Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2791374 times)

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #6010 on: 02 February 2017, 07:38 »
I don't get the hate for the headlight washers either personally. I think they're kinda cool. Only time they'd slightly annoy me is on a summer evening when the car is otherwise spotless and they fire up the crap on the bonnet. That's hardly an issue this time of year....

Best vcds mod imo is the full brake lights. It's how they should be working from the factory.

Hate is perhaps a strong word for yhe headlight washers, but they are so ineffective in keeping the headlights clean.

Spraying windscreen washer fluid onto a grimy headlight casing and then having no means to wipe fluid and grime away (as your windscreen wipers do) just leaves a dirty wet mess (until the methanol evaporates, then it is just a dry mess).
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6011 on: 02 February 2017, 07:48 »
I don't get the hate for the headlight washers either personally. I think they're kinda cool. Only time they'd slightly annoy me is on a summer evening when the car is otherwise spotless and they fire up the crap on the bonnet. That's hardly an issue this time of year....

Best vcds mod imo is the full brake lights. It's how they should be working from the factory.

That mod is next on the list.

It the combination with the headlight washers - the mess they make and their uselessness as monkeyhanger explains above.  If they actually did the job then wouldn't be so bad but they do nothing in terms of effective cleaning the headlights.  And although cars gets dirty (at any time of year) the washers leave big streaks all over the bonnet, wings etc, which just looks awful even on a dirty car.  That's why I HATE them, lol.  All good now though as disabled.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #6012 on: 02 February 2017, 08:12 »
The reason we don't have full brake lights is because here, there has to be a minimum of 100mm between the brake and fog light. I doubt anyone would ever get stopped, or fail an MOT for this, but that's why it is like it is.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #6013 on: 02 February 2017, 09:01 »
The reason we don't have full brake lights is because here, there has to be a minimum of 100mm between the brake and fog light. I doubt anyone would ever get stopped, or fail an MOT for this, but that's why it is like it is.

Wow, great info and I never knew that. As a matter of interest is there a way to disable the brake lights working when your foot is not on the brake. I was behind a GTD the other night at lights and I had spots in my eyes afterwards.
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline boydeee

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6014 on: 02 February 2017, 09:43 »

Wow, great info and I never knew that. As a matter of interest is there a way to disable the brake lights working when your foot is not on the brake. I was behind a GTD the other night at lights and I had spots in my eyes afterwards.

That's something I don't like either as I find people like to sit with their foot on the brake rather than use the handbrake. This happens regardless of whether their car has autohold though.

I often have to flip my sunvisor down at night in traffic :grin:

Offline JB GTI

• I live here
« Reply #6015 on: 02 February 2017, 22:36 »

Just pull the handbrake switch when you come to a stop and the brake lights turn off. When you pull off the handbrake releases automatically.... Well It definitely does on DSG cars.  :whistle:
Now Gone: 3dr GTI Carbon Grey Performance Pack Dynaudio
Discover Nav Park Assist Rear Camera
Picked Up: 15th March 2014

Now Gone 3dr Golf R Lapiz Blue, DSG, Dynaudio, 19" Pretoria's, Discover Nav, Keyless, Rear View Camera
Picked Up: 1st March 2015

Now Gone Too: Mk7.5 Golf GTi Performance 5dr Indium Grey DSG Dynaudio 19” Brescia Alloys Vienna Leather Keyless Entry/Start Panoramic Roof 90% Tints Park Assist Rear View Camera Voice Activation Dynamic Lane Assist/DLA

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #6016 on: 03 February 2017, 08:00 »
Good tip, but semi defeats the point of auto hold. At least my Passat doesn't leave it's brake lights on.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #6017 on: 03 February 2017, 16:42 »
Can you disable the auto rear wiper when reverse is selected like you can using VCDS.

You don't need VCDS to do this. It is in the menu of the car.

I used to think that was a great feature until I reversed out my drive one day and the window was covered in grit  :cry:
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #6018 on: 03 February 2017, 17:05 »
Can you disable the auto rear wiper when reverse is selected like you can using VCDS.

I used to think that was a great feature until I reversed out my drive one day and the window was covered in grit  :cry:

At the risk of sounding dumb, what difference did the grit make?
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
« Reply #6019 on: 03 February 2017, 17:13 »

At the risk of sounding dumb, what difference did the grit make?

It's got the to scratch the rear window.

I'd guess the window was wet when it was put away, dried in the garage and then automatically came on reversing out the garage.

Just a guess though.
2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!