Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2785025 times)

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #2580 on: 22 July 2015, 21:40 »
You must be very popular with VW dealerships  :grin: :grin:

On a £32k RRP car, you expect everything to be working or for them to get it working without being fobbed off. My MK7 Golf experiences have been a PITA - an epic wait for both the GTD and the R, sh!tty Bridgestones on both, horrific tramping on the GTD, and now an ACC fault that no-one wants to fix.

I will have the last laugh, or my money back!  :wink:
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2581 on: 22 July 2015, 21:47 »
We will have to wait and see. If they don't do anything or they say they did and the fault is still there then i'll have to push for ACC sensor replacement. If they refuse then i'll have to start talking car rejection.

Sorry to hear about your woes.

The fault can be fixed. Reject the car? That's a bit drastic, don't you think for a minor fixable fault? It's not as if the car is totally not drivable. Very much doubt VW will play ball.

You should have got a BMW!
RED TORNADO 7R, 5 DR, DSG, DCC, DNS, DYNAUDIO, KI, WP, HBA, LN, SP

Offline CraigW

• I live here
« Reply #2582 on: 22 July 2015, 21:55 »
You must be very popular with VW dealerships  :grin: :grin:

On a £32k RRP car, you expect everything to be working or for them to get it working without being fobbed off. My MK7 Golf experiences have been a PITA - an epic wait for both the GTD and the R, sh!tty Bridgestones on both, horrific tramping on the GTD, and now an ACC fault that no-one wants to fix.

I will have the last laugh, or my money back!  :wink:

Although it might be an R and have a £32k price tag, at the end of the day it's just a golf which is a mass produced vehicle. Although we would like to believe that they take more care of our cars because they are at the top end of the range, the truth is that they won't do anything different from a bog standard golf. The quality control checks will be exactly the same. It will be the same for BMW, Audi etc.

Real care probably only comes into play when you start to pay obscene money for a car

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2583 on: 22 July 2015, 22:06 »
We will have to wait and see. If they don't do anything or they say they did and the fault is still there then i'll have to push for ACC sensor replacement. If they refuse then i'll have to start talking car rejection.

Sorry to hear about your woes.

The fault can be fixed. Reject the car? That's a bit drastic, don't you think for a minor fixable fault? It's not as if the car is totally not drivable. Very much doubt VW will play ball.

You should have got a BMW!

We're well away from rejection, but if the car doesn't get fixed over a couple of visits I will mention it as a possibility to get them to take action.

Tomorrow, if they perform wheel alignment and find everything spot-on, then perform the ACC recalibration and don't have to deviate much for it to be seemingly perfect, and the system's sensitivity still seems off and the fault recurs then i'll be pushing for ACC system replacement. If all that happens and they refuse replacement, then i'll start talking rejection.

Just don't see why it should be so difficult for them to act upon the read-outs of the car's own sensors. If the sensor was giving a false fail signal then it needs replacing, but given the ACCs lack of sensitivity and for it to be willing to tailgate without caution, it seems to me that the system is defective (would explain the failure alert and the lack of sensitivity) or out of calibration (would likely only affect the sensitivity and not in itself cause a fault log).

If the ACC unit is as cheap as I read somewhere, and the calibration/wheel alignment dwarfs it's cost, it seems daft not to replace the unit and then calibrate/align. But then again VW and common sense do not always go hand in hand. When I got my MK5 GT Sport TDI170, it was in for frequent regenning and they replaced the cylinder head to no avail. A week later a software update cured the issue!
« Last Edit: 22 July 2015, 22:08 by monkeyhanger »

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2584 on: 22 July 2015, 22:11 »
It is really stressful and annoying when a car you expect so much from is a bit kaput. I totally sympathise.

I have at long last accepted that my car is just a mass produced ordinary Golf with a big engine. Nothing more, nothing less. I will also say quite categorically our three BMWs have been less problematic, in fact pretty near perfect, in comparison to the Golf which is just a fast shopping trolley.

I am sure it will get fixed but after much ado unfortunately.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2585 on: 22 July 2015, 22:15 »

I am sure it will get fixed but after much ado unfortunately.

It's the ado that boils my piss!  :angry:  :grin:

Plug the car in, pay attention to the faults it is throwing up and determine if the reporting sensor is faulty (unlikely in this case, given the car's lack of ability to maintain a safe distance in CC mode) or the unit the sensor is reporting as faulty is faulty and get on with fixing it without having me drop the car of 4 or 5 times to resolve.....and provide me with a courtesy car that doesn't stink like an ashtray and has a respectable number of horses to get up a steep hill motorway at over 50mph without having to scream 3rd (120ps would be plenty - i'm not asking them to maintain a fleet of R courtesy cars).
« Last Edit: 22 July 2015, 22:18 by monkeyhanger »

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2586 on: 22 July 2015, 22:26 »
without having me drop the car of 4 or 5 times to resolve

That's the VW way. Lazy sods, worse than useless, technically incompetent.

I have come to the sad conclusion my next car will probably not be a VW and a Golf in particular, much though I like the basic design and how it drives. Perhaps we are expecting too much from a make which sadly lacks QC with a rather lacklustre UK dealer network.
« Last Edit: 22 July 2015, 22:31 by am1w »

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2587 on: 22 July 2015, 22:45 »
Sorry to hear of problems with your R monkeyhanger.  Have you been out in the car with the VW tech to the locations where the ACC problems are most evident? 

It's quite worrying to hear of all these issues, faulty tech, flimsy build, inadequate tyres and poor dealership response.  And all that off the back of a ridiculously long wait and a not insignificant amount of money handed over.  It is just a Golf but it's still £30k+ so one should expect the car to be fit for purpose.

Maybe I should pull the plug on mine before it's too late  :undecided:  :laugh:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #2588 on: 22 July 2015, 22:53 »
You do know that for any warranty work they have to upload the diagnostics to VW who look at them and then tell them what work they will authorise don't you?

They aren't allowed to do any warranty work without absolute direction from VW - either I believe an automated system or a VW technician has to spell out exactly what they are allowed to do and how to do it.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2589 on: 22 July 2015, 22:56 »
You do know that for any warranty work they have to upload the diagnostics to VW who look at them and then tell them what work they will authorise don't you?

They aren't allowed to do any warranty work without absolute direction from VW - either I believe an automated system or a VW technician has to spell out exactly what they are allowed to do and how to do it.

It is like getting blood out of stone!