Author Topic: F1 Thread  (Read 285665 times)

Offline Khare

• Serious forum addict
  • The bear that khares
Re: F1 Thread
« Reply #3000 on: 06 February 2012, 17:54 »
Reason why mclaren haven't got a stepped nose is because they didn't keep the chassis high, they lowered it in sacrifice to avoid the stepped nose. This is what Scarbs had to say

Lower nose less space for airflow, but lower CofG, better suspension geo, it could pay off with better laptimes

ScarbsF1 is making some interesting findings. All Ferrari powered cars (Ferrari, Sauber and STR) have tiny cooling ducts. STR have an interesting air scoop under the normal position for the airbox intake. This is for engine cooling, but it's an unusual position. Red bull has a duct in the step on the nose, some say it's for KERS cooling, others say it's an F-duct type device, others say it's to create positive pressure in the cockpit. We shall wait and see. Lotus also have some blank panels on the side of the roll hoop. These panels are believe that they could be future cooling ducts.

Offline smitty12

• I live here
  • R32
« Reply #3001 on: 06 February 2012, 18:06 »
hmmm the toro ross seems very similar to the red bull as usual with a couple of extra add ons... red bull test car, should be band!!

I cant wait to see this Marussia, it will be built like a tank!

Mk7 Golf GTI Clubsport S Tornado Red - on the way!
Mk4 Golf R32 Grey Anthracite Pearl Effect
Mk4 Golf GTI 2.slow Yellow Colour Concept

Offline Khare

• Serious forum addict
  • The bear that khares
« Reply #3002 on: 06 February 2012, 18:07 »
hmmm the toro ross seems very similar to the red bull as usual with a couple of extra add ons... red bull test car, should be band!!

I cant wait to see this Marussia, it will be built like a tank Mk2!

Offline scarr89

• I live here
  • Mk4 Golf, DERV FTW!
« Reply #3003 on: 06 February 2012, 18:19 »

:grin:

Too funny.

How would positive pressure help in the cockpit? Also with the F duct thing didn't they ban that, so surely it couldn't be to do with that...Interesting!

Offline Khare

• Serious forum addict
  • The bear that khares
« Reply #3004 on: 06 February 2012, 18:49 »

:grin:

Too funny.

How would positive pressure help in the cockpit? Also with the F duct thing didn't they ban that, so surely it couldn't be to do with that...Interesting!

No idea how cockpit pressure benefits, but it's something Scarbs suggested, as well as F-duct like device. The only thing I can think of is that under the car it's negative pressure thanks to diffuser, and so by applying positive pressure on the top, it pushes the car down further? I really don't know much about aerodynamics to be honest. And although F-duct is banned, it doesn't stop teams from inventing new ways of creating/removing downforce on demand.

Offline ashw831

• I live here
« Reply #3005 on: 06 February 2012, 20:59 »

Offline Roverdose

• Here all the time
  • So long and thanks for all the fish!
« Reply #3006 on: 06 February 2012, 21:14 »
errrrrrr, they've all got funny foreheads at redbull, and vettel looks more and more femenine every time i see him. Does anyone know if the testing at jerez will be televised or streamed?

VeeDubGTI16v

« Reply #3007 on: 06 February 2012, 21:18 »
autosport have some sort of coverage i believe, no proper live timing or tv coverage though

Offline The Mighty Elvi

• I live here
  • I'm better than you today.
« Reply #3008 on: 06 February 2012, 21:26 »

No idea how cockpit pressure benefits, but it's something Scarbs suggested, as well as F-duct like device. The only thing I can think of is that under the car it's negative pressure thanks to diffuser, and so by applying positive pressure on the top, it pushes the car down further? I really don't know much about aerodynamics to be honest. And although F-duct is banned, it doesn't stop teams from inventing new ways of creating/removing downforce on demand.

" I really don't know much about aerodynamics to be honest."

NO WAI!

So....they design a diffuser to lift the car off the ground  (Really.. Why?.... :rolleyes:)

... and then the design the cockpit to produce positive pressure to push the car down  (thereby negating the diffuser)   :rolleyes:

Offline smitty12

• I live here
  • R32
« Reply #3009 on: 06 February 2012, 21:41 »
one thing i noticed which the other cars dont seem to have is a couple of holes in the body work above the air intakes on the side of the car

any clues?

Mk7 Golf GTI Clubsport S Tornado Red - on the way!
Mk4 Golf R32 Grey Anthracite Pearl Effect
Mk4 Golf GTI 2.slow Yellow Colour Concept