Author Topic: Knocking noise from engine bay - I'm thinking engine mounts?  (Read 7873 times)

Offline johnson6672

• I live here
Re: Knocking noise from engine bay - I'm thinking engine mounts?
« Reply #10 on: 02 August 2009, 12:53 »
Top mounts are suspension related, the bits at the top of the shock where it meets the inner wing.
Also check the wish bone mounts as i just checked mine and i think that might be where i am getting a knocking noise from, i will find out next week after i have changed them, luckely i have some in my garage, just not quite got round to changing them yet.
MK4 GTI T AGU, REVO Remap, BMC carbon box, Miltek cat back, Forge diverter valve, THS FR3 engine/Gbox mounts, Some random alloys, lowered on coilovers.
192bhp 212lbft torque.

Offline richw911

• 10k hero
  • The Linkmeister and an OEM Freak.

MKIV Mod Squad™ a part of the headlight police.

Offline bobbarley

• Serious forum addict
  • I'm kind of a big deal...
« Reply #12 on: 02 August 2009, 13:07 »
It's going into the garage then!  :grin:

Offline richw911

• 10k hero
  • The Linkmeister and an OEM Freak.
« Reply #13 on: 02 August 2009, 13:10 »
It's going into the garage then!  :grin:

lol  :grin:

MKIV Mod Squad™ a part of the headlight police.

Offline bobbarley

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #14 on: 02 August 2009, 13:14 »
I don't own spring compressors, and given the number of times the guide says BE CAREFUL when your hands are around that area, I think I'd be better getting a professional to do it  :smiley:

Offline topher

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
  • fully functioning
« Reply #15 on: 02 August 2009, 13:15 »
you don't even know if its top mounts.. get outside and have a good check over everything before it starts p!ssing down again! Have a look at your strut tops, if one of the mounts is crushed you'll see more poking out of the turret on one side.

Offline turbo.jon

• GTI forum regular
  • mk4 1.8t agu
« Reply #16 on: 02 August 2009, 14:13 »
look at the engine when you start it up, if it tries to escape you know you need new mounts lol

Like mine it rocked about loads mounts were shot to pieces loads better now with me ths mounts fitted but didnt fix the knocking  :angry:

Offline bobbarley

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #17 on: 02 August 2009, 16:03 »
The driver side top mount is noticably higher than the one on the passenger side.  But there doesn't *appear* to be any signs of perished rubber etc.  When I start the engine and rev it it moves, but I don't know if it's within acceptable limits or not.  If I pull the throttle cable hard the engine shifts say a centre metre, as do the mounts.

Offline Ivor Mk4 Turbo

• Forum addict
  • 2014 PP GTi Manual
« Reply #18 on: 02 August 2009, 16:18 »
My top mounts were an advisory on my MOT in May, but I only get a thud over the hardest of pot holes, TBH.
Current Car:- 2014 GTI PP manual, white.

Make way for..... 'The Silver Bullet'! 227 bhp, KO3-S'd AGU, R-TECH Spec 2 map 8), Forge 007P, Blueflame Turbo-back, Eibach -30mm's, YellowStuff front/RedStuff rear pads, Goodridge braided lines, TT Short-shifter, R32 Dogbone, TT W/B bushes, Forge TIP, G60 fly/VR6 clutch, 5.5 ltr washer bottle,

Car now for sale >>> http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=140614.0

Offline bobbarley

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #19 on: 02 August 2009, 16:48 »
I'll get a thud on even the smallest of bumps, tiny tiny little bumps.  When I got the springs replaced earlier in the year the garage never mentioned there being anything wrong with the top mounts, it massed the MOT with no advisories as well.  Below are a couple of photos I managed to take.

You can kind of make out the left mount is noticeably higher up than the right one.

Looks to be like the rubber has perished.

« Last Edit: 02 August 2009, 16:51 by bobbarley »