Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2785067 times)

Offline Greerso

• Not said much yet
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #4100 on: 29 March 2016, 00:35 »
And that's why we all hate car parks #gutted  :sick:

Wonders can be worked and I'm sure you'll get it sorted to your satisfaction, it's just a shame it happened in the first place.  I got a similar dent/chip just before I sold my last car but the dent man took the dent out and a cocktail stick sorted the paint out enough for me to sell the car - very annoying nonetheless 

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #4101 on: 29 March 2016, 00:43 »
Just be wary though Bec that a smart repair will probably want to paint a 6 by 6 inch section rather than just concentrate on the damage itself. That in turn might catch your eye more than filling it in with a cocktail stick!!
Make sure you ask the smart repairer plenty of questions.

I'm sure though you'll get it sorted and in a months time you'll wonder what all the stress was about  :rolleyes:
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4102 on: 29 March 2016, 08:36 »
Just be wary though Bec that a smart repair will probably want to paint a 6 by 6 inch section rather than just concentrate on the damage itself. That in turn might catch your eye more than filling it in with a cocktail stick!!
Make sure you ask the smart repairer plenty of questions.

I'm sure though you'll get it sorted and in a months time you'll wonder what all the stress was about  :rolleyes:

Yeah don't fancy having 6x6" area painted - that's a recipe for disaster.  Will see what KDS say.  You are right in a while it'll all be a distant memory, lol.  Is yours sorted now and swirl free Stevie?
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Eccie

• Here all the time
  • Keyless & Penniless
« Reply #4103 on: 29 March 2016, 09:53 »

Then I had to go our for a bit and it started raining, so it now looks like this again!.  :cry:

I have found over the 9 years of owning a white car & living down a dirt track, the best way to try and keep the car looking cleaner for longer is to give it a quick hose down when i get home - ideally before the dirt hasn't dried.

It has made a big difference - but my wife thinks I'm bonkers :whistle: hosing down the car in the rain - before I put it in the garage.

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #4104 on: 29 March 2016, 09:54 »
Yeah don't fancy having 6x6" area painted - that's a recipe for disaster.  Will see what KDS say.  You are right in a while it'll all be a distant memory, lol.  Is yours sorted now and swirl free Stevie?

Good luck.
This weekend all going well  :laugh:
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #4105 on: 29 March 2016, 14:15 »

Then I had to go our for a bit and it started raining, so it now looks like this again!.  :cry:

I have found over the 9 years of owning a white car & living down a dirt track, the best way to try and keep the car looking cleaner for longer is to give it a quick hose down when i get home - ideally before the dirt hasn't dried.

It has made a big difference - but my wife thinks I'm bonkers :whistle: hosing down the car in the rain - before I put it in the garage.

I installed an outside tap at the front of my house recently so I could do the exact same thing. It takes seconds to do and keeps the dust down.
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
« Reply #4106 on: 29 March 2016, 16:05 »
The Mk7 side crease is an attractive feature, but so vulnerable.

Opposite extreme, I guess, are those plastic panels on the side of that Citroen thingy. Not vulnerable, but soooooo unattractive! You'd rather have a dent, wouldn't you?  :sick:
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline Garhan

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4107 on: 29 March 2016, 16:36 »

I thought I was the only mad one,I can come home from work at 3am and hose the salt off before putting it in the garage.
Nice to see I'm in good company.

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #4108 on: 29 March 2016, 17:58 »
The Mk7 side crease is an attractive feature, but so vulnerable.

Opposite extreme, I guess, are those plastic panels on the side of that Citroen thingy. Not vulnerable, but soooooo unattractive! You'd rather have a dent, wouldn't you?  :sick:

Yeah, the sides of newer cars are much more vulnerable to door dings now and the crease in the MK7 Golf makes it even worse!

Think back to the MK5 Golf... it had plastic colour coded mouldings down the sides of the car, so this sort of damage was less likely to happen or certainly the consequences were much less severe! Worse case scenario, you'd have to repaint the door moulding which is a hell of a lot easier than repainting the door.

MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline Pinky1959

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4109 on: 29 March 2016, 18:28 »
My Grandfather many years ago used to always wash the car (Vauxhall Viva )and chamois ( I know they hadn't thought o micro cloths then ) it dry regardless of the time day or night and then had nearly a mile to walk home ......and it was always shiny .