Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2785038 times)

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #3820 on: 19 February 2016, 15:05 »
Black anodised sill strips would be my preference, a bit more subtle :smiley:
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #3821 on: 19 February 2016, 15:41 »
Stunning, beautiful weather too. Must get myself a trip booked up soon.  :smiley:

Get yourself up to Scotland. The scenery is far better  :grin:

A trip along the NC500 is on my list of things to do! A rather significant birthday coming up next year, it may well be then :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3822 on: 19 February 2016, 15:53 »
I'm not to sure now after looking at the pictures again,they are a bit misleading.

I'll find out when mine turn up and,I'll let you know.

Thanks, would appreciate that. :smiley: 

I'd be very surprised if they were anything other than Polished Silver, as that is the trademark Lockwood style.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3823 on: 19 February 2016, 15:58 »
Big stone flew up on the A1 and took a chunk out of the windscreen, right in driver's vision line.  Repairable.  Lucky it wasn't worse as it hit with a massive thwack.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3824 on: 19 February 2016, 17:09 »
Today I...

wait for it...

wait for it...

I actually got a spare hour to clean the car for the first time since Jesus was wandering about annoying Romans!

No pics as the spare hour ended up nearly two hours as the bloody thing was hanging and I was too lazy to move three thousand boxes to uncover my pressure washer so I did it all the hard way. By the time I finished it was peeing down so at least I didn't have to mess about drying it.

As ever with cleaning cars when you've not touched it for a few millennia there were a few hidden horrors - the car's derriere is lightly covered with tar spots which will need removing ASAP and the weirdest thing ever - there's a gob of chewing gum on the roof! It's pretty flat so must've either been a very small bit plopped on there by some moron or more likely dropped by a sh!tehawk as it buzzed over.
So i'm off to google the most inventive way of removing chewing gum from paint with minimal effort, zero paint damage and zero cost - i.e.. something I already have in the cupboard.
Yes I could post that up in the detailing forum but a) nobody would read it and chortle at my misfortune and b) detailers would just recommend some products that are purpose designed and therefore there would be no challenge involved!

:whistle:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Mk7-GTD

• Here all the time
« Reply #3825 on: 19 February 2016, 17:46 »
Big stone flew up on the A1 and took a chunk out of the windscreen, right in driver's vision line.  Repairable.  Lucky it wasn't worse as it hit with a massive thwack.

Lucky it didn't hit the paintwork.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3826 on: 19 February 2016, 18:10 »
Today I...

wait for it...

wait for it...

I actually got a spare hour to clean the car for the first time since Jesus was wandering about annoying Romans!

No pics as the spare hour ended up nearly two hours as the bloody thing was hanging and I was too lazy to move three thousand boxes to uncover my pressure washer so I did it all the hard way. By the time I finished it was peeing down so at least I didn't have to mess about drying it.

As ever with cleaning cars when you've not touched it for a few millennia there were a few hidden horrors - the car's derriere is lightly covered with tar spots which will need removing ASAP and the weirdest thing ever - there's a gob of chewing gum on the roof! It's pretty flat so must've either been a very small bit plopped on there by some moron or more likely dropped by a sh!tehawk as it buzzed over.
So i'm off to google the most inventive way of removing chewing gum from paint with minimal effort, zero paint damage and zero cost - i.e.. something I already have in the cupboard.
Yes I could post that up in the detailing forum but a) nobody would read it and chortle at my misfortune and b) detailers would just recommend some products that are purpose designed and therefore there would be no challenge involved!

:whistle:

Well that is an event of biblical proportions. :shocked: :cool:

You could try freezing the gum by placing an ice cube on top of it to harden it, then very gently prying it off the paintwork. I've also read that peanut butter (and no, I don't know if smooth or crunchy is best) works for chewing gum removal on a variety of surfaces. 

If you did post it your gum dilemma up in the detailing section I could guarantee that a) and b ) won't happen, but c) will. :laugh:  So on that note - tar and glue remover e.g. Tardis, ObliTARate, will bring it off with ease, as well as sorting our your other tar spots.
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3827 on: 19 February 2016, 18:13 »

Yes, I was relieved it hit the glass, otherwise it would've made a mess of the paintwork. Only thing that stopped it doing more damage to the windscreen was it hitting at a shallow angle. Lucky I guess.  I've been in a car when a rock shattered the windscreen at it wasn't a pleasant experience. 
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3828 on: 19 February 2016, 18:49 »
I left my R at home today and came back to find a parking picket attached to it.  :angry:

We live on a permit controlled street, and my permit was on full display, yet the ticket says that there was no permit displayed, so I take a closer look...It expired on 21st October 2015. This permit is specific to my car, it has my reg number on and I received it a few weeks after collecting my car on 28th May 2015. What sh!t-for brains council worker issues a permit with less than 5 months on it? They are supposed to last 2 years, the permit states that my permit was issued in October 2013 - It's no time travelling Delorean!

Needless to say I have fired an email off to the council to challenge it, on the basis that the permit should have lasted 2 years and I had no reason to expect it to have expired given how long I have had the car and the permit.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Mk7-GTD

• Here all the time
« Reply #3829 on: 19 February 2016, 19:14 »

Yes, I was relieved it hit the glass, otherwise it would've made a mess of the paintwork. Only thing that stopped it doing more damage to the windscreen was it hitting at a shallow angle. Lucky I guess.  I've been in a car when a rock shattered the windscreen at it wasn't a pleasant experience.

Same here although it was a piece of 3/2 about 3ft long that was flicked up by the car I was following. Smashed the windscreen so badly I had to hit the brakes hard and was nearly ran into by the car behind. Not something I want to happen again.

How good are the screen repairers, I have seen it on a video but you can never really be sure how good they are.