Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2785002 times)

Offline Mk7-GTD

• Here all the time
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #3650 on: 25 January 2016, 08:35 »
You haven't seen an R estate yet? Where we are moving to in a few months in Stratford Upon Avon there are 6 R's on the road and two of them are estates. Personally I much prefer the estate to the hatchback. I am biased though as I almost always prefer estates over their saloon/hatch models. For every GTi I see I see 3 or 4 R's, they are everywhere around here. I was at my dealers last week and they had 5 new ones waiting to go out. They are like the Focus ST of VW

You say a hot hatch should never be an estate. It isn't, it is a hot estate and saying it is ugly is a bit much although I'm sure you meant in your view. If I was getting an R I wouldn't get an estate but that is down to the estate only available with the DSG gearbox.

VW could have put LED lights on the rear of the estate though.

Haha!  Yes that's just my view on the R estate, who else's view would it be?  R's are common, thanks for reminding us again, as you GTI owner's seem to feel the need to on a daily basis, lol. :rolleyes:

I have a GTi? I didn't know, can you tell me where I parked it please because I obviously have forgotten that I have one. I wonder what colour it is? Please God tell me it isn't a DSG, my wife has a Mk6 GTi with DSG and I hate driving it.

The dealer I use said that they sell 4-5 R's for every GTi they sell so maybe it is just around the West Midlands that they sell so well.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3651 on: 25 January 2016, 09:07 »
I have a GTi? I didn't know, can you tell me where I parked it please because I obviously have forgotten that I have one. I wonder what colour it is? Please God tell me it isn't a DSG, my wife has a Mk6 GTi with DSG and I hate driving it.

The dealer I use said that they sell 4-5 R's for every GTi they sell so maybe it is just around the West Midlands that they sell so well.

I'm not clear what the point of your post is other than to make the follwing points:

You have a manual mk7 GTI - great.  Although you seem to have misplaced it, and can't remember what colour it is.
Your wife has a DSG mk6 GTI which you don't like driving - ok.  Hopefully she does like it as it's her car.
Mk7 R's are common and outsell the 7GTI in the Midlands and most likely everywhere else - not in dispute and not of any concern to  me.

I'm actually pleased that the R's prevelance has led to the GTI becoming the rarer car, and reinstated it's exclusivity to an extent.  I'm a huge fan the VW GTI and it's heritage, and anything that reinforces it's place in the hot hatch arena and history is a very good thing IMO.

The R being more common does not bother me in the slightest.  It may be a popular choice and there be lots around, but it is not common to me, it is a great car and I'm am thrilled every day I drive it.  I'm very glad I bought it.

You like your GTI; I like my R.  I don't like the R Estate.

Anything to add?
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Mk7-GTD

• Here all the time
« Reply #3652 on: 25 January 2016, 11:59 »

I'm not clear what the point of your post is other than to make the follwing points:

You have a manual mk7 GTI - great.  Although you seem to have misplaced it, and can't remember what colour it is.
Your wife has a DSG mk6 GTI which you don't like driving - ok.  Hopefully she does like it as it's her car.
Mk7 R's are common and outsell the 7GTI in the Midlands and most likely everywhere else - not in dispute and not of any concern to  me.

I'm actually pleased that the R's prevelance has led to the GTI becoming the rarer car, and reinstated it's exclusivity to an extent.  I'm a huge fan the VW GTI and it's heritage, and anything that reinforces it's place in the hot hatch arena and history is a very good thing IMO.

The R being more common does not bother me in the slightest.  It may be a popular choice and there be lots around, but it is not common to me, it is a great car and I'm am thrilled every day I drive it.  I'm very glad I bought it.

You like your GTI; I like my R.  I don't like the R Estate.

Anything to add?

The point of my post is that you seem to assume I have a Mk7 GTi which you confirmed in your post I have quoted here.

Now just to be clear because you seem to have a problem understanding it, I do not have a Mk7 Golf GTi or ever have had one. So please when you make your sweeping statements like the one you made earlier   [R's are common, thanks for reminding us again, as you GTI owner's seem to feel the need to on a daily basis, lol. :rolleyes: ]

I have ordered a MK7 GTD estate for the new reg and my wife may be going to order a Clubsport if we get the right spec here in the UK and if not then she is going to get an R

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3653 on: 25 January 2016, 12:24 »

The point of my post is that you seem to assume I have a Mk7 GTi which you confirmed in your post I have quoted here.

Now just to be clear because you seem to have a problem understanding it, I do not have a Mk7 Golf GTi or ever have had one. So please when you make your sweeping statements like the one you made earlier   [R's are common, thanks for reminding us again, as you GTI owner's seem to feel the need to on a daily basis, lol. :rolleyes: ]

I have ordered a MK7 GTD estate for the new reg and my wife may be going to order a Clubsport if we get the right spec here in the UK and if not then she is going to get an R

My apologies - I have incorrectly stated you have a GTI in my last post, missing that particular point of sarcasm in your previous posts.  Nice to see the motto of the forum is alive and well. - good on you.  :laugh: I also incorrectly inferred it in the post previous to that.   It doesn't make any difference to my 'sweeping statement' though that R owners are constantly reminded on here that it is a common car, and was a tongue in cheek comment which you seem incapable of recognising.     

You have a GTD hence your username.  I feel much better knowing that now, but it makes absolutely no difference to the fact that I do not like the R Estate. 

Why does it bother you so much? I'm a stranger on a forum who happens to have an opinion on a matter (the R Estate) you disagree strongly with, which is hardly surprising as it is your intention to get one. Difference of opinion - it happens, get over it.  Makes for a vibrant forum.  :cool:

Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #3654 on: 25 January 2016, 17:10 »
You haven't seen an R estate yet? Where we are moving to in a few months in Stratford Upon Avon there are 6 R's on the road and two of them are estates. Personally I much prefer the estate to the hatchback. I am biased though as I almost always prefer estates over their saloon/hatch models. For every GTi I see I see 3 or 4 R's, they are everywhere around here. I was at my dealers last week and they had 5 new ones waiting to go out. They are like the Focus ST of VW

You say a hot hatch should never be an estate. It isn't, it is a hot estate and saying it is ugly is a bit much although I'm sure you meant in your view. If I was getting an R I wouldn't get an estate but that is down to the estate only available with the DSG gearbox.

VW could have put LED lights on the rear of the estate though.

Haha!  Yes that's just my view on the R estate, who else's view would it be?  R's are common, thanks for reminding us again, as you GTI owner's seem to feel the need to on a daily basis, lol. :rolleyes:

No I haven't seen an R Estate in the flesh, but then there aren't many R hatches, or GTi's round my way either (I must live in the Bermuda Triangle for R's  :whistle:).  But the R Estate - whether not a hot hatch estate or a hot estate, it's proportionally wrong, it is the hatch with a box added on.  There's much better looking estates out there. I've yet to see a photo, taken at any angle, which makes the R estate look good. Why?  Because it doesn't.  IMO.

Get off the fence Rebecca, do you like the estate or not?  :laugh:

I completely agree with you, proportionally it looks wrong, but hey, different strokes. Even the interior load dimensions are a bit odd. I had a look at a normal Golf Estate recently and while the boot is deep (obviously), it is quite narrow. I think if you really need a big load lugging estate, the Golf is not the answer - you need a Passat sized wagon - IMO.
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline phope

• I live here
« Reply #3655 on: 25 January 2016, 17:18 »
A local dealer is selling their demo R estate for £30k - I'm not sure about the styling personally - maybe it's just the red

Golf Mk8 R order cancelled...awaiting company car instead
Tiguan 1.5 Elegance for the wife & dogs
Skoda 1.5 SEL cheap lease special

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #3656 on: 25 January 2016, 17:49 »

Oooooo, I like that. It's just a pity about the rear lights.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline AndyG

• Here all the time
« Reply #3657 on: 25 January 2016, 18:07 »
I don't get the estate either.Ok in black if your a funeral director.Much prefer that red golf in the third picture peeking behind that Passat.
Golf 7R,DSG,5 door White,leather,rear camera.

Offline Mk7-GTD

• Here all the time
« Reply #3658 on: 25 January 2016, 18:10 »

My apologies - I have incorrectly stated you have a GTI in my last post, missing that particular point of sarcasm in your previous posts.  Nice to see the motto of the forum is alive and well. - good on you.  :laugh: I also incorrectly inferred it in the post previous to that.   It doesn't make any difference to my 'sweeping statement' though that R owners are constantly reminded on here that it is a common car, and was a tongue in cheek comment which you seem incapable of recognising.     

You have a GTD hence your username.  I feel much better knowing that now, but it makes absolutely no difference to the fact that I do not like the R Estate. 

Why does it bother you so much? I'm a stranger on a forum who happens to have an opinion on a matter (the R Estate) you disagree strongly with, which is hardly surprising as it is your intention to get one. Difference of opinion - it happens, get over it.  Makes for a vibrant forum.  :cool:

Okay maybe it is a problem with English you have? Where did you get the impression that I have a GTD or that I'm getting an R estate.

Can I suggest you maybe read posts twice(or more) to help you get what I said.

For what it's worth what bothers me is people assuming(wrongly) that they know what I drive!

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3659 on: 25 January 2016, 18:27 »
My sincerest apologies. I did completely misread your post. Must be having a bad day. Maybe a trip to the opticians is in order.

I hope you enjoy your Mk7 GTD Estate when you get it and your wife whatever she ultimately gets, if indeed it turns out to be a Clubsport or R.

Are you now satisfied I am correctly informed of what you drive?  I hope this makes you feel better.
« Last Edit: 25 January 2016, 18:29 by Booth11 »
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual