Author Topic: 16V Backbox, need to fit on a GL  (Read 3790 times)

Offline Shady Pioneer

• Serious forum addict
  • graphic designer.
Re: 16V Backbox, need to fit on a GL
« Reply #10 on: 28 February 2009, 15:12 »
I thought the 1.8 had a straight system without the large centre box like the GTI etc (has a smaller inline silencer) ?   I know my 1.8 does (like the 1.4)  compleatly diffrent to my 16v,  but then yours is a much later model with the 90bhp engine i presume so might be diffrent?

I've just gone to collect it and measured the pipe leading out towards the system, it's 17cm around the pipe, I measured the one I've got on there too, again 17cm...so with any luck, might be a straight swap?

Offline shepgti

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 28 February 2009, 16:02 »
I thought the 1.8 had a straight system without the large centre box like the GTI etc (has a smaller inline silencer) ?   I know my 1.8 does (like the 1.4)  compleatly diffrent to my 16v,  but then yours is a much later model with the 90bhp engine i presume so might be diffrent?

I've just gone to collect it and measured the pipe leading out towards the system, it's 17cm around the pipe, I measured the one I've got on there too, again 17cm...so with any luck, might be a straight swap?

tbh it should fit fine, its just a case of will you need a joining 'sleeve' or a reducer to connect the 2 together... (btw got mine done  :grin:)

Offline Shady Pioneer

• Serious forum addict
  • graphic designer.
« Reply #12 on: 28 February 2009, 16:04 »
Well done man, did you smash the bugger in place? :P

I'll find out if it'll fit or not on Monday, gonna take it to the garage to be done.

Offline shepgti

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 28 February 2009, 16:56 »

I'll find out if it'll fit or not on Monday, gonna take it to the garage to be done.

used the grinder after my dad said 'what you need is a grinder... ive got it in the back of the truck' i was like ffs you could have said that 2 days ago!!!  :angry:

anyway why are you being a lazy git and getting the garage to fit it?

Offline Shady Pioneer

• Serious forum addict
  • graphic designer.
« Reply #14 on: 28 February 2009, 16:59 »

used the grinder after my dad said 'what you need is a grinder... ive got it in the back of the truck' i was like ffs you could have said that 2 days ago!!!  :angry:

anyway why are you being a lazy git and getting the garage to fit it?

Because I have noway of doing it here, it'll be done free as my mate will do it in his lunch brake I'm hoping, if not it's a quick job so won't charge much. Needs to be done properly lol!

Love the "what you need, is a grinder." LOL!

Offline LazyLunatic

• Forum addict
  • MK3 20VT Project
« Reply #15 on: 28 February 2009, 18:01 »
just a case of slide off, slide on. ohh and loosing and tightening a bracket and applying exhaust paste round the joints when you put on the new exhaust. like a 10 min jobby. well thats if it fits lol

glad you got one bud :)

Offline boneybradley

• Forum Supporter
  • Serious forum addict
  • Back in a Mk3...
« Reply #16 on: 28 February 2009, 18:15 »
like a 10 min jobby.

Thats jinxed it now!! (I was only saying last night how its amazing your engine was still working  :grin: :grin:)
Moderator of The Dub-Tug Squad!! (What some call the MK3 section!)

Full range of quality parts for your Volkswagen available at Oemandmore.co.uk

Offline LazyLunatic

• Forum addict
  • MK3 20VT Project
« Reply #17 on: 01 March 2009, 00:15 »
like a 10 min jobby.

Thats jinxed it now!! (I was only saying last night how its amazing your engine was still working  :grin: :grin:)

yeah i think a few things jinxed me today. like my dad saying "give me a call if anything goes wrong" and i had a bad feeling before i left that i forgot to sort out AA cover!! ohh and i had a thought the other day that i bet the engine wont last til the engine is ready to go in. about a couple weeks before. and guess what??!?! it did!!

sorry shady :lipsrsealed:

Josho

« Reply #18 on: 01 March 2009, 01:17 »
LL, what has been up with the engine.

Shady, probably will be a bastard now. I ended up kicking the joint off my dads old exhaust, from the middle box. Then he grinded off the hard joint on the pipes. It was SO solid it's untrue, I got it red hot and it wouldn't budge.

Offline LazyLunatic

• Forum addict
  • MK3 20VT Project
« Reply #19 on: 01 March 2009, 01:27 »
LL, what has been up with the engine.

Shady, probably will be a fatherless son now. I ended up kicking the joint off my dads old exhaust, from the middle box. Then he grinded off the hard joint on the pipes. It was SO solid it's untrue, I got it red hot and it wouldn't budge.

check my dub rides thread, not good news for the 1.4 engine. dont ever say your 1.4 is bomb proof! they are,  until you say it and jynx it!