Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2785019 times)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #1520 on: 15 December 2014, 17:05 »
This describes it a little better:

http://blogs.sap.com/innovation/innovation/protect-your-business-fleet-from-rising-problem-keyless-entry-01795289

and this also talks about how its being reported as one thing, but its mixing up the facts:

http://darthnull.org/2014/10/28/keyless-car-thefts

Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline ffrank

• Here all the time
« Reply #1521 on: 15 December 2014, 17:18 »
Thanks fred. Hmm, I think there's a lot of conflicting info out there.

That first article on the SAP blog is titled keyless entry, but doesn't describe any theft techniques using keyless keys - all those techniques use our standard electronic keys fobs. Which leads me to believe they have misrepresented the Met figures in their closing sentence also!?

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #1522 on: 15 December 2014, 17:35 »
I *think* what is happening is that with keyless it is possible once you have gained access to the vehicle to reprogram a new "key" using the diagnostic port. Obtaining entry is either by breaking a window or by jamming the locking signal (clearly this works for non-keyless too)

What I read digging around just now suggested that the EU (God bless them) made it illegal for the manufacturers to only allow their dealers to create replacement keys, which means that the technology to make and sell "key reprogrammers" has to be available to all and sundry - and somebody is selling them in some way that criminals are able to obtain. Repackaging that into a black box that you can push big buttons on in a hurry is only one step further away.

The next hurdle for the thieving scum is starting the car and unlocking the steering - on keyless this is all possible via the newly programmed "key".... if you don't have keyless, you still have a manual interlock to overcome, possible, but seemingly more difficult - and why bother when there are plenty of high end vehicles with keyless... in fact, the more expensive the motor, the more likely its keyless!

I think this is what is happening...

Clearly there are obvious counter-measures there could be built in, like if the alarm has been activated (by breaking a window) then have a 30 minute delay before the diagnostic port will accept commands... or something.

Maybe keyless/proximity entry but a mechanical key to start the car is the way to go?

Fred
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1523 on: 15 December 2014, 17:51 »
Maybe keyless/proximity entry but a mechanical key to start the car is the way to go?
Fred

But you have pressed your remote to open the car door and the mechanical key is ready to use to start the car so why then bother with 'keyless + mechanical key' which costs more?

Thanks for your excellent links.

RED TORNADO 7R, 5 DR, DSG, DCC, DNS, DYNAUDIO, KI, WP, HBA, LN, SP

Offline Sky

• Just got here
« Reply #1524 on: 19 December 2014, 00:23 »
http://s1117.photobucket.com/user/Peter_Gilmore/media/IMG_0196_zps26bb0775.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

Unfortunately some one dented and scratched the off side front and rear doors. Thanks to Mill Body Shop and DDB Detailing and Valeting, North Shields for making the car look better than new. Gtechniq re-applied and winter protection detailing as well. Thanks to all once again.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #1525 on: 19 December 2014, 07:08 »
I can highly recommend David at DDB valeting. Top job and top man.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline JBirchy

• Here all the time
« Reply #1526 on: 19 December 2014, 08:42 »
http://s1117.photobucket.com/user/Peter_Gilmore/media/IMG_0196_zps26bb0775.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

Unfortunately some one dented and scratched the off side front and rear doors. Thanks to Mill Body Shop and DDB Detailing and Valeting, North Shields for making the car look better than new. Gtechniq re-applied and winter protection detailing as well. Thanks to all once again.

That looks absolutely marvelous pal. Excellent.
MK7 GTI 3-Door DSG, Tornado Red, Discover Nav, Winter Pack, ACC, Keyless Go, Reversing Camera, Service Pack... Ordered 28th Oct... Collected 1st March!

Offline MAW73

• I live here
  • Used to like Golfs :-)
« Reply #1527 on: 19 December 2014, 13:37 »

Cheers Andy glad you enjoyed the M135i. Its a bit of beast power wise but not so fun at the moment in the colder weather so I'm poodling around at the moment.

However, having my winter wheels fitted tomorrow so things should improve. At least I can guarantee it won't snow down my way now after spending £1,600 out one these!

You know the rules - PHOTOS!

BBS SRs by any chance?

BBS SRs certainly would have been nice Andy..... However, for cheapness I went for the BMW winter wheels which are 17" BMW Style 380 Y-spoke wheels complete with continental winter Contact TS830P SSR tyres. Here she is nice and clean today (which won't last long)

« Last Edit: 19 December 2014, 14:54 by MAW73 »

2007 VW Mk5 Golf GT 5 Door DSG
2009 VW Mk6 Golf GTI 5 Door DSG
2012 BMW F20 125i M Sport, Auto
2014 BMW F20 M135i, Auto

Offline corgi

• I live here
« Reply #1528 on: 19 December 2014, 14:46 »
The 1500 out of 4500 stolen cars in the West Midlands police area last year would seem to suggest the stories are  far from thin on the ground... especially if this proportion is repeated across other force areas...
Is there an article about that Corgi? I did some googling the other day, but the articles I found covered theft by reprogramming key fobs (which we all obviously have) and keyless in one breath, so I presumed the majority of these 'electronic thefts' are using the older method of re-coding blank key fobs.

I don't know, to be honest, it was on Midlands Today one day last week. I've rounded the figures - because I can't remember the exact numbers - but they are the right order of magnitude and proportion...

Carbon Grey Metallic, GTD 3 Door Manual, Dynaudio and Advanced Phone Prep
In the Garage: 2010 Jaguar XKR 5.0 Supercharged Convertible replaced 2004 911 (996) Carrera 4S Cabriolet (15/3/15)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1529 on: 19 December 2014, 16:56 »

Cheers Andy glad you enjoyed the M135i. Its a bit of beast power wise but not so fun at the moment in the colder weather so I'm poodling around at the moment.

However, having my winter wheels fitted tomorrow so things should improve. At least I can guarantee it won't snow down my way now after spending £1,600 out one these!

You know the rules - PHOTOS!

BBS SRs by any chance?

BBS SRs certainly would have been nice Andy..... However, for cheapness I went for the BMW winter wheels which are 17" BMW Style 380 Y-spoke wheels complete with continental winter Contact TS830P SSR tyres. Here she is nice and clean today (which won't last long)

Have fun cleaning those over winter Martin!  :grin:
That little package should keep you safe on the road.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner