Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2785022 times)

Offline dave7268

• GTI forum regular
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #1390 on: 11 November 2014, 17:23 »
Looking good. Where did you get the badge skins from? I can only see them abroad!

Also fitted badgeskins vinyl stickers to VW emblems, front and rear, and to the GTI front grill badge.

Thanks  :smiley:

I got them from the USA and received them within 5 days of ordering. Ordered from Badgeskins website and worked out to £27 in total with P&P. They do lettering in red and yellow too. Installation was a breeze.  :sad:
7GTI PP DSG - no longer

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1391 on: 11 November 2014, 17:33 »
The Bridgestones are probably best suited to something that doesn't have tons of torque to avoid tramping. They're probably great on a 1.2,TSI Golf. My Pirelli P7s on the Scirocco were great while they lasted, but wore very unevenly on the fronts (a few with a P7 equipped Scirocco saw the same, but most didn't).
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Ross Detours

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #1392 on: 12 November 2014, 12:06 »
For my (our) size of tyre - 225/40/R18/Y, out of their top 6 recommended buys, the Michelin's are not only the most expensive (although not by much), but also have a fairly mediocre efficiency rating of "E" (for the Pilot Sport 3's).

To be honest, unless you're all about saving fuel then the efficiency rating doesn't count for much. If a tyre grips the road better then it will naturally take more energy (fuel) to move it. That's why most of the better performing tyres have poorer efficiency ratings.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #1393 on: 12 November 2014, 12:42 »
Aren't most of the things they provide ratings for on tyres actually factors that work against each other?

Better wet braking means chunkier pattern, which means more road noise for example.

Longer wearing will means less grippy and so on.

You will probably find you either get something which scores average across all metrics or something which excels in one - I doubt you will find something which excels at all of them IMHO.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline GrahamFR

• I live here
« Reply #1394 on: 12 November 2014, 12:44 »
Aren't most of the things they provide ratings for on tyres actually factors that work against each other?

Better wet braking means chunkier pattern, which means more road noise for example.

Longer wearing will means less grippy and so on.

You will probably find you either get something which scores average across all metrics or something which excels in one - I doubt you will find something which excels at all of them IMHO.

Ahh but the challenge is (or at least i hope thats what theyre doing with the millions spent in R&D) is to find the patterns that are grippier but quieter and to blend the rubber in a way that lasts longer but still handles well...
2007: Leon PD170
2010: Leon CR170
2013: Golf GTI PP
2016: A45 AMG

Offline kenny.c

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #1395 on: 12 November 2014, 21:18 »
Not strictly the car.....but you cannot beat a little "key bling"

Ken
GTI - PP

Offline wigit

• I live here
« Reply #1396 on: 14 November 2014, 22:46 »
Picked up the TSWs now finished in gloss anthracite, need to pick up the carbon dipped centre caps and get them back on

Offline pjr

• Not said much yet
« Reply #1397 on: 15 November 2014, 15:38 »
Fitted my winter wheels & tyres today that I'd kept from my previous A3. They fit fine although they look a little small compared to the Austins.

Ride quality is better, but steering is a little more vague - they worked well on my A3 so hoping they'll be just as good on the GTI

Tyres are Dunlop Wintersport 3D 205/55x16 - this will be the fourth winter I've used these tyres (3 winters on the A3)

The offset is 1mm less than the Austins, but because of the narrower wheel, they tuck into the arches more.

Tornado Red Golf GTI 5 Door (220PS) - Discover Nav, Winter Pack, Mudflaps & Service Plan (Built BW11 & collected 5th April 2014)

Spritmonitor Fuel Economy :

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1398 on: 16 November 2014, 16:30 »
Just given my car a very thorough wash and a new coat of C2V3 as the rain wasn't beading any more. Noticed a few tiny lacquer scratches i'll buff out at some point and a few hardly noticeable stone chips. The car's bodywork is nice and slippery once more.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline CraigW

• I live here
« Reply #1399 on: 16 November 2014, 19:44 »
Just given my car a very thorough wash and a new coat of C2V3 as the rain wasn't beading any more. Noticed a few tiny lacquer scratches i'll buff out at some point and a few hardly noticeable stone chips. The car's bodywork is nice and slippery once more.

Ditto, did exactly the same today MH. Thorough wash, de-tarred, Iron-X'd and C2V3 applied. All in took about 5.5hrs. Knackered!  :grin: