Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2785063 times)

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #4160 on: 02 April 2016, 10:58 »
Looks like it would be the official car of the Teenage Mutant  Ninja Turtles. Not my cup of tea, but as a cheap runabout there have been some crazy cheap lease deals on it over at HUKDs recently.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #4161 on: 02 April 2016, 11:35 »
More what someone else did to my car.......a quick trip to the shop ends with a chip and dent!   :cry:

Parked in a far flung corner of virtually empty car park, just about to drive off when someone decides to ignore all the empty spaces and park their Fiat right next to me!!  Next thing I hear Is a massive bang. The Fiat passenger has opened her door, let go of it and of course the high wind has flung it slap into my rear passenger door.  I get out and she starts saying, "oh there's no damage", erm, oh yes there is!  Nice big chip and dent right on the door crease.  I know it happens but what a dozy cow!  Got the driver's number but got the impression he won't be picking up the phone any time soon.

Hopefully a decent dent/smart repairer can sort it out.  It happens but annoyed to say the least.  :angry: :sad:

Had to nip to the Trafford centre this morning and managed to park correctly :smiley:
Correct parking at the Trafford centre. 
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline CARMAD KEV

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4162 on: 02 April 2016, 13:16 »
Just like i would do. Love it.

Wife thinks i am a complete roaster!

Never had a ding for about 15 years though.
DEEP PEARL BLACK 5 DOOR GTI (STANDARD SPEC) 6/4/16

CARBON BLACK 520D M SPORT SALOON (AUTO)
MILE MUNCHING COMPANY CAR 1/5/15

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #4163 on: 02 April 2016, 13:32 »
Some prick in a Smart car would probably attempt to squeeze in next to me if I parked there long enough :laugh:
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline Mk7-GTD

• Here all the time
« Reply #4164 on: 02 April 2016, 15:15 »
Some prick in a Smart car would probably attempt to squeeze in next to me if I parked there long enough :laugh:

Seen a car parked like that one day at a pub so myself and a friend I was meeting their parked our cars about 4" away from either side. When inside and got a drink and waited outside pissing ourselves laughing as the driver had to climb through the boot to get into his car  :grin:

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4165 on: 02 April 2016, 15:51 »

Seen a car parked like that one day at a pub so myself and a friend I was meeting their parked our cars about 4" away from either side. When inside and got a drink and waited outside pissing ourselves laughing as the driver had to climb through the boot to get into his car  :grin:

So cruel yet so funny! These things have to be done!

....................................................................................

What have I done to my mk7 today?
Today, after the anticlimax of the ClubSport pricing announced yesterday following the anticlimax of how ugly the thing is anyway, I took my R for a 4AM blast after a week of it just strutting to work and back at 30mph or less. Unfortunately that event also turned into an anticlimax as there were grazing deer sat by the side of the road for most of the journey so I thought I'd best be a bit sensible and keep the speed down.

So, what does one do in an R at 4AM when faced with a 40 mile cross country trip where the speed needs to be kept down? One decides that after 9 months now is the time to see what the ECO setting does.
And what are my findings you may ask? Not that anybody here really cares but my findings are that the ECO button makes the car crap to drive and the thing still didn't make 30mpg for the journey (computer figures, not measured).
Great. That was a waste of about six quid's worth of fuel and an hour of my life.

And on to more exciting things:
Yesterday, after a ridiculously busy week at work (and long days to boot) I took the works Caddy van out for an "essential" errand.
Safe to say I had more fun in that 76000 mile 14 plate base spec Caddy than I have had in my own car for ages. Power ain't everything guys.
Anybody want a quick scientific review of the Caddy van?

Well, after 76,000 miles it's still solid and rattle free, the power is smooth and the thing feels like it's carved from stone when on the road which ain't bad for a van. I do like that van.
However I like another works van even more, and that van is a 2011 Vauxhall Combo with just 30k on the clock. It's cheap, full of nasty plastics and has a weird and slightly jerky power delivery, but it handles like a demon and spins up its inside wheel when powering through sharp corners inducing a very childish driving style that makes it ten time as much fun as driving a Golf R at legal speeds. Oh, and being at work it also means I don't have someone sat next to me tutting and telling me to slow down. No, just me, a lump of cheap tin and the open road with the only passenger intervention being the driving style monitor beeping at me and glowing red all the time. Bliss!
It would be even more blissful if all the other road users would bugger off to let me have some solo fun and that bloody driving monitor would shut up...
« Last Edit: 02 April 2016, 15:55 by Exonian »
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4166 on: 02 April 2016, 16:03 »
^ Reminds me of my old days driving a Transit van in the mid 90s while doing a Summer job that paid my way through 6th form college and uni. 2.5 Diesel, rear wheel drive and I used to slide it around roundabouts when it was wet as if I was playing "Ridge Racer"

Today I almost car jacked someone by accident. I popped to our local DIY store to pick up some double pencil edge moulding to act as the front face of a shelf I built into an alcove in the small bedroom today. I drove there in the missus' A1 and parked about 30 yards from the shop.On the way out I was in autopilot as I walked towards the Lapiz Blue 5 door R parlked just outside the shop. At the last second I realised something wasn't right when its Cadiz wheels caught my attention. There was someone sat in the passenger seat, and i'm sure that if it'd had Prets on like mine i'd have popped the boot to stick the moulding in before realising it wasn't my car. I quickly (and as causally as I could muster) turned 90 degrees and walked towards the Silver A1 i'd arrived in.  :grin:
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #4167 on: 02 April 2016, 16:12 »

....................................................................................

Today, after the anticlimax of the ClubSport pricing announced yesterday following the anticlimax of how ugly the thing is anyway, I took my R for a 4AM blast after a week of it just strutting to work and back at 30mph or less. Unfortunately that event also turned into an anticlimax as there were grazing deer sat by the side of the road for most of the journey so I thought I'd best be a bit sensible and keep the speed down.

So, what does one do in an R at 4AM when faced with a 40 mile cross country trip where the speed needs to be kept down? One decides that after 9 months now is the time to see what the ECO setting does.
And what are my findings you may ask? Not that anybody here really cares but my findings are that the ECO button makes the car crap to drive and the thing still didn't make 30mpg for the journey (computer figures, not measured).
Great. That was a waste of about six quid's worth of fuel and an hour of my life.

Yesterday, after a ridiculously busy week at work (and long days to boot) I took the works Caddy van out for an "essential" errand.
Safe to say I had more fun in that 76000 mile 14 plate base spec Caddy than I have had in my own car for ages. Power ain't everything guys.

Well, after 76,000 miles it's still solid and rattle free, the power is smooth and the thing feels like it's carved from stone when on the road which ain't bad for a van. I do like that van.
However I like another works van even more, and that van is a 2011 Vauxhall Combo with just 30k on the clock. It's cheap, full of nasty plastics and has a weird and slightly jerky power delivery, but it handles like a demon and spins up its inside wheel when powering through sharp corners inducing a very childish driving style that makes it ten time as much fun as driving a Golf R at legal speeds. Oh, and being at work it also means I don't have someone sat next to me tutting and telling me to slow down. No, just me, a lump of cheap tin and the open road with the only passenger intervention being the driving style monitor beeping at me and glowing red all the time. Bliss!
It would be even more blissful if all the other road users would bugger off to let me have some solo fun and that bloody driving monitor would shut up...
Great post as usual Mr Ex :smiley:
I have driven vans for years including my current Transit 280 2.2 common rail diesel 100bhp engine and a 6 speed gear box.
It has a huge roof rack laden with 5 ladders and a 650 litre water in the back. It also has 2 steel hose reels with 100m of hose pipe plus lots of other stuff.
It carries me and two passengers up the Irwell valley on the M60 at 85mph when traffic permits.
You can't beat a good van :smiley:
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP

Offline Mk7-GTD

• Here all the time
« Reply #4168 on: 02 April 2016, 16:32 »

I put over 3 ton of tiles in a VW Caddy and it was lower than any air ride car I have ever seen, don't think it was ever the same again.

True what you say about power not everything when it comes to fun. After getting burnt by an Abarth in my wife's GTi I decided to have a drive in one. Standard car is 180bhp but God was it fun, absolutely loved it.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4169 on: 02 April 2016, 16:44 »

Great post as usual Mr Ex :smiley:
I have driven vans for years including my current Transit 280 2.2 common rail diesel 100bhp engine and a 6 speed gear box.
It has a huge roof rack laden with 5 ladders and a 650 litre water in the back. It also has 2 steel hose reels with 100m of hose pipe plus lots of other stuff.
It carries me and two passengers up the Irwell valley on the M60 at 85mph when traffic permits.
You can't beat a good van :smiley:
Err, thanks!  :whistle:

There was an article on the BBC website (well, I was a bit bored at work and had exhausted the forums) from 1st Central insurance saying that white van drivers were actually amongst the "safest" and accountants were amongst the worst for car insurance claims.

Going back to your private plate: What does Kalimon mean then? I did google it (at work) but it didn't come up with any useful martial arts suggestions.

I put over 3 ton of tiles in a VW Caddy and it was lower than any air ride car I have ever seen, don't think it was ever the same again.

True what you say about power not everything when it comes to fun. After getting burnt by an Abarth in my wife's GTi I decided to have a drive in one. Standard car is 180bhp but God was it fun, absolutely loved it.

I'd love to run something like that or a JCW or maybe even a chipped Cooper SD as a fun car.
Trouble is, like most of us on here, every time it comes to short listing cars it comes back to a Golf GTI/D/R as the Golf is 'about the right size', just about affordable when taking into account decent resale, the cabin is a pleasant place to sit, it has nice styling touches and is a sort of happy medium between what you'd want as a fun car and need as a family car (plus image for those on here who wear suits - not too flashy and not too trashy).

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner