Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2785016 times)

Offline remlapeel

• I live here
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #2600 on: 24 July 2015, 08:27 »
I parked my R in a public car park today.....in worried
2015 MK7 Golf R 3 door, DSG, lapiz blue, 19" wheels, winter pack, keyless entry, dynaudio and high beam assist.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2601 on: 24 July 2015, 08:35 »

You should be!  Hope you chose some dim and distant tree free corner.

My Mk6 is in the dealer as I type (MOT).... I'm worried  :grin:

(not about the test but the fact it's in the dealers hands).
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #2602 on: 24 July 2015, 08:50 »
Maybe it's time for VW to move the ACC sensor in the Golf from low down in the grill to behind the VW badge at the front like it is on the new Passat and the upcoming new Touran ? Not only would this look better (no cut out in the lower grill), but it would surely protect the sensor better making it less likely to be moved out of alignment and give it a better view of what's in front by being higher up ?

Maybe this is a change for the MK8 ?

I'd say this is a definite - no maybe about it!

It's funny, on the rear end, they have the reverse camera neatly packaged behind the badge/boot release but up front they have an ugly cut out to accommodate this sensor!
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline JB GTI

• I live here
« Reply #2603 on: 24 July 2015, 09:20 »

Lol  :grin: service wash with a pair of old pants and fairy liquid
Now Gone: 3dr GTI Carbon Grey Performance Pack Dynaudio
Discover Nav Park Assist Rear Camera
Picked Up: 15th March 2014

Now Gone 3dr Golf R Lapiz Blue, DSG, Dynaudio, 19" Pretoria's, Discover Nav, Keyless, Rear View Camera
Picked Up: 1st March 2015

Now Gone Too: Mk7.5 Golf GTi Performance 5dr Indium Grey DSG Dynaudio 19” Brescia Alloys Vienna Leather Keyless Entry/Start Panoramic Roof 90% Tints Park Assist Rear View Camera Voice Activation Dynamic Lane Assist/DLA

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2604 on: 24 July 2015, 09:32 »

Lol!  Fortunately they don't offer a wash with MOT's, but in any case my 'DO NOT WASH MY CAR' reputation precedes me and they know not to do it on pain of death!  :grin:

Luckily my car is being tested on the other side of the waiting area viewing glass so I'm watching the tech's every move, and he knows it.  He keeps giving me sly sideways glances  :laugh:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline remlapeel

• I live here
« Reply #2605 on: 24 July 2015, 11:09 »

Lol!  Fortunately they don't offer a wash with MOT's, but in any case my 'DO NOT WASH MY CAR' reputation precedes me and they know not to do it on pain of death!  :grin:

Luckily my car is being tested on the other side of the waiting area viewing glass so I'm watching the tech's every move, and he knows it.  He keeps giving me sly sideways glances  :laugh:

I have parked at the far end of the car park away from everybody. I will inspect it when I return. I need to get a camera for it.

With regards to being in the hands of a VW tech, I make it very clear no one is to wash my car under pain of death. I like nice paint not a swirled mess
2015 MK7 Golf R 3 door, DSG, lapiz blue, 19" wheels, winter pack, keyless entry, dynaudio and high beam assist.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2606 on: 24 July 2015, 11:28 »

I have parked at the far end of the car park away from everybody. I will inspect it when I return. I need to get a camera for it.

With regards to being in the hands of a VW tech, I make it very clear no one is to wash my car under pain of death. I like nice paint not a swirled mess

You and me both. 

You know someone will have parked up right next to you, real close, even though the rest of the car park may be empty  :grin:
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline wigit

• I live here
« Reply #2607 on: 24 July 2015, 11:41 »
Sprinted it yesterday at Curborough on the Sport Cup 2s, posted a pb by 1.4 seconds and now class leader by 1.3s, so brakes and tyres have made 2.7s difference from stock brakes and supersports

Car was absolutely epic due to the confidence the Cup 2s gave in terms of turn in and grip

To put this into perspective I would be second in the Supercar Class 1.7s behind a GTR but ahead 0.7s of a closest 991 GT3 and mixing it with the Exiges in the dry

Not bad for a car which I have not even started on handling mods, in essence a car with springs, remap and some better stoppers and on road legal tyres

There is a lot of love for the R given i refer to it as the family hatchback

Take reviews with a pinch of salt on cars around tracks, GTIs and Rs are immense when shod in equal rubber

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2608 on: 24 July 2015, 14:53 »
Maybe your gtd was over sensitive?

That wouldn't explain how neither my GTD nor yours ever saw the warning about a restricted view of the sensor coming northbound through the Tyne Tunnel (but not Southbound). Definitely not working right.

Played around with the cruise settings. Set up a speed on the shortest gap at a speed far higher than the car in front is going. The R gets very close and maintains a gap. Increase the gap with the [/|\] button on the steering wheel and on each increment the R backs off a bit. So the CC bit of it seemingly works when I tried it. But <car>!<car> warnings are few and far between. Something big directly ahead on in the inside lane will trigger the <car>!<car> warning, a normal sized car won't unless i'm 6' off their bumper doing 70mph.

Sometimes the <car>!<car> warning works at a given gap, and sometimes it just goes away when you've not got any further from the car in front, or even when you;ve got a bit closer. It does seem as though my car's radar is working intermittently and perhaps the alert only comes on when it has had a fair few seconds without a response.

A large builders van snuck in a gap ahead of me literally 10 feet off my front bumper and caused a red alert when the car was fully in ahead of me and only after he'd been fully straight ahead a good 2 seconds,  about 1/3 of the distance the GTD would've triggered at.

I did wonder if the R had shorter alert distances as it has slightly beefier brakes than the standard GTI and GTI, but 1/3 of the distance?
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #2609 on: 24 July 2015, 15:15 »
The tailgating warning light is not just a distance thing though is it?

The minimum gap is determined by speed (presumably because of stopping distance), so maybe with bigger brakes the gap is smaller?

There's some other logic in there as well I think, but quite what you'd probably need to read some Bosche doccos to find...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC