Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2785019 times)

Offline Mark V GTD

• I live here
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #1970 on: 08 April 2015, 10:28 »
The stock sidelight setting gives you rear lights but hugely reduces the DRL's output. I find the 50% adjustment really works well, particularly for that time of day when its getting dull - say from mid afternoon in the winter, when full xenons would be overkill but you also want rear lights on.

Offline corgi

• I live here
« Reply #1971 on: 08 April 2015, 13:28 »
But you should not really drive with side light on... they are designed to make your car visible when parked.

I was once told by an advanced driving instructor... "If it's dark/ dull enough for side lights then it's dark/dull enough for dipped beam"

If you want rear lights on what is the problem with the front headlight being on? Or is this a vanity thing?

Carbon Grey Metallic, GTD 3 Door Manual, Dynaudio and Advanced Phone Prep
In the Garage: 2010 Jaguar XKR 5.0 Supercharged Convertible replaced 2004 911 (996) Carrera 4S Cabriolet (15/3/15)

Offline 182_blue

• I live here
« Reply #1972 on: 08 April 2015, 14:24 »
But you should not really drive with side light on... they are designed to make your car visible when parked.

I was once told by an advanced driving instructor... "If it's dark/ dull enough for side lights then it's dark/dull enough for dipped beam"

If you want rear lights on what is the problem with the front headlight being on? Or is this a vanity thing?

From my point of view i don't want rear lights on, i just wanted to up the intensity of the front DRL's, i just leave my car Auto and let it decide on what to do, i can't remember the last time i touched the controls of a car light (must be 10 years !).

Offline Mark V GTD

• I live here
« Reply #1973 on: 08 April 2015, 14:49 »
182Blue - the DRL's are already at full (100%) intensity in normal use - the 'tweak' only comes in to play when they dim to 26% when sidelights or headlights are selected....

I disagree - sidelights can be used for driving in urban (street lit) areas and are also useful for increasing visibility in reduced light levels. Headlights are for seeing not being seen!
« Last Edit: 08 April 2015, 14:52 by Mark V GTD »

Offline corgi

• I live here
« Reply #1974 on: 08 April 2015, 15:27 »
I disagree - sidelights can be used for driving in urban (street lit) areas and are also useful for increasing visibility in reduced light levels. Headlights are for seeing not being seen!

And what's the problem using dipped headlights to be seen - they are certainly more likely to be seen than a 5w (or equivalent) side light? Any advanced driver will tell you that sidelights are not sufficient even in the conditions you describe. Sidelights and were designed as markers for when your car is parked at night/poor visibility...

I do note that the minimum requirement for driving in lit built up areas is sidelights but minimum is the operative word...

Carbon Grey Metallic, GTD 3 Door Manual, Dynaudio and Advanced Phone Prep
In the Garage: 2010 Jaguar XKR 5.0 Supercharged Convertible replaced 2004 911 (996) Carrera 4S Cabriolet (15/3/15)

Offline Mark V GTD

• I live here
« Reply #1975 on: 08 April 2015, 15:53 »
Corgi - we are talking about using sidelights WITH DRL's!  The latter are designed to make you visible - the 'problem' with using dipped headlights to be seen with is that they were not designed for it whereas the DRL lights your car is equipped with were designed for exactly that!

Lighting technology has changed a lot since many 'advanced' drivers took their tests - particular with the recent mandatory fitment of DRL lighting on new car designs....

Offline 182_blue

• I live here
« Reply #1976 on: 08 April 2015, 16:29 »
182Blue - the DRL's are already at full (100%) intensity in normal use - the 'tweak' only comes in to play when they dim to 26% when sidelights or headlights are selected....

Yes i had noted that from Negs post from the R forum (where I got the idea),  i maybe wasn't clear,  Corgi jumped in on the thread and introduced a issue that had nothing to do with the reason I changed the DRL setting.

Offline 182_blue

• I live here
« Reply #1977 on: 08 April 2015, 16:32 »
Anyway to get back on topic I added the State of battery indicator and puddle Iights to stay on when folded today when  I turned the DRLs down.

Offline Mark V GTD

• I live here
« Reply #1978 on: 08 April 2015, 17:45 »
I turned the DRLs down.
You mean 'up'?  :wink:

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #1979 on: 08 April 2015, 18:13 »
I've been running with the DRLs on at 100% with dipped beam for around 6 months and can't say I've noticed them being dazzling.
Certainly nobody has flashed me.  The DRLs really gets lost when the dipped lights are on.

Another worthwhile VCDS tweak is the fog lights on with full beam. It fair lights up the road.
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14