Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2784992 times)

Offline JB GTI

• I live here
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #2250 on: 26 May 2015, 20:28 »
Red does look great, JBircy's clean GTI and JBs R inspire me to clean mine today. Sealed with Hydro2, which could be the most perfect sealant yet. You literally spray on, pressure wash off and you've got protection.

Looking good Kyle  :cool:
Now Gone: 3dr GTI Carbon Grey Performance Pack Dynaudio
Discover Nav Park Assist Rear Camera
Picked Up: 15th March 2014

Now Gone 3dr Golf R Lapiz Blue, DSG, Dynaudio, 19" Pretoria's, Discover Nav, Keyless, Rear View Camera
Picked Up: 1st March 2015

Now Gone Too: Mk7.5 Golf GTi Performance 5dr Indium Grey DSG Dynaudio 19” Brescia Alloys Vienna Leather Keyless Entry/Start Panoramic Roof 90% Tints Park Assist Rear View Camera Voice Activation Dynamic Lane Assist/DLA

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2251 on: 26 May 2015, 20:50 »
JBirchy and Kyle - both cars look stunning  :cool:

Kyle - how much of a pain are the Santiagos to clean? 
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline KyleB

• I live here
« Reply #2252 on: 26 May 2015, 21:11 »
Cheers guys.

Booth Santiagos are a pain to clean. There are tiny little holes that I can't get my fingers into that are hard to get to, there is an annoying ridge that traps all fort inside the wheel. They do look good though.

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #2253 on: 26 May 2015, 22:27 »
Ever since I got the car I've been desperate to get the wheels off and put some copper slip on them as I once had wheels that refused to budge when I had a puncture. So a year later I finally got round to it  :laugh:  Although they came off with little persuasion today.

What I did notice was I reckon I could have undone the wheel nuts with a socket on the end of a screwdriver as they were literally only hand tight  :shocked:   The car was in for a service a couple of weeks ago and I wonder if that's how they came off easy and weren't tightened properly!!

While off I took the opportunity to wax the callipers from the S&S package.

To start with

Some G101 (great stuff)

Wax on  :laugh:

Wax off  :laugh:

Some copper slip and a bit of tyre dressing and all back together again  :smiley:

IMG_2564 by p3asa, on Flickr

Can't really say I'm impressed by the Nogaro's.
Visually they look great and compliment the car well but on closer inspection the black piano gloss is scratched to hell even although they have been well looked after.
Plus the edge between the black and the diamond cut spoke is really serrated in parts, not a clean join at all.
Not to mention I found a lump of black paint on the inside of one of the wheels!!
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2254 on: 26 May 2015, 22:43 »
Cheers guys.

Booth Santiagos are a pain to clean. There are tiny little holes that I can't get my fingers into that are hard to get to, there is an annoying ridge that traps all fort inside the wheel. They do look good though.

Ah, the annoying ridge that VW love so much.  My Glendales have it too.  They are a breeze to clean, all except the bloody dirt and water trap ridge!  You need a good small wheel brush for the holes.

Can't really say I'm impressed by the Nogaro's.
Visually they look great and compliment the car well but on closer inspection the black piano gloss is scratched to hell even although they have been well looked after.
Plus the edge between the black and the diamond cut spoke is really serrated in parts, not a clean join at all.
Not to mention I found a lump of black paint on the inside of one of the wheels!!

Nice job.  Shame about the scratched gloss black.  Have to say it's stood up pretty well on the Glendales, few marks here and there, but nothing too bad.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline JB GTI

• I live here
« Reply #2255 on: 27 May 2015, 21:16 »
Booth11
You will have no problem with the Pretoria's. They are possibly the easiest wheels I have ever had to keep clean and they are completely lacquered inside and out. I had all mine off within a week of taking delivery on March 1st and gave them a proper clean and polish then added a coat of Poorboys Wheel Sealant and they still gleam  :cool:

Now Gone 3dr Golf R Lapiz Blue, DSG, Dynaudio, 19" Pretoria's, Discover Nav, Keyless, Rear View Camera

Now Gone Too: Mk7.5 Golf GTi Performance 5dr Indium Grey DSG Dynaudio 19” Brescia Alloys Vienna Leather Keyless Entry/Start Panoramic Roof 90% Tints Park Assist Rear View Camera Voice Activation Dynamic Lane Assist/DLA

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2256 on: 27 May 2015, 21:50 »
Booth11
You will have no problem with the Pretoria's. They are possibly the easiest wheels I have ever had to keep clean and they are completely lacquered inside and out. I had all mine off within a week of taking delivery on March 1st and gave them a proper clean and polish then added a coat of Poorboys Wheel Sealant and they still gleam  :cool:

Thanks JB.  Great to hear, I like an easy clean wheel.  Been spoilt of late with the simplicity of the Glendales, so glad the Prets will be just as easy.   Poorboys Wheel Sealant is my wheel sealant of choice too  :smiley:
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline KyleB

• I live here
« Reply #2257 on: 27 May 2015, 21:58 »
Does poor boys sealant make much of a difference? I've always found wheel protection doesn't really last.

Is it best applied when wheel is off?

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2258 on: 27 May 2015, 22:33 »
Does poor boys sealant make much of a difference? I've always found wheel protection doesn't really last.

Is it best applied when wheel is off?

I've been using Poorboys for years and it's always given excellent protection.  Never had a hint of whiteworm on any of my diamond cut VW wheels, including 2 sets of Monzas and my current alloys.  And this is despite having kerbed the wheels on more than one occasion  :embarrassed:   I rate it very highly and see no reason to change to anything else.

To be thorough it would help to have the wheels off a few times a year, but not essential.  If the wheels are coming off for some other reason then makes sense to give the wheels a really good clean and seal before they go back on.  But it's easy enough to apply, though I can see Santiagos being a challenge for application of anything  :sad:
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline JB GTI

• I live here
« Reply #2259 on: 27 May 2015, 22:56 »
I reckon you could do the Pretoria's without taking them off as there is plenty of room to get your hands in but personally I prefer to take them off to see what's going on  :rolleyes: