Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2785022 times)

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #2050 on: 13 April 2015, 20:55 »
I'm certain you won't get bridgestones on the 19's Matt. It'll be pzeros or Dunlop's.

Hope he doesn't, however, mine came on 19's with Bridgestone potenza's which I have to say so far (1500 miles worth) they seem ok, but it could just be the fact it's 4 wheel drive. :cool:

Yes, I think the initial traction will be mitigated by the 4WD no matter the tyres, but in the corner grip won't be.  :cry: I have my fingers crossed, I can't do any more than that.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2051 on: 13 April 2015, 21:25 »
I'm certain you won't get bridgestones on the 19's Matt. It'll be pzeros or Dunlop's.
Hope he doesn't, however, mine came on 19's with Bridgestone potenza's which I have to say so far (1500 miles worth) they seem ok, but it could just be the fact it's 4 wheel drive. :cool:
Yes, I think the initial traction will be mitigated by the 4WD no matter the tyres, but in the corner grip won't be.  :cry: I have my fingers crossed, I can't do any more than that.

Unfortunately a survey of tyres for the R on the R Forum has shown that nearly all Rs whether with 18" Cadiz or 19" Prets which are Wolfsburg born and for the UK market come shod with bonny Bridgestones. One or two have come with Conti 2 and Conti 5 tyres. Literally a handful. I know of only two!

It also seems that the R is produced in Slovakia for the Continental market, and these are shod with Conti 5 tyres.

So it is more than likely you will be gifted with Bridgestones. But I do hope you will be the exception to the rule.

Keep everything tightly crossed!
RED TORNADO 7R, 5 DR, DSG, DCC, DNS, DYNAUDIO, KI, WP, HBA, LN, SP

Offline Snooze

• I live here
« Reply #2052 on: 13 April 2015, 21:33 »
Pretty gutted my new Mk7 Gti will come with bridgestones. Looks like I'll be spinning them up at every opportunity. Wanna get some Goodyear Eagle F1's on there ASAP!
2015 Mk7 Golf Gti 3dr Manual, Carbon Steel Grey, Michelin PS4's

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2053 on: 13 April 2015, 23:10 »
Pretty gutted my new Mk7 Gti will come with bridgestones. Looks like I'll be spinning them up at every opportunity. Wanna get some Goodyear Eagle F1's on there ASAP!

I'm expecting the worst with mine too.  I'll give them a chance as the 4WD may offset the usual Bridgestone issues but I've had them on previous cars and loathed them.  I've already accepted that a replacement will most likely be required, but will be torn between Conti 5p's (on my 2nd set now), Michelin PSS or Goodyear Eagle F1's.  Decisions, decisions  :undecided:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2054 on: 14 April 2015, 07:44 »
I've already accepted that a replacement will most likely be required, but will be torn between Conti 5p's (on my 2nd set now), Michelin PSS or Goodyear Eagle F1's.  Decisions, decisions  :undecided:

Of your 3 choices there, the PSS will be the best all round tyre for life (the Contis do deteriorate when wearing down), and will last linger than the Contis. The F1s should be significantly cheaper than either the PSS or Conti, and will still be a lot better than the Flintstones.

If we all replace our tyres when we get our cars, who are we going to get to buy our RE050s?  :whistle:

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2055 on: 14 April 2015, 08:24 »

If we all replace our tyres when we get our cars, who are we going to get to buy our RE050s?  :whistle:

Well noone on this forum, that's for sure  :grin:

I admit I am swayed towards the PSS.  The decision will be based on performance rather than price and am used to shelling out for 19's.  My first set of Conti's lasted 13k miles, hoping my current tyres will see me through till the R comes  :whistle:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline GrahamFR

• I live here
« Reply #2056 on: 14 April 2015, 08:28 »

I admit I am swayed towards the PSS.  The decision will be based on performance rather than price and am used to shelling out for 19's.  My first set of Conti's lasted 13k miles, hoping my current tyres will see me through till the R comes  :whistle:

There is a dodgy side street place in burton ive noticed that will actually buy your tyres off you. If you pick up your new car and SLOWLY drive to a place like this you could convince them to sell them new and just swap them for something else they have, worth a shot anyway
2007: Leon PD170
2010: Leon CR170
2013: Golf GTI PP
2016: A45 AMG

Offline CraigW

• I live here
« Reply #2057 on: 14 April 2015, 08:30 »
Had my windscreen replaced a few weeks ago and lo and behold it seems to have cured the infuriating buzzing noise I've had from the sound aktuator since owing the car. I wish I had known this a year ago as my attitude towards driving the car has improved considerably.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2058 on: 14 April 2015, 08:41 »

There is a dodgy side street place in burton ive noticed that will actually buy your tyres off you. If you pick up your new car and SLOWLY drive to a place like this you could convince them to sell them new and just swap them for something else they have, worth a shot anyway

That would be a very slow drive to Burton from Newcastle to avoid them looking part worn!  :grin:

Might put a few free ads out there in a months time when the R should be a week or 2 away and gauge interest. If I get interest, i'll get the PSS (or possibly Uniroyal Rainsport 3 - under £93 a corner from Tyre leader delivered). Both tyres have same ratings: E/Fuel, A/Wet grip, B/Noise, no doubt the PSS will be noticeably better in the dry.

I could try and get Costco to pricematch PSS @ £136.89 each + £10 fitting - £147 a corner, I could live with that if I get £300 back for my 4 RE050s.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2059 on: 14 April 2015, 08:42 »

:grin: :grin:

Yes of course the first thing I'll do is drive my brand new R to a dodgy side street in Burton.  I'll go via Coventry, the R theft capital of the UK  :grin:
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual