle the line. Plus I have a permit to park in all council off-street car parks due to my job, and as I was I work business that helped sway it. :wink:

Even if you park like that you still get some brainless idiot cosying right up to you.  I always try and park next to a hatched area if possible.  I personally wouldn't straddle 2 spaces in a supermarket car park, as I have seen people try to squeeze their cars into the remaining 3/4 space, and whilst it might be tempting to do so in a non busy car park, what's to say it won't get busy.  A few years back on a quick trip to the pet store, and a couple other shops, I pulled into the car park - there was a car was parked over 2 bays - not a problem, plenty of other spaces, but after running a few errands I returned to the car park to find it had filled up and the car taking up 2 bays was drawing very angry looks from those attempting to find a space. Someone gave him a right mouthful when he nonchalantly walked back to his car.  Made himself look an arrogant t**t.

But it's high time car parking spaces were revised to reflect the burgeoning waistlines of modern cars.   
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Mk7-GTD

• Here all the time
« Reply #4392 on: 02 May 2016, 07:36 »
as I've said, I'm not a double bay parking participant but I can't fathom why it's deemed antisocial so long as it's done responsibly when it's not actually going to deprive anyone of a space.
If it's OK for people to own T5's, X5's, Q7's etc that make the bays either side redundant if you actually want to open your door safely then in effect these "I'm considerably richer than yaw" (old Harry Enfield sketch) people are blocking three bays. Modern parking bays are too small and too many people have as much respect for their car as they do their considerably less expensive washing machine.

If Mr Mk7-GTD's brother can afford a car that can sustain damage as expensive as a Golf and not be written off then he's wealthier than 90% of the population and not really going to flinch at a repair cost, more likely as with most businessmen he'd be more worried about time lost sorting it out. Therefore I'll assume he was furious and doubly so if he takes pride in his car too, and a needless insurance claim, hassle etc.
Top marks to him parking responsibly in the first place and he has my sympathies, naturally.
For many people though,  the cost of constant minor repairs could end up at a level they're just unwilling to accept or unable to keep affording.

I'm sorry but on a forum section around cars that can do double the UK national speed limit then I'm sure those doing some pontificating about 'anti social' defensive parking habits obviously wouldn't ever consider far more anti social things like speeding then?

Explain why two bay parking is worse than/as bad as speeding. Please!

There's a section on here where people go to great lengths explaining how they clean their cars to a mirror like finish using expensive chemicals, machinery and rare waxes. I used to spend four to six hours every weekend cleaning my cars once upon a time. Can you blame people for wanting to protect those bits of machinery they've spent years saving for and many hours cherishing?
Yes, the detailing section bores my Arse off but I can relate to the people that post in it and I fully respect them wanting to protect their investments as best they can so long as they do so responsibly. And going by the type of people being referred to here they're definitely by far the most responsible. And no I'm not referring to me!! Not by any means.
Yes, damage is likely to happen at some point in a car's life but trying to minimise it should be applauded.

I'm open to all sides of the debate - convince me why parking over two bays is bad if it's not going to deprive someone of a space.

Edited as a paragraph vanished when I was fiddling around on an edit using a piddly phone screen

How do you know it's not going to deprive someone of a parking space? If you know that there is no chance that the car park is going to fill up then you have as much of a chance knowing where no other car will park. The fact is you don't know if the car park is going to fill up.

Not sure why you're bringing speeding into it, it is a bit like asking why we don't all drive electric cars.

Yes my brother can afford to fix his cars and the fact that his car was damaged was the worst part for him. It was a Bugatti EB110 by the way so parts are not exactly off the shelf.

I don't think that anyone getting their cars damaged is a joke as was said earlier(not by you) but aren't you more lightly to get your car damaged by just driving it as in stone chips and the like than getting it damaged while parked?

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4393 on: 02 May 2016, 10:00 »

I once got a parking ticket for parking like that in an end bay.  I got it cancelled on the grounds that the end parking bay was smaller than all the other bays and the way the car in the next space had parked (right up to the edge of the line) meant I had not choice but to straddle the line. Plus I have a permit to park in all council off-street car parks due to my job, and as I was I work business that helped sway it. :wink:

Even if you park like that you still get some brainless idiot cosying right up to you.  I always try and park next to a hatched area if possible.  I personally wouldn't straddle 2 spaces in a supermarket car park, as I have seen people try to squeeze their cars into the remaining 3/4 space, and whilst it might be tempting to do so in a non busy car park, what's to say it won't get busy.  A few years back on a quick trip to the pet store, and a couple other shops, I pulled into the car park - there was a car was parked over 2 bays - not a problem, plenty of other spaces, but after running a few errands I returned to the car park to find it had filled up and the car taking up 2 bays was drawing very angry looks from those attempting to find a space. Someone gave him a right mouthful when he nonchalantly walked back to his car.  Made himself look an arrogant t**t.

But it's high time car parking spaces were revised to reflect the burgeoning waistlines of modern cars.
I wouldn't dare park like that in a 'normal' car park.
This is a little country car park out of the way that I use when I'm waiting to give my sons a lift home.
I do generally go in between the lines but as the place was completely empty that morning I got a bit lazy with lining the car up.
Aside from that I generally park like yourself and indeed as per your last reply to my wittering I also am quite happy to park some distance away from where the sheep park and walk the rest of the way even if the weather is terrible!

How do you know it's not going to deprive someone of a parking space? If you know that there is no chance that the car park is going to fill up then you have as much of a chance knowing where no other car will park. The fact is you don't know if the car park is going to fill up.

Not sure why you're bringing speeding into it, it is a bit like asking why we don't all drive electric cars.

Yes my brother can afford to fix his cars and the fact that his car was damaged was the worst part for him. It was a Bugatti EB110 by the way so parts are not exactly off the shelf.

I don't think that anyone getting their cars damaged is a joke as was said earlier(not by you) but aren't you more lightly to get your car damaged by just driving it as in stone chips and the like than getting it damaged while parked?
Well I personally can quite easily tell when a car park is likely to fill up and when it isn't as I generally work around the mass hordes that work 9-5 during the week then descent like locusts on supermarkets and shopping mall car parks at precisely 11AM at weekends all wearing their black North Face coats in their SUV's and headed for the nearest place that serves trendy paper coffee cups that they can walk around pretending to be sipping whilst 'looking cool'.
A little bit of forethought and you know when to avoid busy times.
I go on strike if i'm asked to go anywhere busy as I hate crowds.

I chose speeding as it's another example of anti social driving.
Don't get me started on so called 'green' electric cars. They're just as polluting as anything else, the pollution is just moved down the road a little bit.
And don't get me started on middle lane hoggers, or people in modern cars with power steering that still insist on cutting corners by huge amounts as they're too lazy to steer a wheel when turning into side roads, or people that cut into your braking distance gap when you're trying to leave a bit of a safety margin to reduce the chance of you rear ending the vehicle in front because you can't see past their fat arsed SUV, and they're probably not reading the road themselves due to fiddling with their gadgets rather than watching the road ahead (and the double bonus is that you're less likely to get stone chips from their huge tyres flicking up poorly laid tarmac chippings)...

nah, as ever, I'm totally out of touch with the rest of society, I'll leave it there and go sit in the corner now, i've bored everyone and myself quite enough.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #4394 on: 02 May 2016, 10:07 »
Correct I won't be apologising as I've got nothing to apologise for. At no point did I say I parked in 2 bays in a busy car park so I would suggest some actually read posts carefully before abusing and ridiculing others.

Personally I'm not prepared to put up with ignorant drivers opening car doors and letting trollies bash into my car so I'll continue to park in two bays 'at the furthest point away'from anyone else. I'm fact I'm sure if you asked the people who do take two bays why they are doing it they would say it's because of mindless others, I don't have a problem with it and if the bays are free who cares.

For what it's worth I totally agree with Exonian and the points he made.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline hardmonkeys

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
« Reply #4395 on: 02 May 2016, 10:17 »
I park in 2 spaces, and I don't even have a mk7..but i park the far end of the car park,I've never seen the car park full to brimming, even at Xmas, and I'm putting myself out by parking so far away, but it's a small price to pay, as I'm piling on the pounds anyway so the walk does me good,  :grin:

'05 VW Golf Mk V GT TDI Laser Blue
'98 VW Golf Mk IV GTi Black
'97 VW Golf Mk III GTi
'58 VW Golf Mk V GT Sport TDI Steel Grey
'10 Audi A4 B8 SE Multitronic

'00 VW Golf Mk III.V Cabrio

MK3.5 Cabrio 2.0 8v Automatic to 2.0 16v Manual Conversion Project

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=272728.

www.dorsetautorestore.co.uk

Offline Mk7-GTD

• Here all the time
« Reply #4396 on: 02 May 2016, 10:42 »
Correct I won't be apologising as I've got nothing to apologise for. At no point did I say I parked in 2 bays in a busy car park so I would suggest some actually read posts carefully before abusing and ridiculing others.

Personally I'm not prepared to put up with ignorant drivers opening car doors and letting trollies bash into my car so I'll continue to park in two bays 'at the furthest point away'from anyone else. I'm fact I'm sure if you asked the people who do take two bays why they are doing it they would say it's because of mindless others, I don't have a problem with it and if the bays are free who cares.

For what it's worth I totally agree with Exonian and the points he made.

You thought it was okay to say that I though it was a joke that people get their cars damaged. I would never expect you to apologise for that for the same reason as you think it is okay to park like a ....(insert word of your choice)

You telling others to read posts is quite ironic when you either refuse or incapable to read what others say, I can only imagine it is the latter. You also seem to think, going by a post you made that was deleted that anyone that doesn't agree with you is a prick.

It is obviously your choice to park the way you want to as it is my choice to think what I think of people that use two bays to park.

Offline davewilliams000

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4397 on: 02 May 2016, 11:05 »
Oooops I seemed to have sparked a huge row by mentioning the 2 spaces thing. :shocked: I was actually (mostly) joking and trying to make a light hearted offhand comment to raise a smile... didn't realise it would get everyone's backs up so much. In the case of the person with the Cayman at our work, it's a nightshift person and the car park is quite empty most of the time, and they would certainly not be denying anyone a space at that time of night.

I'm not going to take any sides on this as I can see it from both sides, but everyone needs to calm down just a bit.  :lipsrsealed:
2015 65 plate Mk7 GTD Manual in Tornado Red

https://www.flickr.com/photos/davewilliams000

Offline Garhan

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4398 on: 02 May 2016, 11:30 »

I wouldn't dare park like that in a 'normal' car park.
This is a little country car park out of the way that I use when I'm waiting to give my sons a lift home.
I do generally go in between the lines but as the place was completely empty that morning I got a bit lazy with lining the car up.
Aside from that I generally park like yourself and indeed as per your last reply to my wittering I also am quite happy to park some distance away from where the sheep park and walk the rest of the way even if the weather is terrible!

Well I personally can quite easily tell when a car park is likely to fill up and when it isn't as I generally work around the mass hordes that work 9-5 during the week then descent like locusts on supermarkets and shopping mall car parks at precisely 11AM at weekends all wearing their black North Face coats in their SUV's and headed for the nearest place that serves trendy paper coffee cups that they can walk around pretending to be sipping whilst 'looking cool'.
A little bit of forethought and you know when to avoid busy times.
I go on strike if i'm asked to go anywhere busy as I hate crowds.

I chose speeding as it's another example of anti social driving.
Don't get me started on so called 'green' electric cars. They're just as polluting as anything else, the pollution is just moved down the road a little bit.
And don't get me started on middle lane hoggers, or people in modern cars with power steering that still insist on cutting corners by huge amounts as they're too lazy to steer a wheel when turning into side roads, or people that cut into your braking distance gap when you're trying to leave a bit of a safety margin to reduce the chance of you rear ending the vehicle in front because you can't see past their fat arsed SUV, and they're probably not reading the road themselves due to fiddling with their gadgets rather than watching the road ahead (and the double bonus is that you're less likely to get stone chips from their huge tyres flicking up poorly laid tarmac chippings)...

nah, as ever, I'm totally out of touch with the rest of society, I'll leave it there and go sit in the corner now, i've bored everyone and myself quite enough.

Exonian,your posts are always full of common sense,logic and well written.

Their a pleasure to read,keep it up.

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #4399 on: 02 May 2016, 11:43 »
If I visit the Trafford Centre and can't find a suitable parking spot, I go home, simple as that.
I'm not even slightly joking as my wife will confirm ( it's been the cause of many a row in the Kalimon household ).
It's the reason online shopping was invented isn't it?
And people do need to calm down, if I want to follow to a childish argument, I'll sign up to twitter :smiley:
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16