Author Topic: Mk2 Golf GL to ABF Build Thread  (Read 5257 times)

Offline mjj4

• Just got here
Mk2 Golf GL to ABF Build Thread
« on: 18 April 2012, 15:29 »
When a friend offered me a 1995 mk3 ABF for a bargain price i couldn't resist. I always wanted to build a mk2 ABF and after about 4 months of this ABF sitting on my drive, i finally bought a 1990 H reg 1.8gl.

completely standard, needs a few bits sorting but its one of the most solid shells i've seen.

Heres the ABF that im using as a donor car

I'm going to do some work on the mk2 tonight, and hopefully start stripping the mk3 down this week.

Rough plan is to use the ABF engine, 020 mk2 gearbox, mk2 subframe, mk2 gear selector, mk2 pedal box, cable clutch, rod change, cable speedo (mk2 clocks), mk3 petrol tank and lines, mk3 engine loom and mk2 lighting loom.

Will make up a to do list when i can think of one!

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
Re: Mk2 Golf GL to ABF Build Thread
« Reply #1 on: 18 April 2012, 19:18 »
i like this. nice wheels on the mk3

Offline mjj4

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 20 April 2012, 17:34 »
i like this. nice wheels on the mk3

Cheers i put them on my mk4 as temporary wheels so the mk3 is sitting on an array of corrado vr6 wheels and standard mk4 wheels!

Just a quick update, i managed to get hold of some BBS RA's as i want to go for a subtly modified car with an OEM look. They are black and i instantly thought i was going to have to paint them silver but on the car i think they look better than i expected and am unsure of what to do with them, any suggestions?

I've also put some coilovers on her as she will defo need them with the ABF in, i've removed the tow bar, lay flat the rear wiper and changed the back box as the old one was blowing (am looking for a replacement 8v gti or poss 16v gti original back box).

Please let me know your thoughts on the look as i have mixed thoughts.

Haven't started stripping the Mk3 down yet but that will come soon!

Cheers

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #3 on: 21 April 2012, 09:56 »
Don't understand why you're using the 020 gearbox?

Given that you have a complete G3 why don't you just drop the subframe and beam off it and transplant the lot, complete?
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline murraymint

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 21 April 2012, 10:08 »
Mk4 looks cool with them wheels on!  :cool:
josh

95 Mk3 golf 1.6 CL, 96 Mk3 golf gti 16v, 89 Mk2 Jetta GL97 Mk3 golf gti 16v, 99 bora 2ltr se, 83 mk1 golf 1.1, 15 polo 1.2 tsi

Offline mk2addict

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 21 April 2012, 14:05 »
Sounds good, I just put an abf lump in my 8v, I changed the box to 02a with hydrolic clucth, have you considered this as you have the mk3 donor car?  I'd strip the lighting loom out of the mk3 loom and just use the mk2 lighting loom, thats what I've done.

Offline mk2addict

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 21 April 2012, 14:06 »
Just read that again and you are using the mk2 lighting loom lol my bad.

Offline Simeon

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 21 April 2012, 20:10 »
Abf isn't going to cause any problems for an 020 'box and being a Gl it's probably a 4+e, which means you can skip the hassle of bashing up your bulkhead and you can drive a 2litre 16v with 160 bhp and still get over 40mpg on a run..

Nice project mate, crack on :wink:

Offline mrcooke

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 23 April 2012, 11:33 »
the wheels look great in black