Author Topic: Suspension, suspension, suspension  (Read 11194 times)

Offline Ben_1uk

• I live here
Suspension, suspension, suspension
« on: 07 October 2008, 21:11 »
Here we go again!

I want to lower my Golf GT TDi - for two reasons:

1) Looks
2) Improve handling

I've looked at both spring and shocks as well as coilover suspension but I'm not sure which to opt for. My main concern is maintaining acceptable ride quality but achieving a pleasing stance.

Coilovers have the luxury of being fully adjustable, so the ride can be wound up or down to suit. I want a drop between -30/40mm, depending on practicality, ie, I don't want to worry about speed bumps or the front ARB rubbing the drive shaft. Having done my homework there doesn't appear to be any hard and fast rule regarding at what point the ARB will need replacing/upgrading to avoid problems. Some people have gone -50mm with no problems, but others have gone for less of a drop and needed to change ARB and drop links.

However, I have been warned off coilovers because they are said to be too harsh for everyday use and are geared more towards the hardcore enthusiasts.

Springs and shocks on the other hand don't offer any flexibility meaning you're stuck with the drop you've intially chosen. From what I've read, you sometimes don't even get that. -30mm springs might only drop by -20mm, which I think based purely on looks, would be a complete waste of money. However, from what I've read, they're meant to be more forgiving on a daily basis when compared to coilovers...?

So, first question is, will coilovers wound down -30/40mm provide an acceptable ride? Second question is will coilovers wound down to this degree be harder, softer, or pretty much the same as springs/shocks giving the same drop?

I'm putting a lot of thought into this because I think choice of suspension can either make or break a car. I DON'T WANT TO GET IT WRONG! The biggest problem I have is I don't have any actual experience of either springs & shocks or coilovers, so I'm relying entirely on the advice and experience of others.

Please help and sorry about the long post.

Thanks,
Ben.

Powered by the fuel of satan!

Offline iMation

• I live here
  • G SiXtY
Re: Suspension, suspension, suspension
« Reply #1 on: 07 October 2008, 21:12 »
springs and shocks mate :D just for the comfort factor, i love a hard ride ;) so i went for the coilies and the drop :D
Meh....

Offline linz

• I live here
  • vee-dub
« Reply #2 on: 07 October 2008, 21:28 »
ben i have coilovers and not even a top brand make i also use my car for everyday use in fact i use t fr pretty much everything and i have to say ride comfort is still great :)

Offline richcox88

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 07 October 2008, 23:05 »
hi

ive fitted coilovers to my 1.8t on monday v maxx brand same as jamex i think because they came highly reccomended and have the back wound all the way down with the adjuster cups still in place and the fronts are wound pretty much all the way down and the ride is much better than i expected i thought it was gona be well harsh but it absorbs the bumps nicely a bit bouncy but i love bouncing up and down its good fun :smiley:

as for driveshafts rubbing there not yet and still have clearance between the ar bar and the drive shaft but the car will probly lower more once the coilovers and springs have settled so ill have to adjust them up to stop any probs the mud flaps catch on speed bumps so i have to be careful im finding out how to adapt my driving style with coilies lol

Rich

Offline gtigin

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 07 October 2008, 23:20 »
hello mate ive ordered set of springs and shocks(janspeed)of ebay i put in a offer of 130pds and they accepted with postage 142pds not bad i thought,so when they arrive ill be sticking em on,ill put a thread up to say how they are and if i think there worth it  :smiley:

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #5 on: 08 October 2008, 07:54 »
tihnk you're confused now..... wait until you find out you've already got coilovers fitted.........

Offline iMation

• I live here
  • G SiXtY
« Reply #6 on: 08 October 2008, 08:00 »
tihnk you're confused now..... wait until you find out you've already got coilovers fitted.........

Thats a bit random Rhyso, elaborate plx
Meh....

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #7 on: 08 October 2008, 08:09 »

Thats a bit random Rhyso, elaborate plx

what does your spring do?? it coils around the shock and is actually referred to as coilover

however coilovers are presumed to be an upgrade - in reality the only difference is they are one unit and not seperate like the standard shock and spring and also adjustable damping etc etc
 :nerd:

Offline ben1.8T

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 08 October 2008, 08:35 »
Think im gonna get KW coilovers after I have got my wheels sorted.  :cool:
Golf SOLD. Replaced with a Yamaha Raptor 660 quad and loving it. This will be replaced in August with a Raptor 700. Sold the quad now got a Vectra GSI 2.5 V6 and its the nuts.

Brands Hatch massive. MEMBERSHIP ACCEPTED!

Offline iMation

• I live here
  • G SiXtY
« Reply #9 on: 08 October 2008, 09:15 »
what does your spring do?? it coils around the shock and is actually referred to as coilover

however coilovers are presumed to be an upgrade - in reality the only difference is they are one unit and not seperate like the standard shock and spring and also adjustable damping etc etc
 :nerd:

:nerd: indeed! ;)
Meh....