Author Topic: Off-road driver training?  (Read 4081 times)

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
Re: Off-road driver training?
« Reply #10 on: 26 July 2009, 10:11 »
Your 306 would make an excellent track car.  I really don't know what you're mithering about.  I certainly wouldn't listen to anything the curly-haired freak has to say when judging the handling on your car.  Pug 306 was much feted in the driving press for having excellent handling.
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline Rolfe

• I live here
Re: Off-road driver training?
« Reply #11 on: 26 July 2009, 15:39 »
It's always been fine with me and I've been driving it for over 11 years - but on the other hand, I've never tried to go round corners the way Clarkson does!

It's only got away from me twice.  Once was early one Saturday morning, late March a couple of years ago, just after the clocks changed so it was "really" only 6.30am.  Going round a roundabout where the sun hadn't got on the road, and I found myself spinning out of control.  Immediately thought, this is going to be a write-off and I can't afford that new car at all right now!  However, came to rest on a patch of rough grass none the worse except for a little bit of loose trim.  Road hadn't been salted and I'd hit black ice.  I don't see how any other car would have done any different.

Second time was March this year, just before its MOT check was due.  Another roundabout, nothing wrong with the road, but the rear wheels lost grip.  The car went on going round the roundabout past the exit I'd intended to take, but didn't leave the road.  I collected my scattered dignity and proceeded right round again to get the exit I wanted.  Three days later I took it in for the pre-arranged check to be told my rear tyres were as bald as Yul Brynner.  Can hardly blame the car for that either.  In fact it managed to get me out of that pretty well.

I'm thinking of taking it to this course next month, give it a bit of fun before the scrappage deal kicks in.

http://www.knockhill.com/vouchers/1st-gear-performance-driving.php

Could be quite good for my driving skills, especially as the Golf I'm getting will be a DSG so I won't be able to brush up on my gear-changing on it!

Rolfe.