Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2785009 times)

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #1500 on: 12 December 2014, 16:36 »
Does the convenience out-weigh the risk? I don't find it difficult pressing a button on my key-fob...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-29786320
On the local news last night West Midlands Police were reporting that a third of all car thefts in the last year were, so-called, "key-less thefts"... and the feeling was that the car would be gone within minutes of you leaving it...

Now I remember why I did not order it. A policeman friend of mine advised me not to get Keyless Entry (KE). Most of the cars stolen in London have KE. So that's that. Good. More money saved and the car is less likely to be stolen.

So the only other thing I might ask for is the Climate Windscreen (CW) but I don't want the Advanced Telephone Connection (ATC). I think this is also a non-runner. My BMW does not have CW and I have not missed this option.

Don't want the rear view camera as it is a gimmick IMO, though a nice one. The Golf is a small car with no rear overhang.

So I have convinced myself I don't need to add anything else which I would find useful.

The wait continues.
RED TORNADO 7R, 5 DR, DSG, DCC, DNS, DYNAUDIO, KI, WP, HBA, LN, SP

Offline ffrank

• Here all the time
« Reply #1501 on: 12 December 2014, 17:16 »
Now I remember why I did not order it. A policeman friend of mine advised me not to get Keyless Entry (KE). Most of the cars stolen in London have KE. So that's that. Good. More money saved and the car is less likely to be stolen.
My suspicion is that most of the cars stolen are using tried and tested 'old school' methods, such those below (I'm not sure what year these stats are from):

That doesn't mean most of the cars being nicked don't have keyless, but it also doesn't mean they are all stolen through 'master keyless keys' or whatever it is they are using. So they were nicked as they are nice new cars as opposed to because they have keyless. Probably an important distinction to make!

The stories of keyless theft appear a bit thin on the ground, and I can't help but think the manufacturers will resolve issues as they occur - as surely all cars will go this way eventually?

Although of course not getting keyless is still a good saving, and as we've all driven for x years without it - you won't miss it. But once you do get it you will probably not want to go back to a key! (I now resent needing to get my key out to get into my house!)

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1502 on: 12 December 2014, 17:31 »
I will also be using the Autowatch Key Guard so getting keyless is pointless for me as I still have to use a fob!

http://www.autowatch.co.uk/product/immobiliser/key_guard/Key%20Guard.html

Offline corgi

• I live here
« Reply #1503 on: 12 December 2014, 17:34 »
The stories of keyless theft appear a bit thin on the ground, and I can't help but think the manufacturers will resolve issues as they occur - as surely all cars will go this way eventually?

The 1500 out of 4500 stolen cars in the West Midlands police area last year would seem to suggest the stories are  far from thin on the ground... especially if this proportion is repeated across other force areas...

I'm not sure all cars will go this way eventually, unless they can address the apparent security flaws...

As I said, I'm sure its a nice convenience but for what it costs and the potential issues, I'm glad I gave it a miss...

Carbon Grey Metallic, GTD 3 Door Manual, Dynaudio and Advanced Phone Prep
In the Garage: 2010 Jaguar XKR 5.0 Supercharged Convertible replaced 2004 911 (996) Carrera 4S Cabriolet (15/3/15)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #1504 on: 12 December 2014, 17:45 »
Surely the answer is keyless entry but a pin number to activate the car? Just have it come up on the touch screen, randomize the number/character positions (so grease marks don't give away the places you press every time) and there you go.

Like locking your phone, make it an option that people can use if they want.

Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1505 on: 12 December 2014, 17:45 »
The 1500 out of 4500 stolen cars in the West Midlands police area last year would seem to suggest the stories are  far from thin on the ground... especially if this proportion is repeated across other force areas...
I'm not sure all cars will go this way eventually, unless they can address the apparent security flaws...
As I said, I'm sure its a nice convenience but for what it costs and the potential issues, I'm glad I gave it a miss...

I agree.
It is not that hard to press a button!

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #1506 on: 12 December 2014, 18:13 »
Washed the car today and couldn't believe some black paint peeled off from inside the wheel as I was hosing it!!!

Not very happy. Then on further inspection it was the weight the paint had peeled off from! Still shouldn't be happening.
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #1507 on: 12 December 2014, 20:06 »
Does the convenience out-weigh the risk? I don't find it difficult pressing a button on my key-fob...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-29786320
On the local news last night West Midlands Police were reporting that a third of all car thefts in the last year were, so-called, "key-less thefts"... and the feeling was that the car would be gone within minutes of you leaving it...

So the only other thing I might ask for is the Climate Windscreen (CW) but I don't want the Advanced Telephone Connection (ATC). I think this is also a non-runner. My BMW does not have CW and I have not missed this option.

Don't want the rear view camera as it is a gimmick IMO, though a nice one. The Golf is a small car with no rear overhang.

So I have convinced myself I don't need to add anything else which I would find useful.

The wait continues.
http://youtu.be/rZIW0J0_tS4
Shows an Audi with keyless been stolen. The device used which also works on vw and bmw cars is readily available off ebay!
I would stick with the key if it was me.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1508 on: 12 December 2014, 20:15 »
I will also be using the Autowatch Key Guard so getting keyless is pointless for me as I still have to use a fob!

http://www.autowatch.co.uk/product/immobiliser/key_guard/Key%20Guard.html

That system should come with a duress code that only you know as well as the proper one. Someone burgles you for the keys, confronts you, you give them the duress code and when they go to start the car with it they get fried or gassed.

Really not convinced by keyless unless you are a lass with a Mary Poppins bag you'll never find the keys in, not much of a labour saver.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline dirvy

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #1509 on: 12 December 2014, 20:22 »
Sold it.. Had chance of. Cancelled order. Limestone r 19s pana keyless winter sat pro .. What a sucker couldn't resist. Sitting other side of channel. Hoping for Xmas delivery.