Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2785082 times)

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #3540 on: 10 January 2016, 21:25 »
Easily the biggest worry when changing tyres is the risk of them getting scratched.
I took my A3 in to a place I've  used for years and expressly asked them to be careful.
Two minutes later the young lad came out nearly crying, holding my ruined alloy.
Never went there again but they fixed the wheel.

I actually would make that a place I did go to again. He was honest enough to come out and tell you and that goes a long way in my book.

I actually had a Vauxhall main dealer (who have since lost the franchise) who took chunks out of one of my 19" Astra VXR alloys and they just tried to cover it up. One conversation later (which included the words "I'd like to speak to the dealership principal") later and 1 new alloy on the car.
2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3541 on: 10 January 2016, 21:33 »
when I take it to Costco tomorrow for a new set of tyres (19" Michelin PSS).

Hallelujah, you're getting new tyres!!!
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #3542 on: 10 January 2016, 22:13 »
Easily the biggest worry when changing tyres is the risk of them getting scratched.
I took my A3 in to a place I've  used for years and expressly asked them to be careful.
Two minutes later the young lad came out nearly crying, holding my ruined alloy.
Never went there again but they fixed the wheel.

I actually would make that a place I did go to again. He was honest enough to come out and tell you and that goes a long way in my book.

I actually had a Vauxhall main dealer (who have since lost the franchise) who took chunks out of one of my 19" Astra VXR alloys and they just tried to cover it up. One conversation later (which included the words "I'd like to speak to the dealership principal") later and 1 new alloy on the car.
Good point. Might give them a second chance.
After the incident with my alloy, the owner stumped up for a new protective rubber block on his machine. It was badly worn and it was this that wrecked my wheel.
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3543 on: 10 January 2016, 22:24 »

Yes, I almost saw something else I wanted to spend the money on today, but safety and road-holding over frivolities! Straight after work i'll be getting the car some new shoes. I wonder how dangerous Costco will think the car is on 4 new tyres if they insist that new tyres on the front = death trap when you're only buying 2.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #3544 on: 10 January 2016, 23:06 »
Today (just finished in fact) I have given the car a very thorough wash so that I can demonstrate that the car's wheels have not a mark on them when I take it to Costco tomorrow for a new set of tyres (19" Michelin PSS). Last time I used them for tyres they appraised the wheel condition before they removed them so they knew if they did any damage or if it was already there.

I know all branches and fitters are different but I was impressed with our local Costco (Glasgow). Like you I washed the car the day before and gave the wheels another wipe just before taking the car in. Not a mark on them. I'd definitely use them again.

What is the deal this time? I've got £30 cashback to spend in Costco and was going to get their low entry jack.
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3545 on: 11 January 2016, 00:11 »

Yes, I almost saw something else I wanted to spend the money on today, but safety and road-holding over frivolities! Straight after work i'll be getting the car some new shoes. I wonder how dangerous Costco will think the car is on 4 new tyres if they insist that new tyres on the front = death trap when you're only buying 2.

Joking and sarcasm aside, I hope your new tyres are fitted with the utmost care, and your Prets remain unscathed.  It will be very interesting to hear your thoughts on the PSS, especially compared to the Tombstones.  :smiley:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3546 on: 11 January 2016, 07:57 »
Today (just finished in fact) I have given the car a very thorough wash so that I can demonstrate that the car's wheels have not a mark on them when I take it to Costco tomorrow for a new set of tyres (19" Michelin PSS). Last time I used them for tyres they appraised the wheel condition before they removed them so they knew if they did any damage or if it was already there.

I know all branches and fitters are different but I was impressed with our local Costco (Glasgow). Like you I washed the car the day before and gave the wheels another wipe just before taking the car in. Not a mark on them. I'd definitely use them again.

What is the deal this time? I've got £30 cashback to spend in Costco and was going to get their low entry jack.

Current offer is £10/25 on 2/4 tyres up to 16", £20/50 for 17"/18" and £30/75 on 19"+.

Was told they can order in 19" PS3 but they"re £22 a tyre dearer than PSS.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3547 on: 11 January 2016, 08:01 »

Joking and sarcasm aside, I hope your new tyres are fitted with the utmost care, and your Prets remain unscathed.  It will be very interesting to hear your thoughts on the PSS, especially compared to the Tombstones.  :smiley:

I'm sure that even immediately after fitting and not scrubbed in, their grip wet and dry will be markedly better. Drove like a nun this morning with the dip in temps and still had to test the brakes when a Transit entered the outside lane 20 yards in front of me doing about half the speed I was.  :rolleyes:

Offline Daz2411

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3548 on: 11 January 2016, 10:54 »
Has anybody ever used Supaguard 100 plus before and is it easy to apply?
2016 Mk7 Gti PP Manual 5dr Carbon Grey

Offline Diehammer

• Here all the time
« Reply #3549 on: 11 January 2016, 16:36 »
Bought some G1 Techniq l1 smart fabric. Will need to wait until the weekend to apply it though.
Golf GTD MK7 5 door Manual, Carbon Grey, Keyless Entry, Rear View Camera.

Ordered 26/02/15  Build Week Confirmed 24/04/15 (BW21) Stage 5a 19/05/15 Stage 5b 21/05/15 Stage 5c 29/05/15 Stage 6 02/06/15 Stage 7 04/06/15 Pick Up 06/06/15