Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2785071 times)

Offline gazmondo35

• Here all the time
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #2260 on: 31 May 2015, 00:20 »
Polished the crap out of the bonnet after my nephew (only 8 years old )scratched it trying to get the rain of the bonnet with a zipper on the sleeve of his Jacket . The car was only 2 days old at the time , I tried polishing it out by hand but to no avail , so ended up investing in a rupes DA polisher to do the job & im very happy with the results

Mk7 golf R DBP
MK7 golf gti pp red (sold)

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2261 on: 31 May 2015, 07:57 »
Gazmondo: You need to have someone make your nephew a jacket made entirely from microfibre cloths and insists that he wears it every time he visits.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2262 on: 31 May 2015, 08:13 »
Well I was up quite sharp today, so I decided to take the new R out on a little drive without the wife "tsk"ing me, mainly to see what it could do and also to see how quickly it warms up.

It was pissing it down outside, so I didn't get a chance to check if the cold tyre pressures were correct without risking a soaking, and left them as they are.

To warm up, I took it on a leisurely 30-40mph drive along the seafront between Tynemouth and Whitley Bay links. The car took less than 2 miles to get the water up to temp, and the oil was in excess of 90C with 5 miles on the trip meter (ambient temp of 9C). Once we were up to temp, I made my way to the "Coast Road" to do my usual performance test which I use to compare all my cars.

I come off the roundabout and onto it via a sliproad, doing 25mph. At a certain point I put my foot down, and accelerate through a few gears until I pass a sign, and see what the speed is.

Just to put everything in context, some of my previous cars have managed:-

140TDI PD MK5 Golf = 70mph
170TDI PD MK5 Golf= 80mph
140TDI CR Scirocco = 78mph
170TDI CR Scirocco = 82mph
MK7 Golf GTD (standard) = 81mph (cold), 83mph (warm) - i'm convinced that the MK7 limits power on an engine not up to temp.

MK7 Golf GTD DTUK box on (~240ps/500Nm) = 89mph (warm)

All the above are the best i've had on a dry day, so what did a warm R do on a wet day?

98mph, without giving it everything (took the revs up to 5500). Very impressed with that.

Did 16 miles overall, about 7 miles before I hit the Coast road, and up to that point I was doing a very healthy (for a car with 40 miles on the clock) 31mpg. After doing my speed test and then hammering it up the A19, before a leisurely last 2 miles home, the mpg had dropped no lower than 26mpg and recovered to 29mpg by the end of the journey.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2263 on: 31 May 2015, 08:33 »
Polished the crap out of the bonnet after my nephew (only 8 years old )scratched it trying to get the rain of the bonnet with a zipper on the sleeve of his Jacket . The car was only 2 days old at the time , I tried polishing it out by hand but to no avail , so ended up investing in a rupes DA polisher to do the job & im very happy with the results

Looks fantastic  :cool:  Restored my faith in deep black for the R, which was shaken yesterday after seeing MH's Lapiz.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2264 on: 31 May 2015, 08:37 »
Well I was up quite sharp today, so I decided to take the new R out on a little drive without the wife "tsk"ing me, mainly to see what it could do and also to see how quickly it warms up.

It was pissing it down outside, so I didn't get a chance to check if the cold tyre pressures were correct without risking a soaking, and left them as they are.

To warm up, I took it on a leisurely 30-40mph drive along the seafront between Tynemouth and Whitley Bay links. The car took less than 2 miles to get the water up to temp, and the oil was in excess of 90C with 5 miles on the trip meter (ambient temp of 9C). Once we were up to temp, I made my way to the "Coast Road" to do my usual performance test which I use to compare all my cars.

I come off the roundabout and onto it via a sliproad, doing 25mph. At a certain point I put my foot down, and accelerate through a few gears until I pass a sign, and see what the speed is.

MK7 Golf GTD (standard) = 81mph (cold), 83mph (warm) - i'm convinced that the MK7 limits power on an engine not up to temp.

All the above are the best i've had on a dry day, so what did a warm R do on a wet day?

98mph, without giving it everything (took the revs up to 5500). Very impressed with that.

Did 16 miles overall, about 7 miles before I hit the Coast road, and up to that point I was doing a very healthy (for a car with 40 miles on the clock) 31mpg. After doing my speed test and then hammering it up the A19, before a leisurely last 2 miles home, the mpg had dropped no lower than 26mpg and recovered to 29mpg by the end of the journey.

Knew it wouldn't be long before you posted up some figures  :laugh:

That is impressive.  Early days obviously but that mpg sounds promising.  I expect any current GTD owners toying with the idea of switching to an R will keep a watchful eye on your average/long term figures.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline caprigreen

• Here all the time
« Reply #2265 on: 31 May 2015, 09:12 »

Interesting stuff , my only concern is you took the car out in the rain  :smiley:
64 plate VW Golf GTI PP Pure white
1991 VW Golf GTI 8v Silver, 30k miles

Offline Snooze

• I live here
« Reply #2266 on: 31 May 2015, 09:19 »

Guess your not running in your new engine for the first 1000 miles then?!
2015 Mk7 Golf Gti 3dr Manual, Carbon Steel Grey, Michelin PS4's

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2267 on: 31 May 2015, 12:37 »
Snooze: Nope,The GTD got (a little) babying early on and the mpg has been crap, the performance was also a little below expectations (barely quicker than my 170TDI Scirocco). One previous TDI was sat on the motorway for the first 750 miles of it's life and that drank oil.

I've made sure the R has been fully warmed up and then given it 80% of what it should be capable of, and on shortish journeys on mixed roads i'll be giving it plenty of variety when running in. I'll be giving it an oil change at 1500 miles too.

Early days (day!) for the mpg has been promising, i'm already seeing about 60% of what the fully run in GTD would have given for the same journey, despite being a little harder on it. Looking at the official combined mpg for both models (40mpg for R, 67mpg for GTD) the R should be getting 60% of the GTD's mpg. If my R improves a little with running in then i'll be getting better than that official gap between the 2 models.

Offline Laffo

• Just got here
« Reply #2268 on: 31 May 2015, 12:39 »

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2269 on: 31 May 2015, 12:44 »
I need to start remembering i've got 4WD now. More than once today I was setting off from a standstill with the same caution I would give to the GTD on Bridgestones on a wet day to avoid tramping.  :embarrassed:

I also managed to stall the car reversing towards the kerb when parking up back at home due to the autohold having a bit of a death grip when I went to move off backwards.