Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2785000 times)

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #1540 on: 22 December 2014, 07:59 »
This great discount is really due to the VWFS 1000 quid deposit contribution offer - otherwise its just a normal 10%.

Great little car though :-)

If you're not really after the finance though, you can take it out and pay off in full within the 14 day cooling off period, paying only daily interest (what will probably amount to £4.50 a day), keeping any incentives that are either fitted to the car or dealership supplied contributions etc. I'm not 100% sure, but i'm pretty sure that even manufacturer supplied deposit contributions cannot be rescinded.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline wigit

• I live here
« Reply #1541 on: 22 December 2014, 11:37 »
have been looking at the Polo GTI as a new daily instead of the Blue GT which is approaching 30k on the clock having seen some of these deals, trouble is really want dsg and i'll be honest its not the sharpest handling car I have driven but I do like the size and they feel a bit more old school in the build

I was around £18K on DTD with a raft of options, probably will borrow a demo for a weekend

Offline kenny.c

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #1542 on: 22 December 2014, 16:15 »
Wigit

Just curious what sort of long term MPG your Blue GT is getting..?? We are looking to replace a DS3 early next year and have been considering a BGT...

Thanks
Ken
GTI - PP

Offline wigit

• I live here
« Reply #1543 on: 22 December 2014, 16:27 »
Wigit

Just curious what sort of long term MPG your Blue GT is getting..?? We are looking to replace a DS3 early next year and have been considering a BGT...

Thanks
Ken

I actually really love the Blue GT, mpg is in the 40-50s as it never really gets what I call a set routine, will see 450 miles from a tank at motorway speeds, 70 and below it comes into its own, on a day to day basis more frugal than my 500 Twin Air I had before it

Polo has been a great car and in the blue silk looks great and just takes what gets thrown at it with £20 a year road fund licence

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #1544 on: 22 December 2014, 17:51 »
I'm considering the polo gti to replace the gtd. Just waiting for a test drive in one.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1545 on: 23 December 2014, 07:58 »
I'm considering the polo gti to replace the gtd. Just waiting for a test drive in one.

You'll have to push Mick hard for that level of discount, and if you do manage to get somewhere close to it, you might find the GTD just about worth more than the discounted GTI with a few options. I was surprised how hard a bargain i'd managed to strike with him for the R (don't forget he's in the Durham branch now).

Considering what Mick offered for mine and it having no options, yours should be worth £19000-19500 in a fair p/x that won't eat into your potential to negotiate discount if you were looking to get one as early as April/May (I dont think the lead time will be huge for a Polo, even a GTI).

Might be worth you sticking yours on pistonheads to get the most back for your options, having the buyer pay the finance balance directly to VWFS and pocketing the difference. You might end up with £1500 more than p/x once the tyre kickers have battered you down £500.

I think you'll find the Polo a bit rougher around the edges (handling/ride) compared to the MQB MK7, but maybe that's a good thing. It'll certainly feel a lot quicker, and it will be a lot quicker off the line, even if in reality it'll have similar mid-range capabilities.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Mark V GTD

• I live here
« Reply #1546 on: 23 December 2014, 11:27 »
I'm starting to warm to the idea myself now....!

Offline CraigW

• I live here
« Reply #1547 on: 23 December 2014, 13:29 »
I don't see why anyone would want to step down from a GTD/GTI to a polo other than as a financial consideration.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1548 on: 23 December 2014, 15:50 »
I don't see why anyone would want to step down from a GTD/GTI to a polo other than as a financial consideration.
It depends on how you look at it.
The Golf is big and heavy and has a lovely high quality feel about it.
BUT the Polo is fun.
Yep, the Polo interior isn't a patch on the Golf, the electronics are a generation or half a generation at least behind, you get nasty painted metal bits on a five door by the rear window, the wheelbase is shorter and it's a taller car so it's not as stable... I could go on for hours pointing out the negatives.

However - the Golfs, despite all the electronic aids can be as dull as ditchwater to punt around at legal speeds.
How many on here have said their mk7 isn't as much fun or doesn't feel as quick as the figures suggest?
Just look at the used values of Lupo GTI's now compared to Golf GTI's of a similar age. Is the Lupo GTI fast? No, it ain't but it's FUN.
The Polo GTI is no Lupo GTI but motoring is getting so watered down now, and Golfs are so refined as standard cars they've lost that little spark that used to distinguish that sporty models - and I'm going right back to the early 90's here when the Golf decided to be all things to all people.
Is a Polo GTI a better car than a Golf GTI? Not a chance but it could well be a lot more fun to drive and sometimes that, added to the financial considerations, makes it something worthwhile to own.
In an ideal world it would be nice to have something fun like a Polo GTI or Mini Cooper S for days when you're in the mood and a Golf R (or GTI/D) for other duties and I think that's what a fair few on here will consider.

I'd consider a Polo GTI over a Golf GTI as I don't need a biggish car 99.9% of the time, but at the end of the day it's always nice to get back into a Golf GTI as it has just that little something that other cars don't have, the ingredient X.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline corgi

• I live here
« Reply #1549 on: 23 December 2014, 17:18 »
However - the Golfs, despite all the electronic aids can be as dull as ditchwater to punt around at legal speeds.
How many on here have said their mk7 isn't as much fun or doesn't feel as quick as the figures suggest?
This statement is valid for most cars. They're vastly over-tyred and have a range of electronic devices to curtail the fun. Modern cars are so capable, that to recreate the feeling we had 20 years ago you need to be traveling so much faster...the problem is that when it goes wrong there is so much more energy involved. Incidentally, Toyota/Subaru have got it right with the GT86/BRZ... not that fast but great fun...
Just look at the used values of Lupo GTI's now compared to Golf GTI's of a similar age. Is the Lupo GTI fast? No, it ain't but it's FUN.
I think there is another factor at play here, affecting the fun, as well as size... mass - The Lupo GTI will feel so much more nimble... Drive something very light and you'll find driving a very different experience... I had a Caterham and you didn't so much drive it as think it, because of its low mass it was so responsive to steering and throttle inputs...
The Polo GTI is no Lupo GTI but motoring is getting so watered down now, and Golfs are so refined as standard cars they've lost that little spark that used to distinguish that sporty models - and I'm going right back to the early 90's here when the Golf decided to be all things to all people.
There is a constant drive from the buying public for a car to be better than the one that preceded it... bigger, quieter, smoother, more economical etc. that's why we are where we are...
Is a Polo GTI a better car than a Golf GTI?
Depends on your your requirements - but for me, no
In an ideal world it would be nice to have something fun like a Polo GTI or Mini Cooper S for days when you're in the mood and a Golf R (or GTI/D) for other duties and I think that's what a fair few on here will consider.
The Golf and Polo are too similar - I've been down this route before - I've ended up with my 911 Cabrio (because it fun and noisy enough) but I can (and have) driven it to Italy etc. but previously, a Caterham fitted the bill, before that a 1968 Coooper 'S' (I should have kept it - given the prices they fetch now) ... If you're going to have a second 'fun' car... do it properly...

If you can have but one... then the comfort:fun ratio will be different for everyone... If you can get what you want/need in a Polo GTI... why buy a Golf GTD/GTI/R?

Carbon Grey Metallic, GTD 3 Door Manual, Dynaudio and Advanced Phone Prep
In the Garage: 2010 Jaguar XKR 5.0 Supercharged Convertible replaced 2004 911 (996) Carrera 4S Cabriolet (15/3/15)