Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2785045 times)

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #2550 on: 17 July 2015, 21:51 »
Got back to car from asda to find a nice shiny screw in my week old tyres. To say I was fuming was an understatement considering I'm going away tomorrow in the car on holiday. Sprayed some water on it when I got home and no air bubbles woohoo. Gently prised it out and still no air bubbles so quite a result.

I've found a screwhead in my tyres before, thought "sh!te! That tyre's f**ked", then used some pliers to unscrew it and found it was only about 6mm long in the shaft, all of it penetrating a tread block.

On another note, been studying my new Blackvue set and tempted to have a go at placement of the front and rear camera tomorrow, taking note of where i'm going to hide the front/back cabling, leaving the Magic power box until next week as I only ordered one of those short leads with the auto fuse connectors on  the end and you need 2 (just ordered the second one).
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline wigit

• I live here
« Reply #2551 on: 17 July 2015, 21:53 »
I suspect that won't be last of them.

There are a set of Revo 19s sat at Revo HQ to pick up

I have four Dmack tyres that will be looking for a new home

I have a set of winter steelies for the Polo

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2552 on: 17 July 2015, 21:55 »
I suspect that won't be last of them.

There are a set of Revo 19s sat at Revo HQ to pick up

I have four Dmack tyres that will be looking for a new home

I have a set of winter steelies for the Polo

Haha, I knew it!  All in all a very nice collection.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline CraigW

• I live here
« Reply #2553 on: 18 July 2015, 10:18 »
Took it up to St Andrews yesterday and on a 160 mile round trip it performed beautifully. Best drive I have probably had in it and averaged 38.8mpg which I thought was pretty decent

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2554 on: 18 July 2015, 14:28 »
I fitted my Blackvue 650 dual camera system today. It is still running off the cigar lighter as I await another fuse blade holder wire for the magic box - a job for next weekend.

It's pretty much a perfect fit, all the wiring from front to back camera tucked away nicely around headlining rubber trims etc, only one cock-up - I managed to break a clip holding one of the rubber flexible trunking pieces tight to the boot lid. I will have to get a new one (if it's not silly money) or silicone that end to the boot lid itself. For now, although water ingress is unlikely (would be a different story if it was the end going into the main body, as rain runs down there), I have put plenty of electrical tape around it:-

The rear camera is nigh-on invisible from the outside due to the glass tinting, see below for inside and outside views of the rear camera:-

Front camera (ignore the wire trailing down, that is going to the cigar lighter socket right now, but it will be going up into the roof lining with the front/back camera lead):-

Side view (front/back camera lead held by sticky clips that come with the camera):-

I could avoid seeing most of that lead if it was tucked behind most of the capping in the pic below and the end cap was notched to accomodate the thickness of the lead coming out to its socket. If you can buy that end cap separately then it should cost coppers - I can see the windscreen replacement companies needing these caps from time to time.

You wouldn't see the lead to the left of the blue arrow, the lead would pop out on the rim of the end cap where the red arrow is.

Hardest part was getting the end cap off after I stick the camera mounting so close to it leaving almost no wriggle room. About 1.5 hour's work so far, including setting up the wifi connection on my laptop to check where the cameras were pointing and look at the footage, I expect another hour max for the magic power box.

Right, i'm off down to Hartlepool for an afternoon and night on the lash for my cousin's 50th!

Offline mike.

• I live here
« Reply #2555 on: 18 July 2015, 14:44 »
Just been looking at THIS camera system.

Nice small cameras and seems to get good reviews.
« Last Edit: 18 July 2015, 15:08 by mike. »
Mk6 GTI 3dr | DSG | Tornado Red | 18" Monza 2 | LED Xenons | RNS510 | Bluetooth | Smoked LED tails | Cruise | Reversing Camera | TPMS | - now sold :(

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2556 on: 18 July 2015, 14:53 »
Nice going MH.
Must get round to getting a set of cameras myself.

Couldn't you have temp plugged the rear one into the boot 12v socket to keep cables out of sight then plumbed in the front one with the fuse box plug you had until the extra one arrives or does the boot camera wiring make that not possible?

Shame about the damaged trim but there is always a bit of a casualty somewhere along the line when taking a car apart for the first time.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2557 on: 18 July 2015, 14:57 »
Just been looking at THIS camera system.

Nice small cameras and seems to get good reviews.

Just about ready to head off and saw your post - buy it from Amazon.fr. It's about £280-290 from most official UK places with a 16Gb card, add in another £30 for a Magic power box. It's 319 Euros + delivery with a 64Gb card on Amazon.fr as the continent pay almost the same prices in Euros as we do in pounds, ended up being £267 all in including a Magic power box (which was 35 Euros).

Just applied black electrical tape to the "Pittasoft" logo and other print on the camera units, taking care not to cover the vent holes, makes it a lot stealthier.
« Last Edit: 18 July 2015, 15:04 by monkeyhanger »

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2558 on: 18 July 2015, 15:01 »
Nice going MH.
Must get round to getting a set of cameras myself.

Couldn't you have temp plugged the rear one into the boot 12v socket to keep cables out of sight then plumbed in the front one with the fuse box plug you had until the extra one arrives or does the boot camera wiring make that not possible?

Shame about the damaged trim but there is always a bit of a casualty somewhere along the line when taking a car apart for the first time.

Exonian: Can't do it that way - the rear camera gets its power from the front/rear link lead, then the front gets power from the cigar lighter lead (which will plug into the magic power box and then to a couple of fuse locations). Front has link and power socket, rear has link socket only.

Lesson learnt on the broken clip for when I get another kit bought for the wife's forthcoming A1.
« Last Edit: 18 July 2015, 15:05 by monkeyhanger »

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2559 on: 18 July 2015, 15:07 »
Ahh, gotcha.
Knew there'd be a reason why you did it the way you did!
:afro:

Enjoy your beers, spare a thought to those of us stuck home with nagging wives!  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner