Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2785037 times)

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #2310 on: 02 June 2015, 08:18 »
Matt, keep the comparisons coming. They are very informative.
Hopefully you'll do an in-depth going from a GTD to an R and any differences as used as a daily driver.
Cheers.
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline wigit

• I live here
« Reply #2311 on: 02 June 2015, 22:14 »
Got the R to oversteer a little to much today and went off roading for a while

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2312 on: 03 June 2015, 05:52 »
Matt, keep the comparisons coming. They are very informative.
Hopefully you'll do an in-depth going from a GTD to an R and any differences as used as a daily driver.
Cheers.

You are so tempted!  :evil:
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2313 on: 03 June 2015, 07:44 »
On the commute this morning I really noticed how much smoother the manual box is on my R than it was on the GTD when changing gears and slotting the stick in.

Trying hard to describe the old feeling here, it was as though you were moving the gearstick between slightly ridge-edged slots, you could just about feel when you changed gear. Maybe it was just set up ever so slightly wrong on my GTD, but I accepted it as normal as i'd never had any trouble in engaging certain gears except on a cold start in the middle of Winter (2nd gear).
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2314 on: 03 June 2015, 15:21 »
On the commute this morning I really noticed how much smoother the manual box is on my R than it was on the GTD when changing gears and slotting the stick in.

Trying hard to describe the old feeling here, it was as though you were moving the gearstick between slightly ridge-edged slots, you could just about feel when you changed gear. Maybe it was just set up ever so slightly wrong on my GTD, but I accepted it as normal as i'd never had any trouble in engaging certain gears except on a cold start in the middle of Winter (2nd gear).
I've noticed a few R owners saying their manual boxes are a bit notchy so it must vary from car to car.
But my GTI seems a bit like you describe which is probably just a slight tweak of the cables needed.
I think you tend to get that sort of thing in high torque applications eventually as I had a previous TDI remapped and changed gear one day rather quickly when hoofing it away from the lights and the linkage fought back (I must have fractionally mis-timed it), and I ended up with a horrific crunch as the gearbox flatly refused my request and a sloppy change thereafter until I booked it in to have the cables adjusted again.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline phope

• I live here
« Reply #2315 on: 03 June 2015, 22:57 »
Detarred the entire car after the local council decided in their wisdom to top-dress a mile stretch of road with tar and chuckies rather than man up and have the road completely resurfaced   :rolleyes:

Some good results though with the tar remover, Dodo Juice Lime Prime and Meguiars Last Touch spray

Golf Mk8 R order cancelled...awaiting company car instead
Tiguan 1.5 Elegance for the wife & dogs
Skoda 1.5 SEL cheap lease special

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2316 on: 03 June 2015, 23:10 »
Detarred the entire car after the local council decided in their wisdom to top-dress a mile stretch of road with tar and chuckies rather than man up and have the road completely resurfaced   :rolleyes:

Some good results though with the tar remover, Dodo Juice Lime Prime and Meguiars Last Touch spray

That looks awesome, what amazing shine  :shocked:  Tornado Red at it's best.  Looks really special, especially with the contrasting gloss black mirrors   :cool:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline phope

• I live here
« Reply #2317 on: 03 June 2015, 23:17 »

I've just bought a test can of Gyeon Can Coat quartz sealant, so am itching to give it a go as well. Planning to test it on the wing mirrors first, just in case

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2318 on: 03 June 2015, 23:28 »

I've just bought a test can of Gyeon Can Coat quartz sealant, so am itching to give it a go as well. Planning to test it on the wing mirrors first, just in case

I'd be very interested in your view of the Gyeon Can Coat, when you've had chance to give it a go. Some one else on here recommended it too, a while back.  So I'm quite interested in it, particularly the durability and beading quality.  Maybe you could post a little review in the detailing section if you get time, once you've had it on a while  :smiley:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline phope

• I live here
« Reply #2319 on: 03 June 2015, 23:32 »
Will do - I should hopefully get some quality time with the car on Saturday whilst the better half is away working at her shop :D