Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2785048 times)

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #3310 on: 15 November 2015, 21:32 »
That is one stunning looking car!
The Pretoria's are so much nicer looking than the Cadiz.

Cheers mate.  :smiley:

Love the Prets. Not a fan of the Cadiz.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3311 on: 15 November 2015, 21:35 »
Shiny!
Looking good Madamoiselle Boothette, the car looks like it's had a nice bath too.
The polished ones set of perfectly against the black paint.
I've got black plastic ones on mine which contrast with the white paint however they're a lot thicker than the metal ones and some of the white paint rubs off against the plastic trim so in retrospect the polished ones are better full stop!

Thanks Mr Ex.  I thought about using black ones but just didn't think they would look quite right.  These are the same kind I used on the Mk6 GTI.  The quality and finish is superb, I think the silver looks nice and clean and I wouldn't want them any thicker.  But best of all they do the job and protect from all those pesky bits of gravel from the driveway.  Next time - block paving!!!

And yes!  The R did have a nice bath
Wow.
Can't add any more words than that!
Super clean! Looks amazing.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3312 on: 15 November 2015, 21:48 »
Wow.

Ta Monsieur Ex. You know it will be dirty again by noon tomorrow. :laugh:

Are you still battling the building dust?  Limestone Grey would've been the perfect colour for hiding that I reckon, or Reflex Silver.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Cossieian

• Here all the time
« Reply #3313 on: 15 November 2015, 21:59 »
It's been chucking it down here for the past two weekends so my car is in desperate need of a wash!

Exactly the same where I live Kyle, I was very close to going out in the rain today just to wash mine but in the end I decided against it. There would of been a time no weather would of stopped me :huh:
Current: MK7 Golf R (Limestone Grey) DSG, 19 Prets, Winter Pack, Rear Camera, High Beam Assist, Apple Connect, Gloss Black Mirrors
Gone: MK7 Golf R (Tornado Red) DSG, Winter Pack, Keyless, Gloss Black Mirrors
Gone: MK7 Golf GTD (Pure White)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3314 on: 15 November 2015, 23:22 »
Wow.

Ta Monsieur Ex. You know it will be dirty again by noon tomorrow. :laugh:

Are you still battling the building dust?  Limestone Grey would've been the perfect colour for hiding that I reckon, or Reflex Silver.

Yes, another couple of years of that yet at least. Once the houses are finished they're starting on a school and commercial property.  :cry:

If I'd been putting in a proper order then silver was a front runner just for ease of maintenance.

You really should see my car right now.
Plastered in mud from country roads then to top it all I had to park under a pine tree the other evening. It was the safest looking space and I figured pine trees overnight won't shed too much tree stuff.
Wrong!
I didn't think birds sat in prickly bendy pine trees and I didn't think they sat up all evening crapping during rain storms but I was proved wrong on both counts!
Even wifey stood in open mouthed terror at the state of the car and she rarely even notices when the car is filthy. 
It's only done about 100 miles since its last wash and you'd think it was 10,000
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3315 on: 16 November 2015, 19:33 »

Yes, another couple of years of that yet at least. Once the houses are finished they're starting on a school and commercial property.  :cry:

If I'd been putting in a proper order then silver was a front runner just for ease of maintenance.

Plastered in mud from country roads then to top it all I had to park under a pine tree the other evening. It was the safest looking space and I figured pine trees overnight won't shed too much tree stuff.
Wrong!
I didn't think birds sat in prickly bendy pine trees and I didn't think they sat up all evening crapping during rain storms but I was proved wrong on both counts!
Even wifey stood in open mouthed terror at the state of the car and she rarely even notices when the car is filthy. 
It's only done about 100 miles since its last wash and you'd think it was 10,000

2 more years, crikey!

You have y utmost sympathy about the tree thing. I had no choice to park under a tree a while back (in the Mk6) and only parked for half hour but in that time, seemingly every bird in the vicinity had used my car for target practice.  I drove home and washed it in the dark, whilst Mr B stood there shaking his head in the doorway, lol.
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3316 on: 17 November 2015, 05:26 »

Wrong!

2 more years, crikey!

You have y utmost sympathy about the tree thing. I had no choice to park under a tree a while back (in the Mk6) and only parked for half hour but in that time, seemingly every bird in the vicinity had used my car for target practice.  I drove home and washed it in the dark, whilst Mr B stood there shaking his head in the doorway, lol.
I'd have been the same normally but I've just not had chance. Even if it was raining is normally have attempted to get the poop washed off ASAP.

I will try and get a pic or two of the car to see how many detailers I can reduce to tears! Or would they just view it as a challenge?
We really need to get the filthy car winter thread back up and running...
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #3317 on: 17 November 2015, 14:23 »
Nearly had a heart attack this morning when I saw the tailgate screen. On the drivers side it had an area of about 3/4 of it's height and about 2-2½ inches wide of.....well I don't know what of. I tell you what it looked liked and what I thought it was - melted plastic or glass. It was rock hard and looked like the glass itself had melted somehow (you know that sort of black crystallised bubbling you get if you apply a really high heat to glass). Nearly sh1t myself.

Don't know what the hell it was, but I applied neat Surfex HD to it on a Microfiber and after quite a bit o liquid and some rubbing it started coming off. Eventually it all came off leaving the glass underneath completely unmarked. Still don't know what it was but at least it's gone now.

The rear screen is now the cleanest part of the car with the rest of it absolutely minging at the moment !

2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3318 on: 17 November 2015, 17:19 »
I will try and get a pic or two of the car to see how many detailers I can reduce to tears! Or would they just view it as a challenge?
We really need to get the filthy car winter thread back up and running...

It'd be a challenge.

Yes I think you should be the one to restart the filfth thread, I'd do it myself but would have to throw a bucket of mud over the car first.  :laugh:
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3319 on: 17 November 2015, 17:28 »
Nearly had a heart attack this morning when I saw the tailgate screen. On the drivers side it had an area of about 3/4 of it's height and about 2-2½ inches wide of.....well I don't know what of. I tell you what it looked liked and what I thought it was - melted plastic or glass. It was rock hard and looked like the glass itself had melted somehow (you know that sort of black crystallised bubbling you get if you apply a really high heat to glass). Nearly sh1t myself.

Don't know what the hell it was, but I applied neat Surfex HD to it on a Microfiber and after quite a bit o liquid and some rubbing it started coming off. Eventually it all came off leaving the glass underneath completely unmarked. Still don't know what it was but at least it's gone now.

The rear screen is now the cleanest part of the car with the rest of it absolutely minging at the moment !

Weird!  Mischief makers perhaps? 

Where I come from ('oop north - West Yorkshire) we always had 'mischief night' which was sometime around bonfire night. Basically it was one night where kids were allowed to rampage the local streets and play pranks on anyone and everyone.  Now it would be classified as anti-social behaviour and criminal damage but it was a simpler time then.  :wink: 

One of our favourite pranks was to spread treacle all over car windscreens and then plaster it with dead leaves.  We got caught once and had to clean it all off, whilst the irate owner stood over us menacingly. Took bloody hours!  That was the last time I ever played that particular joke.  If any kids did that to my car now, I'd kill 'em.  :grin: 
« Last Edit: 17 November 2015, 17:30 by Booth11 »
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual