Author Topic: Knocking noise from engine bay - I'm thinking engine mounts?  (Read 7876 times)

Offline bobbarley

• Serious forum addict
  • I'm kind of a big deal...
I was just driving to the Trafford Centre, and noticed I could hear a faint knocking noise.  It sounds like two solid pieces of metal knocking into each other, but slightly muffled, like there's something between them, which gives a dull thud.  Happens when the car suddenly goes into a dip, or over a speed bump.

Reckon that sounds like engine mounts?  Or could it maybe be something suspension related?

I've had all the bushes replaced, and new springs, but if you remember my dog bone mount was absolutely perished last year, so I'm thinking it could be the rubber in the engine mounts gone?

Offline jonnyturbo

• Forum addict
Re: Knocking noise from engine bay - I'm thinking engine mounts?
« Reply #1 on: 01 August 2009, 16:47 »
Could be a dwarf in the engine bay bob. Lol. Yeh engine mounts sound supicious
Gone but still keeping a close eye on it...

Mk4 golf 1.8t AUM Hybrid K03s. Custom Mapped by R-tech to 260bhp. CR hybrid turbo Audi TT injectors / fuel pump, Forge tip,THS FMIC,Carbonio CAI, Full milltek turbo back, N249 bypass, Fully poly bushed, Weitec coils. Genuine R32 front bumper and Genuine R-line rear, Genuine Porsche twists, Anniversary black interior.

Offline richw911

• 10k hero
  • The Linkmeister and an OEM Freak.
« Reply #2 on: 01 August 2009, 20:57 »
Top mounts?  :undecided:

MKIV Mod Squad™ a part of the headlight police.

Offline turbo.jon

• GTI forum regular
  • mk4 1.8t agu
« Reply #3 on: 01 August 2009, 21:53 »
I have the same problem mine sounds like its coming from passenger front wheel its done it since i had it its been in garage and they changed front drop links and rear axle bushes and did seam a little better when i picked it up but few miles later its was back.I then had a look and found all 3 engine mounts were well worn i have now changed them and as before was a lot better for few miles then back again and now its even worse and its driving me mad looking at service paperwork with car the lower arms were changed 20k ago and still look ok so cant be that just running out of ideas so dont no if anyone else has any just to have a look at?

cheers

jon

Offline bobbarley

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 02 August 2009, 00:17 »
If the weathers good tomorrow I'll try to take a look at the mounts, and also the exhaust.

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #5 on: 02 August 2009, 00:22 »
Sounds more like top mounts.

Offline Wazzzer

• 10k hero
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
« Reply #6 on: 02 August 2009, 12:27 »
look at the engine when you start it up, if it tries to escape you know you need new mounts lol

1999 1.8T: R-Tech remap - 225bhp/256lb/ft : K03s : THS FMIC : THS PCR pipe : 2.5" stainless exhaust : THS FR3 Engine mounts : G60/VR6 clutch : Calibra Yellow injectors : VR6 MAF : Devils Own WMI : Forge 007p : Carbonio CAI : Leon Cupra R Brembos : FK AK Street coilovers : Votex skirts : Anniversary front : click ---> http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=92175

Offline bobbarley

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 02 August 2009, 12:45 »
It's definitely a weird one.  Sound is best described as two solid blocks on metal knocking into each other, but with something in between them to muzzle the thud.  Hence my thought mounts, two bits of metal with perished rubber between.

Offline richw911

• 10k hero
  • The Linkmeister and an OEM Freak.
« Reply #8 on: 02 August 2009, 12:47 »
It's definitely a weird one.  Sound is best described as two solid blocks on metal knocking into each other, but with something in between them to muzzle the thud.  Hence my thought mounts, two bits of metal with perished rubber between.

My money is on the top mounts as mine has this noise somtimes and i have replaced / upgraded the engine mounts ect  :wink:

MKIV Mod Squad™ a part of the headlight police.

Offline bobbarley

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 02 August 2009, 12:51 »
I'm not familiar with top mounts.  I thought there were just the engine mounts and the dog bone mount  :tongue:

The old man thought it would be the exhaust, if maybe it's come loose?