Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2811176 times)

Offline willni

• I live here
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #12810 on: 04 March 2023, 18:26 »
Considered chopping the GTi in after driving a new GR86 on my local roads all afternoon,,, the practicality of the Golf may prevail! :)

If you do there'll be a queue for your GTI :laugh:

I'm prepared to offer bad money for it  :wink:
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #12811 on: 04 March 2023, 18:43 »
Considered chopping the GTi in after driving a new GR86 on my local roads all afternoon,,, the practicality of the Golf may prevail! :)

Ha, ha.... Don't worry Watts, I'll keep it nice for you until you are ready! :)

TR, 3 door, Recaros, manual, not sure there's much appeal...

Keep away folks, nothing to see here :whistle:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #12812 on: 04 March 2023, 19:13 »

Ha, ha.... Don't worry Watts, I'll keep it nice for you until you are ready! :)

TR, 3 door, Recaros, manual, not sure there's much appeal...

Keep away folks, nothing to see here :whistle:

Very good! :)

Offline EB2019

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #12813 on: 05 March 2023, 06:57 »

How did you find the GR86?  Apart from the fake sound I bet it was nice to drive a bespoke chassis? I have had 2 Gt86's and it was the thing that struck me the most, compared to a performance car converted from a normal car (thinking BMW for example to M cars).

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #12814 on: 05 March 2023, 07:50 »
Finally got the time / weather for a decent clean. Power washed, Autoglym Polar Blast foam, power wash again, wash with Meguiars Ultimate Wash and Wax, final power wash and then a coat of Autoglym Ceramic spray wax.
Not as good as some of the superb detailing on here but it works for me.

« Last Edit: 05 March 2023, 07:52 by Adam T7 »
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #12815 on: 05 March 2023, 07:58 »
Finally got the time / weather for a decent clean. Power washed, Autoglym Polar Blast foam, power wash again, wash with Meguiars Ultimate Wash and Wax, final power wash and then a coat of Autoglym Ceramic spray wax.
Not as good as some of the superb detailing on here but it works for me.

I'd be very happy if mine was half as clean as yours! I'm off work for a week and hoping to get a chance to give the car a good once over but what with the OH locking me in the bathroom to redecorate and the crappy weather forecast plus friends visiting for a few days, I think it's going to remain mucky.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #12816 on: 05 March 2023, 08:26 »
I know the feeling, I get annoyed when it’s covered in crud😄
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #12817 on: 05 March 2023, 09:38 »

How did you find the GR86?  Apart from the fake sound I bet it was nice to drive a bespoke chassis? I have had 2 Gt86's and it was the thing that struck me the most, compared to a performance car converted from a normal car (thinking BMW for example to M cars).
A fantastic handling car, I was cautious of the hype, but it appears justified. It was driven with all assist systems switched, which even though it is being run in with <100 miles on the clock, it does make a difference. Steering and suspension is on a level with previous Lotus I have owned. The engine particularly the torque was a step on from the GT86, the gearchange is sublime, brakes may lack a little initial bite, maybe that wil improve with a few miles?
The engine sound was nothing special, piped in or not, but I am not one for pops 'n bangs etc...more interested in the drive.
I was considering buying another Lotus next (which I don't need), I would seriously look at the GR when you take account of  the build quality and 10 year warranty if you service with Toyota.
Toyota are on a roll, the 86 is not as acomplished overall as the GR Yaris, but offers more interaction at lower speeds, the 86 issue for me is the lack of a practical hatchback. A rwd 240 bhp GR Yaris with the hatchback would be ideal.
Hence the GTi staying on as the "sensisble" car in the fleet!
If you previously owned a GT86, you need to try one, it may prove to be quite an expensive test drive!? :)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #12818 on: 05 March 2023, 10:58 »
The fact you can test drive a GR86 means I’ll assume you can still order one?
In various road tests I’d seen I was left under the impression they’d sold out almost instantly.
Toyota as far as ICE car enthusiasts are concerned certainly have been on a roll recently, hopefully that won’t change with the new boss taking up position.
At around the £30k mark which we’ll have to call relatively very affordable by modern car pricing, we’ve had the GR Yaris and GR86 launched in the last few years which Toyota should be commended for.
It was good to read your unbiased review clubsport.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #12819 on: 05 March 2023, 11:14 »
Thanks Exonian, the car I drove was new, collected yesterday by an old friend. I am in a fortunate position where friends & family seek approval or not on new cars, they have purchased. :) To be fair, I have mentioned it is the most interesting new car to me of recent years!
He placed the order last April online where apparently the 400 UK car allocation sold out in 40 minutes?
At present you cannot place an order for the car. However, he was told by Toyota, there will be 2 further allocations of 400 cars in total coming to the UK.
I understand they will come up online to order at some point, you would need to get the heads up from a Toyota dealer when that may be?
Delivery mileage cars are selling for £36-37k depending on spec & colour with main dealers asking £40k (cheeky?).
That premium may well disapperar as more cars are delivered.